Author Topic: Newbie Question?  (Read 4845 times)

Offline Hit or Miss

• New folks
Newbie Question?
« on: October 20, 2009, 07:30:54 AM »
Okay, here's a newbie type question, so feel free to give me smart a$$ answers if need be.  If you (and presumably your car with you) leave the track after you've been through tech, do you have to get re-inspected when you come back.  Or are you good for the weekend once you pass tech once?

Just had another quick question too.  How does the gas situation work out for street cars since it'll be a bit tough to get to the track with an empty tank?  Right now I'm planning on just running T/O so I know there is no issue there with outside fuel, but if I decided to jump into C/CPRO how would that work?  Anybody had any experience with that?  Have to drain the tank and then fill up with the on site fuel?

Thanks,
Rick

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
Re: Newbie Question?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:48:58 AM »
Once you pass tech and register, you receive a windshield sticker. That will allow you to run all weekend. You need to get event gas and the gas man will seal your tank. If more fuel is required, he will remove the seal and reseal after refueling.

Check out page 107 in the rule book.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Hit or Miss

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 08:17:47 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply Joe.  See you on Saturday!

LittleLiner

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 09:32:52 AM »
Suggestion

It's been a year since I was at an event so this might be different now.  That said . . .

If you haven't been through rookie orientation before you might want to be there Friday.  In the past - to get the rookie orientation on Saturday you have to wait until there is a break in the action and the the right people are available to run you throught the orientation (usually Keith Turk).  So you will have wait to run for a while. 

By arriving on Friday you can also get the car registered and teched.  With all that done on Friday you are good to go all day Saturday without any delays except ofcourse for the other racers in line ahead of you. . . .

Art

Offline Hit or Miss

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 10:26:05 AM »
Art, thanks for the tip.  That was my original plan, to get there early on Friday, but unfortunately that's not going to work out.  So hopefully I can get a run or two in on Saturday. 

Main just want to get down to Maxton to see what it's all about for the first time.  Seems like such a great bunch of gear heads getting together it has to be a blast.

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 10:24:35 PM »
Welcome to ECTA.  Just want to be sure you understand that you won't need to buy the event gas unless you decide to run a production or gas class.  If you think you may be competitive in those classes then I would suggest 'timing' your refueling stop on the way down so that you only have a few gallons at most left in the tank.  Make a few runs in T/O and if you are close to a gas record then purchase a few gallons and they will place a seal on the tank on that point.  You will not have to retech unless there are additional safety requirements for the class you move to.  A stock closed roof vehicle in proper condition will get teched to 130 mph for T/O.  A convertible must have a 4 point roll bar to run 130.

Offline greenjunk

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 09:30:22 PM »
I loved your car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1. That said you can go 10mph faster if you either unbolt the rearspoiler, or put a sway bar, a chin spoiler, and some new front shocks.  It came through the lights looking like it was ready for take off!!!111
David
213mph Time Bomb Camaro

Offline t russell

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 04:32:18 PM »
That is a sweet looking car.
terry

Offline Hit or Miss

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 08:03:15 AM »
Thanks, glad you guys enjoyed the car.  I figure 109 wasn't so bad for a factory stock, 2 barrel engine.  This was our first trip to Maxton, and it was amazing to see how everything comes together.  We'll be back next year to try to tack on that extra 10 mph! 

Offline greenjunk

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 11:04:33 AM »
Think airdam on the front and remove your rear spoiler.  It just unbolts.  Or just unbolt the rear spoiler.  Its worth ALOT!!!!
David
213mph Time Bomb Camaro

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 07:13:14 PM »
Hit or Miss,

Look under the post afew October pics..

You can see a great pic of your car..  from that view you can see what everyone is talking about,,, major front end lift/rear squat.

See you in April.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Hit or Miss

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 08:58:42 AM »
Oh you could feel the attitude of the car while driving, but DW's picture really shows it off.  I'll definitely do some work over the winter to get the nose down.  Chin spoiler for sure, new shocks, tighten down the sway bar, maybe some front end ballast too!

You'd thought that boat anchor of a Pontiac block would have been enough to keep the front end down!  LOL!

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 12:21:35 AM »
Get 90/10 drag shocks for the front.  Install them upside down - that ought to do it.

But seriously - watch air dams, etc.  It will likely change your class (unless they were available from GM when the car was new) and it may make you less competitive if the new class has a higher record.  You can, however, lower the car front, rear, or all around (I used a cut off wheel).

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer