Author Topic: Tires  (Read 37396 times)

McRat

Re: Tires
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2009, 09:48:16 PM »
Gosh, I should have asked before I bought the M/T drag radials...

My 33 Vicky with me in it and ready to race weighs 2925 lbs with 52% on the back tires. 

I ran them at Maxton and my only full pass was 151 MPH... Ran the mile and then coasted through long shutdown , I was never hard on the brakes.  Track was cold.. no noticable wear.. but only made 2 runs,, the one I just mentioned and an aborted pedal fest slip sliding thru the mile.

So 1 mile is to much for these ?   I do not drive this car on the street any more,

If I should only use these tires for Drag Racing,, what should I use for LSR ?

I was going to put them on the Stude,, but it will weigh 4000 lbs race ready and about same 52% rear weight ??

Charles

Running 1.5 miles probably isn't a risk.  The first sign is going to be a bulge in the tire.  I do know that in 1/4mi racing I go about 2-3 mph faster on steel radials.  Soft DR's are excellent for good 60' times and low ET's, but if it's a well prepped track (Vegas) I'll run stiffer tires.  In a mile, sixty foot times aren't significant.  Heck, if you cut a 2.5 sixty, your trap speeds in the quarter will be virtually identical to when you cut 1.6's.  A violent launch really doesn't change MPH.

Toyo Proxies are a good daily driver drag tires with good trap speeds, and they are much cheaper than soft DR's.  We've cut 1.6x sixty-foot times with them.  We also ran them at Bonneville to 175.  They are even good for sled-pulling on hard tracks. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 09:53:09 PM by McRat »

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2009, 10:13:25 PM »
McRat,  thanks for the info. I will look into other tires for LSR

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2009, 11:18:10 AM »
My Pontiac weighs 3985 and we been running 325/50 - 15 MT Drag radials with no problems. 49.7% rear weight.
They are a great tire but I wish they would last a little longer street driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3IuTIDnaV0
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2009, 03:13:03 PM »
  Cajun,   I think your 4,000 lb weight is a good starting point, but make sure you have a plan for a place to put another 1,000 to 1,500 lbs more if needed.   Keep in mind you wan't it between the front and rear axles, as low as possible.  Do not put weight in the trunk behind the rear axle unless you like spinning on the salt.  I ran my Stude at 4300# with 650+ h.p., and now with about 850 to 900, I have about 5200 in it.  I run about 48% on the front and it still wants to spin the tires after the first mile.
  Also, in looking at your interior tin work, make sure that the drive shaft tunnel is removable for inspection if you are running a step pan.  Keep up the good work...........Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2009, 06:13:12 PM »
Bob,

No step pan, and yes the tunnel is removable, but will not be that easy once Fire system and such is in,

Is it required to be removed,, both drive shaft loops can be seen from under  the car and no step pan. ??

I plan on a starting weight of 4000 to 4200 lbs total weight and 52% rear ?   Bob what is best weight distribution?

Is 52/48 about right to start.

Using  E motor...  max hp 550 to rear wheels

Charles
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
  Charles,  all sounds good for starters.  The only time you will need to show the hoops would be going thru tech the first time at Bonneville.  Thats when you recieve your chassis tag and log book.  The tech guys may not be to hot to crawl under the car.  Pictures would probably suffice, and a photo album could save a lot of hassles when teching the car.
  The 48/52 front/rear bias is a pretty good spot to start with on the 53 Stude.
  As far as the horsepower, build the car to run a blown hemi............. you won't be sorry.  You never know when someone may give you one.  Seriously, I like to plan ahead.  If you need a SFI 15 suit, why not spend a little more and buy the 20?  Remember all the rules are MINIMUMS.  Why not run twice as much fire protection as required?  The last thing you need in the event of fire is to have "allmost" enough extinguishant.
  The same goes for chutes.  Your class record may not mandate dual chutes, but the second one might save your bacon.
  The last thing in todays sermon, don't show up with one set of wheels and tires.  When you run over the chunk of pushrod from the guy in front of you, where the hell are you going to find a spare?  OH, yeah, allways carry at least TWO spares for the trailer...................  ( I know)  Bob

Bob Drury

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2009, 06:39:21 PM »
Bob what kind of rear suspension do you run?

