Author Topic: 2 turbos, or 1  (Read 13881 times)

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
2 turbos, or 1
« on: February 20, 2004, 05:19:00 PM »
I got a deal on a box of turbos.. I was wondering if it would be better to run 1 large turbo, or if 2 (1 for each bank of a v-8) smaller turbos would spool faster? As far as complexity of the setup.. either way is workable for me just don't know what would be best.

Offline RaceDeck

• New folks
    • http://www.racedeckracing.com
Re: 2 turbos, or 1
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 06:55:00 PM »
Going with one may give you a bit more reliablity...just one less "set up" to go wrong. are you planning on running fuel injection with electronics or manual set ups....can get tricky with that much boost being slammed in the motor.
Jorgen
 RaceDeckRacing

Ryan

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 09:26:00 PM »
Stick with a single turbo. What you mention about spooling up faster at bottom end, hurts top end and could sent the smaller turbo's into surge. Surge is where shaft speed is so high, the compressor inducers cannot "grip" the air. It's basically a run-away because exhaust continues to drive the turbine. The shaft will slow allowing the compressor fins (exducers) to grab air again. Now speed this event up to super-sonic speed and now you understand turbo surge. A large shaft turbo like a Garret T3 will take some surge, in fact I've seen a few where the compressor wheel nut had come off, it can't ingest the nut so it just wrecks the inducer fins. Completely rebuildable though.

Wouldn't have any Hitachi turbo's in that box would you???

Oh, you can "stage" turbo's. Staging turbo's is common in tractor pulling. Staging just two turbo's can build over 150psi. Crazy isn't it? Most pro-Mod drag bikes run 50Psi, that's enought to lift the cylinder block off the case. Even with APE's good studs & nuts. You'll see then run the oil externally to the head as the Kawasaki main oil passage to the head is one of the cylinder stud holes. Oil goes around the stud up to the head.

A critical area when installing a turbocharger is drainage. The turbo must drain properly or excess oil in the cavity will foam up causing pressure to build up, overheats the shaft bearings, bad.

A good turbo system to copy is the Porsche. They use a compressor bypass, when the throttle blades close, vacuum is instantly made on the engine side of the blade, boost will dead-head the compressor wheel. A compressor bypass is basically a diaphragm operated blowoff valve. Vacuum ported in front of the throttle blade opens the valve allowing boost to vent. Sounds like a whip cracking when shifting on my bike. I have an HKS valve with a 7/8ths hole. Fuel injection uses a rising rate adjustable fuel pressure regulator. When ignition is turned on, fuel pump starts, static fuel pressure is about 42psi. At 28psi of boost I see about 80psi of fuel pressure. This richens the injectors as boost rises and maintains a nice fuel curve. Lean-out will melt pistons very quickly. Older systems faught lean-out constantly. Carburetors can't richen at the rate nessassary, some did a great job at low boost pressures but for those modified turbo's making above 20psi, it's hard to put that much fuel through a carburetor. Consider this. I ran 5 gallons of race fuel through a 738cc engine in less then one hour.

Offline smitty2

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 02:26:00 AM »
Wow! thanks for the info!
  I don't have any Hitachies, but I did wind up with 3 Garret T3s. 2 of them have galled shafts..1 has broken compressor blades.. But I think I could get 1 good one out of the whole mess. I really wasn't thinking of going too high with the boost 10-12 pounds would be more than enough. This project is more of a "Proof of concept". (Read that as "Low Budget".)
  Motor will have an EFI setup so I won't have to worry about presurizing a carb.
  Thanks for the excellent information.. It will take me awhile to digest it all, but you have gotten me to thinking (Something I'm not well known for.LOL)
  Smitty

Ryan

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 02:50:00 PM »
Something people do with those T3's is swap compressor wheels. All T3 wheels are the same overall diameter & shaft size. You can replace a 40 trim wheel with a super 60 trim wheel. Of cource the compressor housing would need machined to open up the inlet snout.

I'm not a turbo know-it-all but, I have talked with a lot of rebuilders, some even in person haha. You always hear "if the wheels have so much as tinged the housings, it's shot" Nothing could be as far from the truth!! While visiting a rebuilder shop, an employee walked up to a sandblast cabinet with a bucket full of turbine shafts/wheels and dumped them into the cabinet.
    That makes you feel a little odd. At home your so carefull, even setting one down, you lay a cloth on the bench first...

The Hitachi turbo. What I did was nothing new, rebuilders had been mixing & matching parts in them for years. A T2 uses dynamic seals same as the Hitachi. It just so happends the T2's is a little bit thicker and has to be file fit about .004. Zero end gap on dynamic seals is desired. There are two styles of turbo seals. Dynamic, which look like piston rings. And mechanical seals, which look like water pump seals, having carbon/steel seal faces that rub. Sometimes there is no choice which seals to use. Say with a draw-through turbo setup. Once you see a good turbo system, draw-thoughs make you cringe. Never throttle a turbo from the inlet. This is what a draw-through does. Think of putting your hand over the inlet snout of the turbo right after a dyno pull. Get the picture? Sucking oil through the seals is never good.

