Author Topic: TRUCK OR COUPE?  (Read 22732 times)

Offline MAZDA1807

TRUCK OR COUPE?
« on: October 31, 2009, 10:23:57 PM »
I WAS JUST GOING TO THROW THIS OUT THERE FOR EVERYONES OPINOIN.  AS MOST OF YOU KNOW, AN EL CAMINO OR RANCHERO MUST RUN COUPE/SEDAN CLASSES BECAUSE OF THE BASE VEHICLE THEY ARE MADE FROM.  WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK ABOUT SOME OF THE MID/MINI TRUCKS?  FOR EXAMPLE, THE DODGE RAMPAGE, VW RABBIT PICKUP, THE SUBARU BRAT AND THE SUBARU BAJA.  ALL BASED ON A PRODUCTION COUPE/SEDAN AS ARE THE EL CAMINO AND RANCHERO(WITCH IS WHY THEY MUST RUN COUPE/SEDAN). WHEN AND IF ONE OF THESE VEHICLES SHOW UP WHERE SHOULD IT GO: COUPE/SEDAN OR MID/MINI TRUCK.  FEEL FREE TO EXPLAIN YOUR OPINION
80ci,264.7 RWHP, 19.2sq.ft. of frontal area, 175.611, NOTBAD

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: TRUCK OR COUPE?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 10:30:54 PM »
They are still trying to figure out roadsters and you want to throw in trucks now. This should start a new war lol.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 10:53:43 PM »

FEEL FREE TO EXPLAIN YOUR OPINION

Release the CAP LOCK.

FREUD
Since '63

McRat

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 11:16:06 PM »
In real life you have to submit such a question to the SCTA on their website "clarification" form.

Now, in my opinion, all those you listed sure sound like mini-midi trucks.

As far as the El Camino's go, mine was huge, had the aerodynamics of a barn, and it had commercial plates on it (1968).  I put my motorcycle in it.  As soon as I see somebody stuff a 500 Yamaha inside a Civic, I'll start calling them coupes.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 11:34:06 PM »
good Dr.  ---  Maybe he thinks us old guys need larger print :evil:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 11:46:11 PM »
And to really complicate things, my Suburban`s title says it`s a station wagon. So is it a car or truck??? :?
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

McRat

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 11:48:41 PM »
Suburbans are Boats. 

You're welcome!   :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 11:52:33 PM »
good Dr.  ---  Maybe he thinks us old guys need larger print :evil:

Bill, ya don't need caps for that  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 01:40:40 AM »
In real life you have to submit such a question to the SCTA on their website "clarification" form.

As far as the El Camino's go, mine was huge, had the aerodynamics of a barn, and it had commercial plates on it (1968).  I put my motorcycle in it.  As soon as I see somebody stuff a 500 Yamaha inside a Civic, I'll start calling them coupes.

He's not asking the SCTA, he's asking us for our opinions and for those that do not know there has been a new rule initiated that would allow smaller car-based "trucks" like the ones he listed to run in the mid-mini truck class.  Well, IMO, this does not follow the precedence the SCTA has already established by not letting full sized car-based "trucks" (El Camino, Ranchero, etc.) run as trucks.  They have to run in the coupe/sedan classes and have had to for decades. 

The full sized car-based trucks are significantly smaller in profile than a full sized truck of the same circa and I can confidently say that the mid-mini sized car-based trucks are also significantly smaller than normal mid-mini trucks.  Does it make sense to anyone else that smaller mid/mini type car-based trucks be allowed to compete as trucks when full sized car-based trucks can't?     
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline RichFox

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 08:13:21 AM »
VW already run as Mini-trucks. They do not have the great advantage over other mini trucks that a '59 El Camino has over a '59 Chevy half ton. I believe the SCTA has done the right and logical thing which has been the standard for some years. There is no reason to question it now.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 09:54:20 AM »
Why not a new class? Mid/mini pickup, full-size pickup.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 09:56:58 AM »
What is wrong with the classes as they are now. Unless you have a Ranchero or El Camino and want a class all for you?

McRat

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 10:50:47 AM »

He's not asking the SCTA, he's asking us for our opinions and for those that do not know there has been a new rule initiated that would allow smaller car-based "trucks" like the ones he listed to run in the mid-mini truck class.  Well, IMO, this does not follow the precedence the SCTA has already established by not letting full sized car-based "trucks" (El Camino, Ranchero, etc.) run as trucks.  They have to run in the coupe/sedan classes and have had to for decades. 

The full sized car-based trucks are significantly smaller in profile than a full sized truck of the same circa and I can confidently say that the mid-mini sized car-based trucks are also significantly smaller than normal mid-mini trucks.  Does it make sense to anyone else that smaller mid/mini type car-based trucks be allowed to compete as trucks when full sized car-based trucks can't?     

I was thinking that there is no area on the entry form for opinions, but be that as it may:

Opinion:  From what I've seen in racing so far, a "truck" is whatever can get a timeslip in a truck class.  It has nothing to do with whether it's a truck or not.  A truck is something you use for work/pleasure to haul or tow things.  They often have commercial registration.  They have a tow hitch usually, and a bed that can carry at least 1000lb.  And a diesel truck is one that is sold with a diesel drivetrain. :wink:  

Currently in non-LSR diesel truck racing there is bit of debate about it.  A "Street Pickup Truck" can now have glass body parts, full drag suspension, Lenco (or other non-street) transmission, and no effective cooling system.   They aren't street legal, registered, or street driven.  In fact, many need to be towed up to the start line.  Putting a pickup body on a full race chassis is kinda like Pro Wrestling in my eyes.  Good for show, but not the real thing.    

But let's get real.  WHO THE HECK RACES THEIR TOW VEHICLE??!!  :-D

It's a sideshow put on by the lunatic fringe.  We are 1/2 racer, 1/2 hotrodder, and 1/2 daredevil, and 100% Redneck (hence the exemplary math skills).  

What is a truck, and what ain't a truck, is defined by the race organization you compete in.  The SCTA provided for truck classes, and for that I'm grateful.  I will admit that I am confused by some of the rules, but I do my best to insure I'm compliant.  And if I have questions, or if I desire a rule change, I use the proper channels to put forth a request.  

McRat

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 11:06:20 AM »
I think a very cool race truck would be a '59 Cadillac Coupe De Fleur.  These are huge Sedan De Villes with a pickup bed used by funeral homes.  Put 60's Flower Power decor on it.  Someday ...

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 11:35:56 AM »
And, of course, you can prove that 500 were produced?   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!