Author Topic: Second of Many simple questions  (Read 7740 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: Second of Many simple questions
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 10:43:13 PM »
If you look at V4 and V4F Ford, Chevy, Plymouth, and Dodge have already been done. Step up with something we haven't seen before. Stun the troops.

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 12:31:07 AM »
Genuine GM,

I love your little:

............................___
................._______|___\____
..;.;;.;;;;...|__(O)__|____/(O)|

If your Roadster is done as well, you'll have done GOOD.

Tom

Offline Genuine GM

• Ignorance is NOT bliss.
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 08:28:40 AM »
Got to be honest.  I stole the little truck thing from someone I know.  I am not that computer savvy.  Feel free to take and modify. 

I am sticking with the V4F, don't know what brand though.  I have some older contacts with "junk" as my wife says.  I am sure I can find something oddball. 

My mind is going like crazy.  I have several ideas that I will need clarification on so I will try to post them soon. 

At the risk of hijacking my own thread; I do different.  I used to drive a '78 C-10 long bed that would run consistent LOW 13's and the occasional high 12's.  I could have gone faster with a lighter car, but it was fun to jump on a Mustang or Camaro and surprise them.  Looked like heck as well.  I still have the truck, but the engine and tranny are going in my dad's '37 Chevy and the cab is a total rust bucket.  Scored a CLEAN cab for free.  I am keeping it all and gathering parts so my son and I can build it in 10-12 years (he's only 3 now) for a first vehicle.  He'll be safe in that tank.

It is a shame we can't build them as fast as we can think of them.
Don’t let the troubles in your head, steal too much time, you’ll soon be dead - so play. You Never Know – DMB

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 09:57:29 AM »
How about a Stutz? :evil:
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 10:05:12 AM »
Stutz never made a flat head engine that I know of.  I thought all the early engines for Stutz were made by Wisconsin and had “T” heads.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Genuine GM

• Ignorance is NOT bliss.
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 10:14:10 AM »
How about the Willys-Overland 4 cylinder out of a Henry J?

I have a buddy that got a Sear Allstate (Henry J) for free and is going to make a straight axle gasser with a 429.  I can get the 4 cylinder for next to nothing.

EDIT---  Actually, I need to check the dates. 

If the engine TYPE/SERIES was designed before 1935, BUT the block was cast in the 50's can I use it?  Original design, later casting.

Honestly, I need to see when the original block was designed and cast.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 10:24:07 AM by Genuine GM »
Don’t let the troubles in your head, steal too much time, you’ll soon be dead - so play. You Never Know – DMB

Offline maguromic

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 10:24:29 AM »
Or you could make a head like this one.  I took this picture in impound at Speed week.  Tony

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 10:39:11 AM »
Is that an optical delusion, or does that FMR have the engine angled to the passenger side  :?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline maguromic

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 11:27:05 AM »
No it’s not an optical allusion, the engine is angled to the side.  It was done most likely because the same car had an IRL V8 engine in it a few years ago and the angle was there probably for the drive shaft to clear the driver, and they left the rear end alone when the V4F went in it.  Tony

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 12:35:14 PM »
Isn't a T-Head a Flathead?

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 12:37:08 PM »
Now that's a very interesting set-up!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 01:07:37 PM »
I will try this for the last time if it dosn't take. Speaking of heads here I need to drag out the old Plymouth pictures. I made my head the proper way. With fins. Everybody knows that aluminum parts on race motors need fins. Hard to make compression with a Stutz. On the Willys, the short answer I got from Roy was "No." One head bolt was moved when military production started and the rule is pre 1935. That and it's a 134 cid engine in a 220 cid class. What about a Star. I have heard old guys say they were fast.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 01:46:39 PM »
If you look at V4 and V4F Ford, Chevy, Plymouth, and Dodge have already been done. Step up with something we haven't seen before. Stun the troops.

How about a Studebaker Light 4? :roll:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: