Author Topic: LSR in the Everglades Oct 11 09 about 150 car turnout  (Read 10145 times)

Offline Bob Wanner

Re: LSR in the Everglades Oct 11 09 about 150 car turnout
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 04:07:36 PM »
"Then i went and checked out the videos and noted the vehicles and spectators lining the track at the edge of the runway."

Reminds me of those old B movies from the 50s,
See crazed drag racing pot smoking rock and rolling  teens,
See them  in their souped up jalopies,
See them  challenging each other to chicken races on public streets in  defiance of the law.
We've sure came a long way. It's still glorified street racing,just like 60 years ago.Obviously it's not a necessity, either legally or just responsibly , to run these events similar to what most of us in LSR are used to, would probably cut down on their gate, better known as profit. 
When, not if, the stuff hits the fan, all of straight line speed contests will suffer.
Bob W

Offline NOT A TA

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 12:06:29 AM »
The only place I saw people standing near the track was at the starting line area for about the first 20 feet where there were spectators and at the mile mark where the police were using the radar gun. There were no cars lined up along the course but there was a couple cars at the mile mark parked off to the side. There is a race this coming Sat. Nov 7 run by another group called Top Gun Run LLC. Their website is topgunrun.com

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 12:16:46 AM »
I found several videos from the event.  One had several spectators with a car, or two, and dirt bike at the edge of the track at what had to be well past half-way based on the speed and background.  The other was from the other side of the track and had what looked like a teenager straddling a bicycle at that edge of the track.  Again the speed and background seem to indicate it was at least half-way down.  It will be interesting to see how things progress down there.  I am hoping they move in a safer direction.  You mentioned a helicopter which sounds good based on how remote the track is but did they also have a EMS crew/ambulance on site? 

Offline TRNorBRN6001

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 09:49:26 PM »
Anybody have the scoop for Jan 2010? Timing lights?

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 10:13:29 PM »
Man this sound like a great venue? Florida in January! Oooooh Yeeeeah!
What can we do about helping these guys with their safety program?
Can the ECTA also rent the facility and put on their own race or do they guys have an exclusive?
It would be great to have a winter event but if there is a tragedy down there, it would give LSR a black eye and Drive Joe Timney's insurance through the roof.

Rob
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline NOT A TA

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 05:23:50 PM »
 Last email I got from the Mile Marker 1 group said they would have timing equipment in January.

I'm not sure, but it seems like anyone can rent the facility. There is an "Exotics" event being run Sat. Nov 14 (this weekend) by another group called "Top Gun Run LLC"  topgunrun.com .  There was safety workers there at the event I entered run by the Mile Marker 1 group. They appeared to be the regular airport personel with a Dade-Collier Airport truck.

The gentleman from the Mile Marker 1 group wasn't very interested in increasing safety with regulations that would prevent people from signing up however he could probably be persuaded to keep people away from the sides of the track and the finish line area once they have real timing equipment and some planning to block off the side access roads to the runway.

Offline sabat

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 09:37:59 PM »
If I can get my heap together I'll be there Jan 3rd, I hear it's a great facility. Hopefully it will cure the off-season itch.

Offline NOT A TA

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 11:55:34 AM »
It is a great track. Very wide, smooth and clean. Bring your own shade of some sort, sunscreen, and plenty of water because even in January you'll most likely need it. There was nowhere near enough shade anywhere for the number of people there when I went. The few tarps and awnings that were up were crowded because there's no other shade there other than in/under a vehicle or standing right next to a trailer.

Offline TRNorBRN6001

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 10:58:58 PM »
Dean, has Sal rangled you into 9/10ths yet! LOL

Hope you get the bike ready and make it. I hear Entropy has a car load of familia he is transporting.

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2009, 10:02:28 AM »
I thought I read about another group running an event there last weekend.  has anyone heard anything about how that went?

Offline Rogan

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 12:07:40 AM »
Timing on Oct 11th was by 2 radar guns Milemarker-1 brought to the event.  Yes the cops used theirs as well as they wanted to compare.

We had hiccups for our first event obviously, but we are learned.  We purchased (not lease) TAG equipment for future events including the Jan 3rd 2010 event we just had. 

We are car enthusiasts who want to put on events for fellow car enthusiasts.  We will review our safety rules, but I don't recall any rust buckets at either event...Oct 11th & Jan 3rd.  One passenger car on the track that is approximately 130 feet wide isn't as dangerous as two cars with full roll cages racing side by side....however we can appreciate your concern and are willing to hear some suggestions to make things safer.

NOT A TA...I think you had some fun even though it was super hot that day.  You got in 9 runs. :cheers:

I went to the Milemarker-1 race Sunday and entered with my 70 Firebird. The event was held at Dade-Collier airport. Organization was poor. Timing was by an officer with a radar gun. Tech and safety inspection was almost non existant. There were no classes or safety requirements for any speed. The track is perfect, A 2 mile smooth concrete airport runway still maintained although the runway is not used much. I did not see a single airplane howerever there was a helicopter and pilot which made me feel better that if there was an injury the person could be transported. 

The quality of cars there was very high with almost all cars being newer vehicles with turbos, superchargers or nitrous.  The staging lanes looked more like a car show than a race area because all of the vehicles were so nice looking.

My car was by far the oldest car there and the only one with a carb. One of only a handfull of cars that had any kind of rollover protection and one of only a couple with fire supression. There were a couple people with driving suits. Most of the cars were running in the 150-190 range according to the radar gun and peoples GPS and datalogging equipment. Several cars were running 190-220.

here's a link to a thread with pictures and videos from the event http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6103461

Offline Rogan

• New folks
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 12:41:23 AM »
They don't care...it's just about the MONEY!!!

There is absolutely no question about that. They tried to charge me $30.00 just to park my trailer! Spectators were all charged and there were at least a couple hundred spectators. Early sign up was 100.00, regular 150.00 and at the gate the morning of the event 195.00. They were originally supposed to only allow 90 sign ups, then it went to 101 then 113 then 140 and there were at least 150 by the time they ran. A lot of the racers were so hot and angry by the time they got their first run they only made one pass and left. I was told temps in staging and starting areas were up to 110 degrees.

I'm sorry you feel this way.  I can see how it would look in regards to paying for a trailer and personally didn't like that call...but I am not the sole decision maker.  We hope to be around for quite sometime, so it being just about the money is NOT our motto or a motto we want participants thinking.  I will see about getting that cost removed. 8-) 

As far as the entries it will not grow as it did in the past.  Some folks in our camp was excited about some of the late comers like Eddie B coming on so it ended up growing to 140.  The extra 10 was for workers who didn't run until after most of the participants left.  Run groups would have helped that day, but others who visit other events in other states strongly suggested against it.  Jan 3rd had a lot less participants and I loved the fact most participants had a lot of runs.  I'm all about the happy customer.  I think we now know what the cap should be for future events.

I can admit to where we had shortcomings, but I can also say we love the sport and the camaraderie.  And I hope over time you and others can see that. :-)

Offline entropy

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 04:27:30 AM »
Rogan,
I just got back to Houston after participating in yr Jan 3 event.
Thanks a million for hosting a very good racing day, your track is the best I have seen (Texas, Maxton, Loring).
I will come again.

One suggestion.
have that cop in the blue crown vic put the kibosh on those Fast & Furious nimrods who were showing off on pit row.

Karl
(green ZX12)

Offline wrongway

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 09:53:45 AM »
hey Karl ,

I see they allow passengers... want to do a ride along in the camaro ? I will even put belts in the car for ya :-)

Roy

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 10:04:46 AM »
Karl, how fast did you go??

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing