Author Topic: "Non Stock Supercharger" rule question  (Read 11531 times)

Offline Grant Borman

"Non Stock Supercharger" rule question
« on: November 02, 2009, 08:13:06 PM »
Im starting to build a 1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse Gst and have a classification question.  The car comes with a mitsubishi 14b turbo and i would like to run a larger non mitsubishi turbo such as a garret gt35/40.  In my opinion this would be considered a non stock supercharger but it in the Production Supercharged class it seems a little vague "if the vehicle was originally equipped with one turbocharger, one turbocharger shall be used".  Kind of makes it seem like the only way i could give the g/bgc record a run for its money is if I ran a supercharger or installed another turbo since it comes stock with 1 turbo.

Thanks,
Grant

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: "Non Stock Supercharger" rule question
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 08:25:21 PM »
Grant, all the rule is saying is if the car had a supercharger you can't use a turbo & vice versa.

Use any turbo you want if it came with same.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Grant Borman

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 08:38:54 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply Dynoroom

So you think i should be ok to run in g/bgc as long as i don't run the stock 14b turbo?

After re reading the book i think what you mentioned was probably their intent.

So i can run any turbo in G/PS?
Any turbo except the 14b in G/BGC?

Only reason i ask is because the G/BGC seems really soft  compared to the G/PS record which seems like fairly similar classes.

Thanks,
Grant

McRat

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 08:51:26 PM »
IIRC:

In production supercharged, your car will have to run 1 turbo of any make and size.  No exceptions.  Twins, centrifugals, roots, etc, are a no-no.

In Gas Coupe, you must have either:

A non-stock supercharger (nope, you are factory supercharged)
A quick change axle (???)
An engine swap

You could run a centrifugal blower or run twins, and that MIGHT pass.

But if you do not have any of those mods, my understanding is you MUST run PS.

Offline Grant Borman

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 09:21:12 PM »

An engine swap

So are you trying to say that since my car came with a turbo there is no exhaust driven single turbo that would qualify?  Unless my quick change 5th gear cluster woudl count it seems like im kind of SOL without an engine swap.

Im trying to understand the intent of this rules but I have a feeling they didn't intend for a fwd turbocharged import when this class was made.  :-)

Offline Geo

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 09:57:36 PM »
Grant,

Without any of a few major changes (not supercharged related because you are turbo already) to get in Gas Coupe you will run Production Supercharged and in PS you can run any turbo that is like the factory from huge found on mining ore carrying diesels to tiny earring size.  The turbo must be a turbo of the same design but could be of a different size and from a different manufacturer.

Geo

Offline biglady112

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 11:51:41 PM »
We run our turbo mitsubishis and DSM's in the P/S classes. We run very large garrett and holset turbos without question in these classes. You can run whatever turbo you would like in this class.

Not sure if the record was broke the past few years, but my 2006 book shows the G/BGC record at 186. That is still a bit tough to do. It is going to take you 500-550whp or so to accomplish this goal in a dsm. I know this first hand. And a hell of a cooling system. I know this first hand as well with a dsm at the salt. Seen it twice now. Nick Sutton's 1G and the retired Mile HIgh Talon 2G. That class appears you can run any turbo you want though.

Good luck and I am looking forward to seeing another mitsubishi out there.

Steven
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 04:13:08 PM »

An engine swap

So are you trying to say that since my car came with a turbo there is no exhaust driven single turbo that would qualify?  Unless my quick change 5th gear cluster woudl count it seems like im kind of SOL without an engine swap.

Im trying to understand the intent of this rules but I have a feeling they didn't intend for a fwd turbocharged import when this class was made.  :-)

Intent of the rule: to allow something like a Camaro to run a Big Block Chevy or a Hemi.  This is an engine swap obivously. 

The other intent is to let a Camaro run a forced induction Small Block Chevy.  So this is the stock type engine but with non-stock forced induction.  Notice I said forced induction.  Don't get wrapped up in the words too much.  Just because it says "non-stock supercharger" doesn't solely mean superchargers.  It means non-stock forced induction ie turbo, roots blower, centrifugal blower, etc.  Turbo motors are considered "supercharged". 

The last intent is the quick change rear end.  This would be a Camaro with a Halibrand, Winters, Franklin, etc., quick change type rear differential

If you have a FWD import here is what you need to run in Gas Coupe: 1) take something that was non-forced induction and force induce it ie non-turbo motor that is now turbocharged.  2) do an engine swap ie a B16 Honda into a VW Rabbit.  3)  I don't think a quick change rear end applies to a FWD car.

If you car came with a turbo and you don't change the body at all then you run in Production Supercharged.  If you do something to your car to make it illegal for the production classes like an engine swap or aerodynamic mods then you either run GC, ALT or CC. 

El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

McRat

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 04:40:05 PM »
If his heart is set on BGC, then I wonder how they would rule a centrifugal blower mounted on it, or twins?  This would not be "factory supercharging" by PS definition, so would that make it "non-factory supercharging"?

Offline Grant Borman

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 06:00:07 PM »
If his heart is set on BGC, then I wonder how they would rule a centrifugal blower mounted on it, or twins?  This would not be "factory supercharging" by PS definition, so would that make it "non-factory supercharging"?

Well it appears im not simply reading over something.  I will be sending somone from the SCTA an email asking if i can run a supercharger along with a turbo to qualify for this class.

Funny thing is the 186mph record is held by "Option-Saikosoku-180sx" which is a factory turbocharged 1.8l hmmmm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_180SX

McRat

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 06:22:16 PM »
If you go to www.scta-bni.org there is a form there for rule clarification.

It is possible that if that 180sx ran BGC, that it was either a N/A model that was supercharged or swapped.  Guess it could have a quick-change, but looks like it's gears are fine past 200 if my math is right.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 06:34:01 PM »
[
[/quote]

Sorry, there was no such thing as a turbocharged FWD import when that class was made! :roll:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Grant Borman

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 11:10:18 AM »
I got this from the SCTA.

If I understand you correctly, the car came from the factory with a turbo.
The Gas Coupe and Sedan class is for vehicles that did not come with turbos
from the factory. Turbo cars run in 5.E.2 page 56 Production Supercharged.

Mike Manghelli

Kinda wanted to start with something more achievable then move up to G/BFA but i guess i will start there.

Offline Dreamweaver

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 11:55:47 AM »
Not that I know a darn thing, but can't you configure/claim the car as an Eclipse GS DOHC NA and then turbocharge it to get into BGC?

Isn't that how the game is played? :)

Offline jb2

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 11:59:56 AM »
stuck in GC then because I am not sure you could then claim that it came from the factory with the turbo to run PS.