Author Topic: Newbie Question  (Read 5358 times)

Offline Genuine GM

• Ignorance is NOT bliss.
Newbie Question
« on: October 19, 2009, 10:31:18 AM »
Hello,

I just made my first post in the introduce yourself section.  Now for my first (of many) question.

I got the 09 Rule Book on Saturday and have a question.

If I was to build a car for Vintage Gas Roadster with a V4F engine, can I use an original frame as a starting point?  The wording of the frame section left me with this question.  It states (paraphrase): "Any frame can be used if fabricated of round, square or rectangular tubing.  A full tube chassis is not allowed."

Does this mean I HAVE to make a frame or can I start with an original, bead blast, reinforce and go from there?  I ask because I have a friend with just such a frame available to me.  I had planned to build a lakester from scratch, but if I can use this frame, by all means I will go that route for my first car.   

I am not picky about what the car is, just as long as it is affordable to me and goes under 150 mph.  I don't want to get overwhelmed with the additional requirements of the faster cars when my #1 goal is to run the salt.  I can (and probably will) build a faster car or update later. 

For the record, if I can use the frame and build the V4F/GR then I will ensure the cage and suspension can go 200 mph.  Then all I would have to add it the chutes, larger fire extinguisher and other safety equipment, then cram something with more power in it.

Thanks for being here.

C. J. Daniel

Brace for many newbie questions.  I have built and raced Hot Rods/Muscle Cars most of my life so I know performance, but I am ignorant to the requirements and nuances of the Bonneville cars.
Don’t let the troubles in your head, steal too much time, you’ll soon be dead - so play. You Never Know – DMB

Offline jimmy six

Re: Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 10:57:25 AM »
Many roadsters have used original frames as a starting point.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 10:59:54 AM »
CJ, look at the USFRA site, look at 130 and 150 club rules and requirements.  These are the most cost effective ways to run on the salt and a great place to start.  While many think it is easy, both clubs have humbled a lot of racers.  
If you want to run for records, then build from the start to go fast, it will be more cost effective than building for slow classes and then modifying to go faster.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Genuine GM

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 12:26:51 PM »
Thanks,

I have looked at the USFRA 130 and 150 clubs.  I would like to try the 130 with my 65 C10, but only after I get it at the Texas Mile. 

I am building a car specifically to go after V4F records which I believe are obtainable for a rookie.  If this makes any sense; I will be making a full fledge car while getting my feet wet with the truck at the Texas Mile and then USFRA. 

I will probably not be able to actually make the salt for 5-6 years.  By that time I plan on having several Texas Miles under my belt and maybe having the GR ready.  If not, I will still try to run the truck in the 130 on the salt. 

I am making this a long term, life long goal.  For years I have said it would be cool to run on Bonneville and I have told my wife, "one day I will run on the salt."  I am tired of saying one day and not doing anything about it.  It helps that a close friend of mine feels the same way and we are going forward together.  He is broke, so he is offering labor on my car in exchange for labor on his "Hot Rod" truck (read: toy).

Don’t let the troubles in your head, steal too much time, you’ll soon be dead - so play. You Never Know – DMB

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 03:11:06 PM »
C.J. --

The V4F records are not easily attainable.  They are fiercely contested with entries from both coasts -- with lots of experience behind them.  Don't let their slower speeds mislead you.  You're more than welcome to join in the fight -- just don't think it's easy.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Genuine GM

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 03:53:28 PM »
Oh, I don't think it will be easy.  Attainable and easy are two different things in my book. 

I actually thought of doing a rear engine GR since there is no V4F record, but then I realized they would enforce the safety requirements of the nearest record which is 196+. 

BTW, Genuine GM is not the way I feel (anymore), just an old message board name that is easy for me to remember.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 04:06:37 PM »
Rear engines are not allowed in Gas Roadster.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 04:10:38 PM »
The current Rule Book shows a V4F Unblown Gas Modified Record of 119 -- the requirements for the open V4F Unblown Gas Rear Engine Modified Roadster (if still open) would be the same.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 05:53:52 PM »
Welcome to the V4F wars. It is a great place to build a car stock frame or not. At least you get to build a lot of stuff that other guys have to buy. You are not going to fall into the Ford mindset I hope.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 06:46:23 PM »
Hope he's not looking for a flathead Buick (they never made one).

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 07:33:06 PM »
I also have had a "Transition" experience about GM  I may be locked in on old ones now
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 10:23:13 PM »
   !
     1923-25, Buick did make a 220 Cu.In. 4 cyl. Try to find one, however. Would be an interesting project, however.
Doug :wink:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Genuine GM

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 10:17:39 AM »
Stan,

Thanks.  I meant Unblown Gas Rear Engine Modified Roadster when I was talking about the rear engine deal.  Bad wording on my part.    :-( 

Sorry and thanks for the clarification.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 11:31:53 AM »
"1923-25, Buick did make a 220 Cu.In. 4 cyl."

Yabut -- I'm fairly certain that from day one (1903?) Buick only built OHV motors.

Stan

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 09:18:22 AM »
   You're right. I've been looking at doing a V4 engine, and I missed the V4F. Not thinkin' with my dipstick, Jimmy. :oops:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]