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2009, 07:51:32 PM »
Bob,  thanks for the pearls of wisdom and experience.

I have twin 6.5 lb firefox systems.   The Chassis will handle all the HP I can beg borrow or steal.  I am starting with my E motor. I have a C motor and will build a high winding 18 degree or SBII "D"  motor late next year... So I will have a C, D and E motors.

Chutes ?  never thought of two chutes for the speeds this car needs to run (and who knows if it ever will?) But I will look into provisions for two.

I will get a new suit ( I am on a mission to drop 35 lbs by March 1st. then size and order a new suit).

Thanks again...

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2009, 11:55:50 PM »
  Charles, that isn't much for fire duty.  For minimal dollars you can run a 10# co2 to the engine, and use both the others inside.  I run that plus a 10# cold fire to the engine, and 3 5 lb. halons in the car.  I also installed a exhaust fan in the car to pull smoke and salt out of the drivers area just in case.
  Bviller, pretty much the same as yours, I bought lighter springs and havn't installed them nor changed my four link like you have yours, but I am going to this winter.  ( thought I don't pay attention to your posts.......... ha!)
  I also want to congradulate myself on making it to the eve of my 63rd birthday................  Sober...............tommorrow is All Saints Day which is why they call me Saint One Run............
  I think I need a drink.

Bob Drury

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Happy Birthday Bob
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2009, 12:13:38 AM »
  ......tommorrow is All Saints Day which is why they call me Saint One Run............

SOR... you forgot most of us close the bottom of the last letter and just call you SOB.... (not Saint One Bob..  :roll: )
By the way.... Happy Birthday.... yea hijacking another one
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2009, 01:01:04 AM »
He, he, Bob I was just wondering why you were still breaking loose at the mile?  Great to hear you have suspension and we have quite a bit of weight on the rear axle or behind it without having any problems with it wanting to spin.  Good luck going fast.  :-D

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2009, 11:57:24 AM »
Are you guys saying that a 4 link rear is not a good idea ?

For the longer course and response time, I agree.. I will use the two 6.5 lb FireFox systems for driver protection and get a larger system ( 10 lb) for the engine bay.  What is the best for engine bay coverage ?

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2009, 12:02:29 PM »
Charles, our four link works great!  We may do some minor adjustment to it this year, we do run a soft set up. :-D

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2009, 03:11:43 PM »
  Chaz,
  Nope,  I run and recomend a adjustable 4-link, coilovers, and (panhard bar or watts linkage, but NEVER a diagonal link).  What BVLR and I are refering to is the instant center setting of the four bar.
  I have always run mine in a neutral position with 400# coils, and he runs his for a much softer hit with "sissy" springs.
  So now I Am going to try it his way, so if you see me bouncing like a buckboard down the salt, blame him..............................  (p.s.)  I hope it works!!!
  On the weight deal, weight behind the axle is fine as long as the nose of the car is going straight forward, but if you get it sideways the weight becomes a pendulum and it wants to keep going.......... not so bad with a tru-trac or posi, but nasty if you run a locked rear end.  I can describe from experience what the panoramic view of the flats is.  You can tell how many times you have spun by remembering how many times Floating Mountain goes bye..................................
Bob Drury

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2009, 03:35:10 PM »
Bob,  I too have a very adjustable 4 link and will be using a long panhard bar (to start).  I have elected to start with 300# springs but will have 350# if need stiffer..

As to weight, I do plan on a 52% rear, 48% front and will have 4 provisions for adding weight low on the chassis.

If the pic comes out... at the purple arrows is where I can add weight.

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT