Author Topic: TRUCK OR COUPE?  (Read 22727 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: TRUCK OR COUPE?
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2009, 04:38:28 PM »
Ya know, there're size differences in all the classes.  In the premiere classes, such as roadster, there's quite a size difference between a Bantam and a Cadillac.  Same for coupes.  Some race what they like, and some like what they race.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RichFox

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2009, 04:57:20 PM »
here is Wayn Philips' Jeep pickup. It races in Mini-midi. It's pretty big compaired to the Chevy Luv that holds the record. So far I have not heard Wayn complain. He knew that when he got the truck. It is not a body on frame it is a US made unibody mid size truck. It is not a car/truck like a Ranchro or El Camino. So it races in a truck class. A Dodge Rampage or the VWs Rabbit type pickups have been allowed in Mini-Midi pickup. They are front wheel drive. I don't expect to see one with a SBC inot soon. If your building one I would suggest getting your acceptance early and in writing.

longshots

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2009, 05:23:47 PM »
Oh no one's complaining. I just thought it was worthy of discussion like the original post question.
Working within the rulebook is one of the best parts of the game and this sport certainly doesn't need another class or class breakdown.

Maybe my recessive genes are no longer willing to recede ....... and I am in the market for a rusty deep freezer.......

Offline RichFox

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2009, 06:40:52 PM »
Somebody should ask the powers that be if a Flacon ranchro could run in Mini/Midi pickup. The precedent has surly been set with the Rabbit pickups. That is if someone really wants to run a Falcon in Mini/Midi Pickup. Maybe not as satisfying as a discussion but more likely to get an answer that means something.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
I went to the Rules Meeting Saturday and the mid-minis were discussed.  Mind you that this meeting was only for recommendations and the Board would vote later after the wording was cleaned up.  But, as I remember, the issue was to allow the new, smaller European car/trucks to compete in the Mid-Mini classes.  It was brought up that Rancheros (I suspect all) and El Caminos were already covered in the Rule Book and would stay that way.  And that the new, smaller, more car-like and aero car/trucks (as seen above) would be allowed.  That's what was recommended.  We'll wait and see if this is even addressed in the book and from what I can tell they're not disallowed and the VW's and Rampages are already competing.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RichFox

« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2009, 08:01:20 PM »
Last Falconcharo I remember was Gillette's Blue Blade. Pretty cool little truck. I don't think they had pickup classes then. I think he got a record.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2009, 09:29:08 PM »
You could go with the coolest car/truck ever built
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2009, 12:45:46 AM »
Ya know, there're size differences in all the classes.  In the premiere classes, such as roadster, there's quite a size difference between a Bantam and a Cadillac.  Same for coupes.  Some race what they like, and some like what they race.

Stan

While differences do and always will exist, when these differences become such that someone has a significant advantage over someone else the rules get changed.  Case in point: the Classic category.  Obviously the roadster class has been driven mostly towards Ford roadsters so does this mean that before long the mid-mini class is only going to be VW pickups because that's the only thing that's competitive?  Maybe we can have a pretend truck class and a real truck class.   :-D    What do I care?  I drive a roadster and a lakester!
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

McRat

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2009, 09:58:45 AM »
Seems right now that the fastest pickup truck is the SRT-10 Ram 1500 of the Jesel Brothers.  So it gives hope to those with "bigger" trucks.  No, you couldn't haul a refrigerator in it (not sure many SRT-10's were ever used as pickups anyhow), but it certainly is a full sized truck.

As a long time fan of the original American mini-trucks (Ranchero's and Elky's) I'll always consider them light-duty pickups.

While before my time, here's what I've been told by those who were around in the 40's and 50's (feel free to correct me):

Typical American families didn't have three cars, or two, the number was most often one.  What you drove has always told something about who you are, and back then it was no different.  If the family car was a pickup, you were a farmer, a construction worker, or a mechanic.  Hence the great popularity of station wagons.  If you didn't want everyone to think you were a common laborer, you drove a station wagon, not a pickup.  Let's face it, if you showed up at your finacees(?) house to meet her parents, a station wagon means you are probably the boss of the construction site, not the apprentice.  Or showing up to bid a job, ditto.

