Author Topic: TRUCK OR COUPE?  (Read 22728 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: TRUCK OR COUPE?
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2009, 11:05:59 AM »
Sorry, I can't resist ...

I think that the truck category needs an additional rule. (This should also apply for the Craftsman Truck Series as well) Any vehicle participating in the truck category MUST carry one large househould appliance and two small househould items as cargo during the competition. Large appliance = Refreidgerator, deep-freeze or a washer/dryer. A chord of wood or full load of construction debris may be substituted for appliances... I mean come on, it is after all a truck right?    :-P

That would probably be an aero advantage over the open bed... I'm sure most of the truck racers would like to fill their bed.... added traction and aero  :-o  So which one of the truck guys is submitting that to the scta.....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2009, 11:07:08 AM »
You can run up to a C motor in a mid-mini plus you can run in the blown class.  Sounds potentially fast to me.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

McRat

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2009, 12:08:18 PM »
Typical Elky is a C, but IIRC, you could have a production unit with a B (396?) maybe even A (454?).

I'm certainly good with hauling heavy stuff, but a refrigerator is a bit girlie for my tastes.  Make it dressed out BBC or a 80gal 5hp compressor.

It's funny we actually tow a truck to the start line that has towed racecars many times before, and has pulled a 40,000lb trailer a few times.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 01:15:32 PM by McRat »

Offline RichFox

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2009, 12:49:50 PM »
Rancheros and El Caminos can run in the same class as Tourinos and Chevelles. No prob. They already have a very nice class to run in. This comes up every year or two. A pure case of not thinking things through IMHO

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2009, 02:17:54 PM »
Hmmm...I could stick a refrigerator IN the `Burb and not mess up it`s near perfect aero. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2009, 02:29:51 PM »
The real questions are: What will you be keeping in the fridge? Do you have room for a BBQ grill as well? What time is lunch seved in your pit?
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

McRat

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2009, 02:32:31 PM »
Rancheros and El Caminos can run in the same class as Tourinos and Chevelles. No prob. They already have a very nice class to run in. This comes up every year or two. A pure case of not thinking things through IMHO

I'm not good at reading between the lines, but I "think", the debate is about some kind of rule change coming up that would explicitly permit car-chassis pickups to run in mini-truck.  And the question seems to be that if a Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Volkswagen, EuroFord, Holden, cartruck is permitted to run in mini, why would only American cartrucks be excluded?  If a Subaru cartruck is a mini, it would seem that so is a '64 Ranchero (Falcon?), or a '64 El Camino (ChevyII?).  They would fit the description, and they are much larger than import cartrucks are.  Yes, the Elky's can run in coupe, but so can the imported cartrucks I suppose.  

I could be wildly wrong though, and I have no dog in the hunt.  xDT classes already permit minitrucks.

Offline jl222

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2009, 02:38:54 PM »
The real questions are: What will you be keeping in the fridge? Do you have room for a BBQ grill as well? What time is lunch seved in your pit?

One beer=one pork chop, or there's a pork chop in every beer :-D

JL222

McRat

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2009, 02:39:16 PM »

That will be the qualifier.  If Dan Warner can fetch a cold one out of the fridge in the bed of said truck when you enter impound, then it passes the "Truck Test".

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2009, 02:57:36 PM »

Holds one 12 ounce can.  Perfect for my little Honda truck.  $26.24  :mrgreen:

http://www.buy.com/prod/dream-cheeky-usb-mini-fridge/q/loc/101/207542892.html

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

longshots

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2009, 03:38:27 PM »
Using Dodge as an example, if a Ram is full-sized, and a Rampage is a mini, what is a Dakota?
I've been told by a knowlegeable person that it's considered a mid/mini.
Seems like a huge mis-match on many levels.
In overall size, weight and frontal area, it seems to be much more of a full-size than a mini, especially in the context of this discussion.
?

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2009, 03:42:01 PM »
Wow, we start talking about trucks and everyone's recessive red neck genes start coming out.   :-D
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2009, 03:54:33 PM »
There are more pick up's in Utah then cars, and fewer bars then any other state. Utah controls all booze thru there stores except beer. You cannot buy wine or hard booze in any store. Beer is available at all food stores. Doesn't make sense except the high tax's they get. Up until a few months ago all bars required a membership to drink.

Yeah, we have a lot of RED NECKS too :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline bbarn

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2009, 04:02:36 PM »
Wow, we start talking about trucks and everyone's recessive red neck genes start coming out.   :-D

I think I might have to take offense to the word "recessive"?
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

McRat

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
Using Dodge as an example, if a Ram is full-sized, and a Rampage is a mini, what is a Dakota?
I've been told by a knowlegeable person that it's considered a mid/mini.
Seems like a huge mis-match on many levels.
In overall size, weight and frontal area, it seems to be much more of a full-size than a mini, especially in the context of this discussion.
?

A Dakota is a mid-sized pickup.  It is bigger than mini, and smaller than a full-size:

A Colorado mini= 67" wide, 65" tall, 3400lb.  30sqft
A Dakota mid= 76" wide, 68" tall, 4200lb. 36sqft
A Dodge Ram 1500= 79" wide, 73" tall, 4600lb. 40sqft
GMC Sierra 2500 = 80" wide, 77" tall, 5800lb. 43sqft