Author Topic: Norwegian bellytank projekt.  (Read 29190 times)

Offline jk hotrods

• New folks
Norwegian bellytank projekt.
« on: October 19, 2009, 02:25:51 PM »
Hallo my name is Jan kåre and this is my project :roll:
This is a tank i found on a farm in Norway They used it as a water tank :-o
On the side of the tank it stands Fletcher aviation corp. Pasadina California. MFRF serial no 7632.It is 200 us gal.
Anyone knows what air plane this com from???? 

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Norwegian bellytank projekt.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 02:59:21 PM »
Google Fletcher Aviation co.
There is a lot of information and should be able to help you in the search. Looks like a nice build, keep us updated.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 11:11:31 PM »
Nice style, what kind of power plant will you use?
Regards,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 11:29:33 PM »
Seems like there's a lot of interest outside the USA in bellytanks.  Will you be bringing it over to compete?  Good luck on the build. :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jk hotrods

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 03:09:23 PM »
This is the parts I have: I got a new Winters champion Quik change axel, Finned buick brake drums, mas strait tube axel  a new unisteer steering rack from pete and jakes.
I also got a 1967 pontiac ohc-6 engine, but this is open for discussion :wink:  Or maybe an early hemi.
My plan and dream is to take it to Bonneville :roll: I dont have to break any records, i will be happy only to get to bonneville :-
Particularly since I newer even been in the USA. :-o

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 01:00:25 AM »
 Hey Jan,
 Go with the Pontiac cammer & hang a hair dryer on it. Hemi's are like but holes, seems like everybody has one now. It's hard to be different, the cammer will do it. I dont recall seeing one of those in anything, including an original Pontiac.
 I have a 2 seat street legal tank here in the states with a turbo'd 401 AMC in the back, it's hard to be different.
 Look at lots of pictures before you place the front & rear axles, It can make or break the look of the  car.
      Sid.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 01:57:32 PM »
JK,
I agree with Sid, go with the Pontiac cammer, I haven't seen one of those in years! Also, as Sid said, watch the wheel placement you  are going to find that space is going to be really hard to find, especially if you go to the long six cylinder. I would avoid adding length to the tank as it screws up the aero. One thought is to mount the front axle ahead of the tank, which gives you lots of room for your feet and lets you get the driver forward. Look at the BMR roadster, that's how their axle is mounted also this doesn't screw up the aero as much with lots of holes in the tank for the axle and suspension to go thru.

Love the shape of your tank, what is its max diameter? length?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 12:45:55 PM »
 I'm a bit of a bellytank conesuer(spelling?), just a touch of nose ahead of the front wheel is the traditional look & thats the way I like them, but keep in mind this is YOUR tank so build it the way YOU want it. I have a picture on my wall that I dug out of the basement of the Salt Flats Grill in Wendover in the late 80's of a tank with the axle in front of the nose. The name on the car is Silver Eagle, it's a P38 tank turned around backwards with the driver down inside looking out through the nose, not traditional by any means but a good looking tank.
  Anyone got any Info on that car????
 The thing that really kills the look of a tank to me is the driver sitting straight up with a big-ass roll cage hanging around him the size of an office building, now that's just wrong!
 You'll become a master in putting 10kg's of crap in a 5kg bag, it's easy to build a car & put a skin over it. It's a whole different deal to build a ship in a bottle, you'll have a whole new respect for those who have gone before you.
 You might want to look into hanging a transaxle on the back of the engine, that would be a big space saver 4 you. Definately more of that stuff available in Europe than the US, ZF, Hughland (spelling?) Didn't the Saab 900 have a transaxle in the front?? Should be a mile of those in you neck of the woods.
 My street legal tank is a 28" dia F101 Voodoo tank, plus I have one other Voodoo tank, one 26" F105 tank & four bran-new F4 tanks that I just unpacked out of their original 1965 container a few weeks ago. I also have my eye on a pair of F86 tanks. Tanks anyone?   Sid.

Offline jk hotrods

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 02:34:07 PM »
Thanks for the inputs. I got a picture that Bo Zolland made and he like the idea that we bring it to life. :wink:
I realy like the style of this one. I wil post the picture tomorrow. I will start on the frame soon and I got a good friend Egil Wahlstrøm whit me.
He is an expert on hot rod frames and he will be a big help. I will post som pics when we start.
 :cheers:

Jan.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 03:06:19 PM »
Jan, great looking tank project.

My vote however is to loose the Pontiac motor. I know many of the "old schoolers" think they are great and there is a certain cool factor to them but for the same money you can build a Toyota 2JZ-GTE motor (or even the Nissan RB25DET) [both motors are inline 6] that will reliably build 3X+ the horsepower.

There is a number of the Toyota 2JZ motors making well into 2000 whp (with 3.2l).

I know you mentioned that it was not your primary intent to break a record but with a good engine choice you could go very fast and take a few records home to boot.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline jk hotrods

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 03:04:33 PM »
Here is the look for my tank. The length is 150", and the diameter is 26".

Offline jk hotrods

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 03:09:53 PM »
Forgot the picture :roll:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 10:30:19 PM »
"OH YEAH".  I hope you're a short guy!

Offline jk hotrods

• New folks