Author Topic: Tires  (Read 37511 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Tires
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 12:41:02 PM »
What 600 mph tires,are they available,how much???

Rob, unfortunatly, the M/T tires have very little rubber on them even when new. Keep in mind they are designed to go 600 mph so the tire mass has to be kept to a minimum.  Also keep it in mind that what kills tires is spinning them.  With that in mind, you need to find that delicate spot where that is held to a minimum (ala traction control).
  The time proven method is to either add weight or downforce, or lift on the throttle when the tach speeds up (a tough thing to judge).
  As Sparky mentioned, aero plays a large part, especially in your type of vehicle.
  If it was my car, I would watch for signs of tire spin, which would probably show up as a very rough surface, and then try out adding more weight, although a external wing would be better.
  I would also try to determine which end of the cord is lifting and mount the tires to reverse this if neccessary.  M/T tires are not directional, however the Goodyear LSR Tires are.
  If at all possible don't trailer the car on the race tires.
  When you get home, drop the pressure to about thirty psi, clean them off and use a UV protectant spray like 303 aeromotive protectant (available at most parts stores near the tire cleaners).  Put the tires in a cool dark spot and cover them up.  They DO NOT like light, including flourescent lights.
  Do not leave them ON THE CAR......... nothing good will happen. 
  Another option would be to run the 28 inch Mickeys, which are a lot cheaper, and are rated at 300.  Seth Hammond and many others have gone over 300 using them.            Bob

Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 01:26:01 PM »
  Glen, in my hands is a copy of the flier from M/T tires that was sent to Landracing.com and posted by Jon Amo on Thursday, 29 March, 2007, advertizing the M/T 30" tire with a estimated speed rating of 590+.
  Sorry if I cheated you out of ten miles an hour....................... Bob :-D
  P.S.  $760 per tire plus shipping........... seems like with shipping around sixteen hundred.........  next?
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 01:43:46 PM »
  One more interesting thing, the flier says the tires are for sale yet the disclaimer/release you sign says basicly that you don't own squat, you are only leasing them and must return them on demand at any time to M/T.
  I would bet the lawyers on both sides of the fence could make a ton of money on that deal...........
Bob Drury

RogerL

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 02:34:05 PM »
If the cord showing is at the splice joint, probably nothing to worry about. Take a look at the attached flyer from MT. I have been running MT tires for years with no problems.

Roger L

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 12:35:32 AM »
Roger---thanks for the refresher!!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline bbarn

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 11:50:09 AM »
If the cord showing is at the splice joint, probably nothing to worry about. Take a look at the attached flyer from MT. I have been running MT tires for years with no problems.

Roger L

Thanks for the MT bullitin, that answers the question precisely.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 11:52:32 AM by bbarn »
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 09:48:08 PM »
It appears we have a short supply of tires, and an oversupply of Lawyers. Tort reform will never happen as long as we keep supplying Congress with that excess. :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 12:29:11 PM »
Yesterday I call Mickey Thompson's  tech line.

I and several others are running  M/T  ET Drag Radials,,, those tires are mention ( I believe) in SCTA and ECTA rule books and are tech'd to 200 or 225 MPH.

I asked the tech line at M/T  about recommended tire pressures for paved/concrete for both the Mile and the 1.5 Mile tracks (Maxton and Loring) as well as the Salt Flats.. the Tech guy refused to give me any tire pressures and said the tires where not intended for long distance use, just short bursts of high speed DRAG RACING

Can anyone shed any light on this ? I just bought them and made 2 runs Sunday at Maxton. my plan is to use them on the Stude next year for Maxton and Loring and if OK even Bonneville ???

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 12:47:22 PM »
  Charles, the problem is with the construction on both the M/T drag tire and the Goodyear drag tire (which is identical to the LSR tire except for code #). 
Neither tire has enough sidewall cords to handle the side stress of a spin, especially if the car is heavy.
  Lots of people have made many runs on these or similar tires, but why run cheap tires on a expensive car?  What's your tush worth?.....................Bob
Bob Drury

McRat

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 02:08:37 PM »
Here's what I can tell you about soft DOT Drag Radials (highway rated).  In this case it was M&H.

