Author Topic: 4 Questions for V4F/MR  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Genuine GM

• Ignorance is NOT bliss.
4 Questions for V4F/MR
« on: November 02, 2009, 10:09:13 AM »
I know that you can cast a head for V4F, but what about machining a billet piece? 

Can I change the position of the spark plug in the head?

Can I change the intake and exhaust port shape as long as they remain in the factory position?

Can the exhaust exit under the body as long as it is not directed at the salt and the driver compartment is sealed from possible fumes?

Don’t let the troubles in your head, steal too much time, you’ll soon be dead - so play. You Never Know – DMB

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: 4 Questions for V4F/MR
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 10:17:55 AM »
Here is a home made head on a V4F.  I am not  a V4F guy, but I believe all those things you asked are legal including adding extra mains to the crank as long as you don't move the bore centers and the cam location around like some have done  :-o.  A while back I drew a multi-lift system like Riley did for the Model T for a model B for a V4F racer.  Tony

“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 12:55:08 PM »
You can and I do run a billet head in V4F. You may move or add spark plugs. I did. You can port to your hearts content even cut in new ports. All the good old Hot Rod things people have been doing for years. It was my understanding that adding main bearings was not allowed. That may not be true. Don't know what happened there. Usual thing I guess. I would have posted a picture of a Billet head that I ran but this system is to frustrating for me.

Offline Genuine GM

• Ignorance is NOT bliss.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 01:25:19 PM »
How about the air inlet ducted to the carb?  I didn't see any restrictions on where it is located.
Don’t let the troubles in your head, steal too much time, you’ll soon be dead - so play. You Never Know – DMB

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 04:47:04 PM »
You can have an air scoop. You might look at 4.B Air Intakes. Also what class are you thinking of running in? Things that are OK in a Lakester may not fly in a Street Roadster. You might want to check with the person listed on page 166-167 of the current rule book as the chairman of your category. You do have a rule book?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 05:04:55 PM »
Echoing what Rich says -- rules are different in the different categories and classes regarding air intakes and air scoops (not the same thing) and not necessarily retricted to certain engine classes such as V4F.  You need the Rule Book.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 05:06:11 PM »
And now being a little more perceptive -- I see you're taling MR.  Front or rear?  May differ here, too.

Stan some more.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records