Author Topic: Is a fire wall(s) needed for my application? Pictures inside  (Read 9785 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Is a fire wall(s) needed for my application? Pictures inside
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 10:20:09 PM »
IB, good advice. Well put, those of us that have been in this sport  a long time know why every rule was written. When I started there were only a couple of rules. I look at the pictures of my old cars and really wonder why I drove them. Young and fearless back then.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline GH

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 09:12:08 AM »
Bigdaddy112, keep the passenger seat. I have one in my car, it's fun to take a buddy for a ride.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 12:26:12 PM »
I am not suggesting you not have a second seat...only that the seat in the pic is full of vulcanized foam rubber, will catch on fire easily, producing toxic black smoke, unreal amounts of heat and is difficult to put out.

The same reason padded seats are not allowed for drivers is also applicable to passenger seats.

I say loose it.

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline biglady112

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 06:13:38 PM »
Oh yea, that is a given. I won't be buying the seat or making one until I am to that point with the told cage. There is going to be a frame built into the roll cage for what ever seat I end up with. A fixed seat situation. Gonna make all my tall friends mad.

Still on the fence about the passenger seat. I always believed in taking it out so that no one else would be in harms way. I am much more for getting rid of it at this point.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 06:34:13 PM »
biglady112
You made a remark earlier about eyes on 200 mph. That requires a full race car complience to the rules in all areas. There wont be room for a 2nd seat as this area will have fire systems and other components that would be a real pain to remove for a friend to take a thrill ride some where on the streets. You really need a current rule book as things change every year. The 2010 rules are being worked on now and will be posted in draft form when ready. The committee works very hard each year to get this done. As the due date for changes has closed for this year I doubt if any additional requests will be accepted.

Give a lot of serious attention as what you want as the end result on your build and where you plan to race it.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline biglady112

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 07:20:04 PM »
Again, the seat is not important. And will most likely come out for weight and ease of cage design. Not to mention one less thing to work around. But yes, the goal is 200mph. And at this point seems awefully realistic. At least I hope so.

In regards to the ECTA, given the initial intention of this thread, does anyone know how they feel about my issue/question? Anyone in here race out there? I understand there is a sub-forum for that, but thought I would try here first.

As it stands, it is looking more and more like I may be shooting for Texas and Maxton. Those are a bit more up my alley anyway. 200 in one mile just mean a little more to me at this point. And in regards to Texas, they wouldn't know their head from a hole in the wall, so I could get away with murder down there, but I am trying to do this the right way. And be able to race where I would like if I decide to.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 09:52:21 PM »
     FWIW, I attended Speedweek '08 and followed the inspection of a rear engine modified roadster as a crew member.  Only equipment forward of the driver was lead acid battery and fire bottles.  Inspector wanted some small gaps in forward "firewall" plugged to prevent acid from reaching the driver through them should the battery case crack for whatever reason.  Repairs were made, good point taken and remembered for future project design and fabrication.

From my observation there are some differences between ECTA and SCTA requirements but ECTA is trying to stay as close as possible to SCTA so entrants won't have issues when they run SCTA.  Loring is currently following ECTA requirements.  No experience at Texas so can't comment on that venue.

In my opinion it would be best to build with both CURRENT books in hand to meet ALL requirements while keeping in mind these are MINIMUM requirements.  Not a good time to think about upgrading partners if a big dance suddenly starts.........

Offline biglady112

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 11:53:30 PM »
Been to Texas twice now. Tech inspection and rules are a joke. Plenty of cars running way to fast down there with literally nothing more than a helmet.

I have been to two WoS events at the salt. Both times with slower cars. 150 club actually. And I know it is not the same, but I am trying to get MY car ready now and just need to make sure. I am going to make a wall and bolt it to the floor around the cell. I would hope that is good enough. I have one of the young Sutton's to help me out. And if need be, his dad and his friends can help with anything I may need guidance on. Or at least I hope so. The MSA group has been doing this a while and the younger son is telling me I should. We may have come up with something to keep it a feasible project.

First things first, get the cage and parachute on. Then small details from there.
1947 Dodge Pickup

LittleLiner

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 01:37:09 PM »
Been to Texas twice now. Tech inspection and rules are a joke. Plenty of cars running way to fast down there with literally nothing more than a helmet.

I don't mean to be critical here.  And I have never been to an event at the Texas mile so I have no grounds to refute what you said about how those events are run.  But . . . .

If I were to go there I would feel compelled to have my car prepared and up to the safety standards (like ECTA or SCTA) as best I could even if I knew it might not be checked.  I am sure if you go there you will do the same.  I am not trying to imply I think you would do anything to risk your safety or anything of that sort.  But someone reading your comments about the Texas events could lead them to assume that you might . . .

Safety and safety inspections are a key part of this sport.  There is no excuse for racers intentionally cutting corners just because we think we won't be caught by the event officials.

OK now I'll put this soapbox back where I found it . . before someone asks me to stick it somewhere else.

Best of luck with your racing efforts.   I am sure you intend to make it as safe as absolutely possible.

Offline krusty

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 05:44:52 PM »
I can assure you that Joe Timney of the ECTA will "ask" you to put in a firewall of some sort to keep the hot liquid from the driver.    vic

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 02:03:55 AM »
FWIW there isn't a rule that specifically states that you must keep your coolant tank separated from the driver's compartment.  I think some people are making a way bigger deal out of this than there really needs to be.  It's just hot water.  If the guy's going 200 mph he's going to be in a -20 fire suit anyways.  I'd sure like to think that a fire suit would protect against boiling water.  I'd be more worried about something that actually burns like oil or fuel, not water. 

FWIW#2 our roadster, which has been around for a very long time, has a 8 gallon water tank immediately behind the driver.  No explosions, no burns, no fires, no nothing. 

Fuel tanks, on the other hand, must be isolated from the driver's compartment.  No two ways around that one.  If you're working with Nick or Travis they'll get you squared away. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline biglady112

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 02:42:39 AM »
I am thinking at this point that a small shell around it will suffice. At this point I don't have plans to seal it however. Where the tank is located is going to make this difficult, especially where the cage is going to end up. No doubt the fuel tank will be protected.

I am working with Nick.
1947 Dodge Pickup