A compressor bypass on a free blowing turbo really helps. Don't confuse a bypass with a blow-off. Blow-off's are set to release boost at a set pressure. Indy cars used them to regulate horsepower. Drivers said when they popped, it was like putting on the brakes.

Last year I built a big Hitachi for a friend. I used a T3/50 trim compressor wheel. A while back I had a machinist make several backing plates to make swapping wheels in the Hitachi possible. Otherwise installing a Garrett wheel requires reducing the boss on the back of the wheel. (I used an old valve grinder & did it myself) and grinding some of the boss on the front of the wheel so the nut will go on, I bullet shaped that boss while I was at it. A 50 trim wheel takes some horsepower to spin, so the turbine wheel needed some help. I looked around for a suitable turbine but ended up having a local welder, weld up the ends of the exducer fins. I ground the welds myself and made sure the blade thickness was consistant. This sounds easy and it might be but, it took me 16 hours to grind & shape the fins. I did my own clipping. Let me add in here that clipping the exducer fins lower back-pressure and has nothing to do with loosing drive power of the turbine. Anyway, I couldn't machine the radious on the fins myself, nor could I machine out the exhaust housing for this, now larger wheel. And of course balancing the whole assy. I drew up some prints, took pictures & made 8X10 glossy's with circles & arrows and writing on the back, then headed out to a rebuider.

This gets confusing I know. I've had compressor housings machined for larger compressor wheels. It's not that expensive and rebuilders don't seem to mind doing it. The only problem is, remember the remark I made about "even if the wheel slighly touched the housing, it was trash?" Well, after having your compressor machined, it will look like trash. They work, don't get me wrong but, the radious (if you can even call it that) doesn't come close to matching the wheels radious. I used clay to make an impression of a 40 trim wheel. Poured plaster into the clay etc. had a nice plug with the radious needed so the machinist could maybe use a tracer on his CNC lathe. What he did was, bored the inlet hole on the lathe, then sat down with a Dotco and sanded that radious by hand until the wheel stopped rubbing. Sound like precision to you? Like I mentioned prior, it works great, no trouble at all, makes enough boost to scare my friend so he's gone back to a smaller turbo until he's ready for that much power.

Right now I'm at the stage where I want to do my own "everything" Enco has a 12 X 36 lathe I need. Saving up $2100.00 is tough, plus lifting a 1000lb machine into the house.... Always something. I must add Saum Engineering made a wonderfull compressor housing for me. It took a few years off his life getting the .0010 tollerance and he never wants to see another one but, he shows that the radious can be made to match the compressor wheel, same a stock. I've had all kinds of ideas like, making a screw-in adjustable valute (inlet's radious area), adaptable screw in inserts for different inducer widths. Long list...

If anyone wants to talk turbo's probably be better to email me & we can swap phone numbers...

<small>[ February 21, 2004, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Ryan ]</small>

Cal

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 04:46:00 PM »
As for the 12x36 lathe, I got one very similar to the Enco at Harbor Frieght on sale for $1750.  You can easily place it where you want with a engine hoist "cherrry picker."

Offline smitty2

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 01:47:00 PM »
Thanks Ryan! Sorry to be so late getting back to you. I've decided to go with just the EFI for now. I sure do appreciate the Garret info, and will use it when I can come up with enough scratch to get one on the engine..( I shouldn't have let my wife look at the checkbook!)
  Do you recomend any type of rebuild manual, or any books on these T3s that would be helpful?
  One nice thing about being middle aged is that unlike a 20 year old.. We are not affraid to say we are ignorant about a subject  :D  

Thanks... Smitty

Ryan

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2004, 01:27:00 PM »
Hello Smitty,
 There are books that explain AR (on exhaust and compressor housings)sizing a turbo to an engine and mostly general information but, modifying a turbo? Mostly I've seen magazine articles where they show what wheel was used but no information about what wheel is shown beside the stock for compairison. Garrett T3's can swap compressor housings and exhaust housings to get different AR's

What I did was, stick a Garrett wheel in a Hitachi. Actually different wheels depending on what level of horsepower I wanted out of the engine. Same 750cc motorcycle engine at that. The hitachi has a very large turbine shaft, someone was playing around an noticed a Garrett T3 wheel fit the shaft. Not without some material off the bosses and making a new backing plate but rebuilders do sometimes fit different wheels in a turbo to "repair" it.