Remember TV ads for that Milton Bradley game "Mystery Date"?  The "dud" card was flipped over and it was a good looking young man, BUT he wore overalls and had a shop rag and a wrench.  The "winner" card was some guy in a suit, IIRC.  Kind of a caste system where if you see grease or dirt you were a loser, and a pickup was a "dirty" automobile.

But there certainly was a need for a pickup that didn't scream "I'M A LOSER!!" to the world. Some of the smaller brands tried at first to just put a nicer cab on their pickup, and Chevy followed with the Cameo, but none were successful.  Ford was the first to figure it out correctly, and released the Ranchero.  Chevy saw the success, and followed with the El Camino.  Both Spanish names?  This was no accident, and no, they weren't trying to sell them to Mexicans.  It was supposed to give you the image of the rich Spanish ranch owners, who still must oversea his holdings on his silver-studded steed wearing his finest garb.  El Zorro crud. 

Eventually families would start having two cars, so the pickup could reside hidden in the carport, and slowly the stigma of being a pickup loser dissolved.  Both the Ranchero and Elky died from lack of sales, and that era is officially over.  It never disappeared completely, hence why many feel the need to dress up their pickups like a Rose Parade float.  :roll:

So to pretend an Elky or Ranchero is not a pickup denies us part of our American Automotive Heritage.  Be proud my pickup brethern.  We are the unwashed who have been redeemed! 
 :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 10:16:15 AM by McRat »

Salt Junkie

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2009, 11:32:19 PM »
Maybe we can have a pretend truck class and a real truck class.   :-D 

We already do, P/MP and DT respective. :-P

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2009, 01:02:09 AM »
here is Wayn Philips' Jeep pickup. It races in Mini-midi. It's pretty big compaired to the Chevy Luv that holds the record. So far I have not heard Wayn complain. He knew that when he got the truck. It is not a body on frame it is a US made unibody mid size truck. It is not a car/truck like a Ranchro or El Camino. So it races in a truck class. A Dodge Rampage or the VWs Rabbit type pickups have been allowed in Mini-Midi pickup. They are front wheel drive. I don't expect to see one with a SBC inot soon. If your building one I would suggest getting your acceptance early and in writing.

I saw this Jeep truck up close this weekend.  I don't really know what makes it "uni-body" but it has what looks like frame rails that run from under the cab to under the bed and the bed is separate from the cab sheet metal as well.  So, it fits what my suggested definition of a SCTA-legal for competition truck.

Also, IIRC, until just recently (maybe the past year) all the MK1 VW Rabbit hybrid car-trucks have been running in the Diesel Truck class, not the Mid-Mini Truck class which is obviously a gas class.  Different rules for different classes. 

Any more thought on this after our last dirty event of the year?  I believe the board meeting is next Friday, yes? 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

McRat

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2009, 07:55:21 AM »
That Jeep is a certainly a real pickup.  Zero doubt.

DT class is somewhat of a "free for all".  From tilt-body trucks running boat engines, to unibody mini's.  Most have been gasoline pickups that have been repowered as diesels, kind of an extension of the gas pickups; not really it's own class.  Instead of BMMP, they should be BDMMP (Blown Diesel Mid/Mini Pickup).

The problem lies in the first paragraph of DT, which states they are supposed to be diesel pickup bodies, which has been ignored quite a bit.  El Caminos (GMC Cabarellos) actually DID come with diesel engines (although it was a disgrace), yet are not diesel pickups.  Yet pretty much anything with a bed OTHER than an Elky is legal.  It's especially confusing since there is no aero advantage in an Elky over a gas minitruck, which are all legal in that class.

Sidebar, one pickup to watch is that Dakota Cummins UDT truck that was in lane 4.  That is potentially the new UDT class champ if they get it sorted. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:19:20 AM by McRat »