I've run these for years at the drag strip with no problems on a heavy truck (up to 7000+ lb) and up to 130mph so far.

But, coming back from Colorado after a race, we had a blowout on our tow vehicle.  As luck would have it, I forgot the spare.  I took one of the M&H DR's and put it on the tow vehicle to get to the next town at 45mph.  I did not make it 10 miles before it failed.  Even though it was raining, the tire overheated and separated the tread from the belts, and blew.  The tire was at over 40psi (recommended max).

With a light vehicle or short distances, it is probably not an issue.  But I'd be scared to run heavy for sustained speeds.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 04:03:04 PM by McRat »

Offline jl222

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2009, 02:44:48 PM »
Here's what I can tell you about DOT Drag Radials (highway rated).  In this case it was M&H.

I've run these for years at the drag strip with no problems on a heavy truck (up to 7000+ lb) and up to 130mph so far.

But, coming back from Colorado after a race, we had a blowout on our tow vehicle.  As luck would have it, I forgot the spare.  I took one of the M/T DR's and put it on the tow vehicle to get to the next town at 45mph.  I did not make it 10 miles before it failed.  Even though it was raining, the tire overheated and separated the tread from the belts, and blew.  The tire was at over 40psi (recommended max).

With a light vehicle or short distances, it is probably not an issue.  But I'd be scared to run heavy for sustained speeds.

What is the weight rating on those drag radials and how much weight with truck and trailer?

McRat

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2009, 04:02:07 PM »
IIRC, they are rated at about 2000lb.  This is approx what the per wheel loading was on the tow truck at failure.  This is not significantly different load than when we dragrace with them on the trucks.  Front tires see about 1900lb, rears about 1500lb.

The following is dragrace/AutoX experience, not LSR (yes, certain DR's are excellent AutoX tires):

I've run several different brands of DR's or DOT bias-ply slicks on the street and track on about a dozen late-model vehicles.

Stories about quick failures are not unique, and even happens in lightweight cars like Corvettes.  Some have reported failures during long-range sustained freeway driving or greatly accelerated wear (cord them in 100mi).  Nitto DR's or BFG's are fine.  But the really soft DR tires like M/T, Hoosier, or M&H don't seem to like long range.

I suggest if you dragrace with these kinds of tires, limit yourself to 20 miles drives to the track or change them at the track.  Regardless of the DOT rating, they really aren't street tires.  They are drag slicks with rain grooves (oh, they seriously suck in the rain even when new).

As far as LSR goes, I personally wouldn't run them on a long course especially with a lot of ballast, but that's just my personal opinion.  Nitto's AOK since they are a much stiffer tires.  BFG's are AOK as well.

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 09:08:27 PM »
Gosh, I should have asked before I bought the M/T drag radials...

My 33 Vicky with me in it and ready to race weighs 2925 lbs with 52% on the back tires. 

I ran them at Maxton and my only full pass was 151 MPH... Ran the mile and then coasted through long shutdown , I was never hard on the brakes.  Track was cold.. no noticable wear.. but only made 2 runs,, the one I just mentioned and an aborted pedal fest slip sliding thru the mile.

So 1 mile is to much for these ?   I do not drive this car on the street any more,

If I should only use these tires for Drag Racing,, what should I use for LSR ?

I was going to put them on the Stude,, but it will weigh 4000 lbs race ready and about same 52% rear weight ??

Charles
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Geo

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 09:34:08 PM »
Charles,

Glad you are asking this question.  I have not bought tires yet and need to know about the choices too!

Geo

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 09:43:05 PM »
GEO,  I am drag racing this Friday night at Zmax dragway Charlotte, NC... So the purchase of the M/T's is not a total loss.

Guess I will need to re-think what tires for the Stude.

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT