Author Topic: Hot Rod push vehicle  (Read 5567 times)

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Hot Rod push vehicle
« on: October 22, 2009, 01:16:13 PM »
I'm thinking about putting a pushbar on my twin turboed LeMans for next year's Speedweek.
We were only able to get our Lakester up to 60mph before the first set of cones with my wife's Denali which by the way, I'm still cleaning. LOL
If I could give him a 120mph push, I'm sure we could put 40 or 50 mph on our 2-1/4 speed. It was only 247.
I would probably have to add some ballast to the rear to get the traction but everything else should be stout enough to do the job

496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Re: Hot Rod push vehicle
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 01:59:06 PM »
Is there any legal limit on how fast we can push?
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 02:18:36 PM »
nope.... they don't like you to push more than a mile though
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 02:40:02 PM »
That lakester should be able to get up to speed faster by itself, what is your low FDR?  we run a PG with a 2.14 gear set and have run 269 1/4 speeds and we are of the truck in 4-5 seconds -- we put it in low range 4x4 and are off the truck at about 30 mph
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 06:20:35 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 03:16:43 PM »
Most of the drivers I know can't wait to get away from the stinkin push truck - You really want to have someone pushing you 120 MPH??? We gave up on high gear only decades ago. If you are not running good enough to get away from the truck way before the first cone something in your setup needs changing - either the engine tune up or drive train combination - Pat :-D

Offline Freud

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 08:05:20 PM »
RIGHT ON..........Pat.

If the car isn't faster than the push truck, somethings way wrong.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 09:00:54 PM »
Ask Lee Kennedy why the push truck was waiting for him at the far end. Lee= Putt-Putt. It's a long stroy folks lol
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 09:04:41 PM »
Aw come on Glen, share the story!   :-)

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 09:17:07 PM »
We have a much slower vehicle, but I was always criticized for pulling away after about 15 feet.  I figured I could accelerate faster than my 3/4-ton pickup in 2nd gear.  We compromised in a 1-2-3 count and hit the brakes, and it's worked for us.  I don't have to worry about being run over.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 11:32:22 PM »
Well, we have a certain amount of ice water on board for cooling and intercooling. I was just figuring that any accelerating that we didn't have to do would leave more ice for top end (when we need it most) but this is why I ask you guys as I am very green to this.

We have a 2.48 : 1 first gear. I like to be going at least 60 and that's about 3000rpm with the 1.84 rear gears and 28.4 dia. tires. i know they say 30 tall but that not what they measure. Especially at that speed.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 12:17:36 AM »
We weight about 1M# less than you :

but if you had a very weak  spring in you bypass or blow off you should be able to acclerate from 1000 to 1200 with a turbo cam pretty good then when you shift you should be able to start "dialing up your boost---I plan to try to increase my boost torque so that my TE is the same as my lowest gear TE was that I could hook up---as your mechanical mulitiplier decrease whith each gear shift one should try to increase the eng torque to off set---One should strive to KEEP the TE the same!!!!!!!--after each gear change!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 12:50:22 AM »
OK Sparky, I'll bite what is TE??
Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 01:05:01 AM »
    I'm probable a car that benefits from a fast push off as I have a 2 speed and a 1.76 low.  When I asked Lee Kennedy about a supercharged (PSI) push truck  :wink:He stated that his rule of thumb is the push truck shouldn't be faster then the car It's pushing! LOL

Offline jl222

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 01:13:42 AM »
  Rob... everybodys forgeting about Carl Heap and the Phoenix ''unlimited diesel truck'' 285mph. weighed about 14,000 lbs got pushed by a diesel tractor that would go 118mph at the drags [what a sight that was] and Rick Vesco has a fast jeep thats pushed a fast streamliner.Don Vesco 475mph I believe.

JL222

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 01:27:45 AM »
Rex 

TE =Eng TQ X TR X RA
TQ= eng tourque
TR  = trans ratio
RA = Rear axel ratio

another way of stating it is        FDR X TQ= TE

FDR = Tr X Ra

every  trans gear has a FDR
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 05:43:49 PM by SPARKY »