I've read arguments about "clipping" exhaust turbine fins. It's true that new design wheels are different and do not need this. If you look at the end of a turbine wheel straight in, as if looking through the shaft as if it was center bored. Called "exducers" these fins look bent over, just about 90 degrees. When you clip these fins, your not actually grinding flat across to remove some of the bent-over exducer. Strength would be lost where the fin joins the shaft. I use a 84 degree taper. What clipping does in the first place is reduce exhaust backpressure. It does not affect driving power of the turbine wheel. This where arguments start. Inside the scroll of the exhaust turbine. Exhaust is funneled down to the cut (cutwater) this is where the exducer tips are driven. Gasses are at maximum pressure at this point. As gas flows through the exducer, the longer the fin is, the more pushing force it can exert. This makes good sence however, the longer the exducer fins are, the less opening there is to allow gas to escape.

Finding the balance or how much to clip, takes a exhaust pressure guage. There is a formula to stay within between intake boost pressure and exhaust gas pressure. I can't get into cam timing or this post would never end. Lets take a factory turbo cam installed per the card specs for now. This will have a short overlap event.

For the hitachi I was working with, no larger AR housings were available, in fact it's a rare turbo to find. The T3 wheel was staggering larger then the stock hitachi's. Leaving the exhaust turbine exducers "unclipped" and fitting the turbo to the engine. Power came on softer and pulled great then nose-dived at about 7000 rpm. A quick point here; once a turbo engine has no resistance, like when it tops out, boost pressure drops and power does as well. Never gear a turbo engine lower, gear it to pull a load and it'll make more boost, therefore power. This is strange, while out cruising on the highway, the road curved into a headwind. My boost guage showed about 8psi more boost suddenly a the bike faught the headwind. To me I felt nothing and did not twist more throttle to it. Boost was taking care of how much horsepower was needed. This is the resistance I speak of. It's difficult to discuss these oddities with someone who's never felt a turbo at work. Anyway, since the bike nosed-over at 7000 I clipped .100 off the exducers, rebalanced the assy and this helped a ton. This engine has stock cams, no degreeing work, stock exhaust pipes into the turbo, some porting to remove bumps ect but nothing major.

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 04:58:00 PM »
For the "collective",
   I just installed a new Garrett on a project and oil is leaking past the seal on the exhuast side. Any help on where to send this for a new seal? Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline RaceDeck

• New folks
    • http://www.racedeckracing.com
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 05:35:00 PM »
Have you run it under any real load yet? You may find that once the boost starts to build it will seal. If you have oil build up in there right now it may take a while to burn out.
 It is a ball bearing turbo?
Jorgen
 RaceDeckRacing

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 11:05:00 AM »
Jorgen,
   Yup, under load it gives a great crop duster effect. It was sold to me as new and appears to be. Ball bearing? I don't know as I can't get it apart. The S/N is C113460 XB383DEV with .40 A/R intake and .35 A/R exhaust. Any light you can shed on this is appreciated. Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline joea

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2004, 09:54:00 PM »
Sam, dbb turbos require mush less oil
 to operate properly,  you may have to
 put a restrictor in the supply line, in
 addition, your return line is immensely
 important, does it gravity return, is there
 ample drop from turbo to where you are dumping back into pan?  is it dumping back into a low or non
 windage area?

curious Joe  :)

Offline smitty2

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2004, 12:21:00 AM »
Ryan... Yes I'm seeing the light on what you're telling me about load! Our turboshafts in the helicopters were always acting against a load even if the rotors were out of play, because they had the resistance of the gearbox to work against. I guess that would be considered a torque load. I hope I don't start sounding like FR, but I understand the SR71 had problems with "Runaway". Kind of sounds like what you are telling me about gearing.
  thanks man.. You have gotten me to actually think about something other than overtime, and bills!
   Smitty

Ryan

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2004, 09:13:00 AM »
Naaa your nowhere close to FR. He was a pro, a real case of himself hehe.

I don't think restricting oil flow to the turbo is a good thing. The bearings need pressure then drain into teh cavity. The death of a turbo can be carbon buildup behind the turbine wheel. As carbon builds up it pulls the shaft & puts a load on the thrust bearing. This in turn wears on the seal. There are several reasons why a turbo blows oil. Depending on the type of seals, can have either or depending on what the guy ordered when bought new. Dynamic seals look like piston rings, excesive end gap will certainly blow oil out the exhaust. It has to come apart regardless. Just be sure to mark the wheels so they stay in balance. Rebuild kits are cheapest from Majestic in Texas.

Offline joea

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2004, 07:39:00 PM »
be advised its easy to "over oil"
 a DBB cartridge, especially with the
 oil pressure available from modern
 bike engines,  that is why oil restrictors
 are needed in these cases

but dont listen to me, ask those who do this
 for a living, ie innovative turbo, Mr. Turbo
 etc, that is the advice I am passing on, your mileage
 and smoke may vary   :)  :)