Author Topic: 2010 NW Reunion  (Read 6328 times)

Offline landsendlynda

Re: 2010 NW Reunion
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 08:24:38 PM »
I have to say, that short of being on the salt, this was a highlight of the year!  The Reunion gives the aura of the beginning of racing for the year!!  Freud outdid himself again this year!  It was wonderful to see everyone in person, putting a face to some of the names I've become familiar with, and having the chance to visit with no one being stressed or preoccupied with their builds.  There were several faces that were missing from the crowd and their absence was felt. 

I had a lovely visit with Glen's daughter Tami, I sat at their table, and yes Glen, we talked about you!!  We even talked about Jon and Nancy, Cris and Ed Shearer, Stainless, and I believe there was mention of there being enough food with Jon Amo not being there...oh, wait, I'm the one that said that!   :-D

Anyway, there were a lot more names dropped for people that were missing.  Prozac and Judy were there for the first time and Judy told us a little about the scholarships that SCTA/BNI have started...details are on the SCTA/BNI site.  It was all very exciting!!

Bret, of course, was his normal dynamic self and had each table try to describe Bonneville in one word...not easily done!...some choices made were:  Spiritual; Sacred; Mystical; Magical; Family; etc.. but the word that Bret used was Love.  Talk about being accurate!!  It is the best description anyone could think of!!  We Love the salt.  We love the vastness.  We love the sunrises.  We love the speed.  But most of all....We LOVE each member of our racing family and it continues to grow every year.

So, since this is Valentines day, please allow me to express that love to each of you.
All of you are an irreplaceable piece of my heart.  You each share your dream of speed with me and allow me to be a part of that dream.  It is that love that helps keep my heart beating and I want you to know that I return that Love as purely and honestly to you, as you do to me.

So, I hope your Valentine's Day was all you wanted it to be and I'll see you on the salt in August!

Until then:  Stay Safe; Go Fast; Stay Upright!

Lynda

Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Freud

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 01:13:27 AM »
On the day before the Reunion, I wish the world would open up and swallow the event....So far it hasn't happened. Saturday has so much

occurring for me that it is a blur. 5 PM arrives. Guests arrive. It's underway. The prayer, remembering the men and women that are away

from home making it possible for us to live a secure life, each persons self introduction and food time. It's no reflection on catering but I

never eat there. It gives me a few minutes to contemplate the remainder of the evening.

Finally, turn the party over to someone else to finalize the evening.

This year that "some one else" was TV Personality Bret Kepner. ESPN and Fox drag racing voice. I don't even know when I hooked up with

him. I have no recall of how we started our conversation but soon one thing was established: we have the same birthday. He's young

enough  to be my son but old enough in experience to have written the 10 Commandments. He had intended to attend in 2009 but a back

surgery made that impossible.  He used his time well as he prepared for this year. The dude was a KNOCK OUT !!!!!!

His presentation was long but spell binding. I have had people complain that the speaker was too long winded. This time, no one

considered leaving early. His analysis of the Bonneville Racer wormed it's way into the soul of all of us. He allowed us to realize that the

Salt Racer family is bonded by a love of racing, competition, comradery and most importantly each other, that outsiders can not

understand.  Bret, next time don't hold back.

When I realized that his sermon was about to conclude, I wished that Saturday night could go on forever.

My Friday wishes were replaced by a sigh of relief and realization that I was looking forward to Saturday February 19, 2011.  Then I began

to think about the 2010 events at Boneville.

I'm home tonight. I'm making the same promises to my self about the Bonneville NW Reunion for 2011 as you are for Speed Week 2010.

I can not begin to convey my THANKS to my wife, Doris, for tolerating the time I spend working toward a fun time for all of you, being

gone on most of Valentines Day, leaving her with the responsibility of coping with the things at home while I disappear for several days

after being a zombie for the week prior to the gathering.

I hope that I personally thanked each guest. I was overjoyed to see the young ladies that attended with their Dads. Judie and Prozac were

first timers and I hope that they will return. Tom And Jeff Bryant added so much by showing us dedication to a way of life that has covered

over 40 years and showing us what courage is all about.

I was also privileged to share the evening with our son, Gary. This was his first time and it was a joy to have him with me. He was my

wrench when I ran the TZ 750 years ago and also the one that said to me, " hang on a minute Pop. I'm about finished here and I'll make

that bolt for you."  We were laying under a Hughes 500 D helicopter on the island of Molokai in Hawaii, in a driving rain storm, attaching

two motorcycles to the landing skids and it was our only opportunity to do a foto shoot for a "can you top this" story in CYCLE MAGAZINE.

The story was so great that Malcomb Forbes called me about it and the story would never have happened without him covering my

backside.

The staff at the Shilo Inn make it so nice for me to work with them

I hope all of you have enjoyed the same glow that I am experiencing tonight and I am planning on eliminating Friday, February 18,

2011 from my calendar because that would allow Saturday February 19, 2011 to arrive one day sooner.

After all of the years I have been the fotog, this year Ray the Rat took over and has documented the weekend. It was with total confidence

I went thru the evening knowing that we would have a beautiful group of pictures to post for all of you to enjoy. Go to

www.bonnevillenwreunion.com to see his fotos but since he is still here in Everett with me, don't look before Wednesday.

For those that attended, give me your comments. I can stand the heat, I promise.

Thank You or attending and  I LOVE ALL OF YOU,

FREUD

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:54:37 AM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 11:49:51 AM »
Ray therat concluded his posting on bonnevillenwreunion.com on Friday. There are 3 groups of images.

The NAE Friday night talk, Steve's Auto Restoration tour and the banquet dinner.

Have a look at them and share a part of our experiences.

FREUD
Since '63