Author Topic: Once More Out The Back Door = El Mirage No More  (Read 3679 times)

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
Once More Out The Back Door = El Mirage No More
« on: October 08, 2009, 05:22:27 PM »
I would bet a great deal of money that in 20 years we will NOT be racing at El Mirage.  And I'd bet a fair amount of money we won't be there in 5 years. One reason might be because the BLM may some day get a new regional director who simply doesn't like us.  To my mind a more plausible (and much more horrible) reason would be because a wandering quad runner crosses the course or a high speed back door exit kills a young kid riding in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Two possible solutions:

1.  Move ALL El Mirage racing to Monday.  Or:
2.  Each meet will be two days.  If your car needs a chute, or the class record is over 150mph (or whatever) you race on Monday.  Everyone else in the slower classes races on Sunday.

True we won't sell as much at the sales trailer.  And the concessionaire might not want to come out on Monday.  And many folks work on Monday.  But face it.  If what we want is to race, then we are going to have to change.  You can count on that.  And on Mondays the place is deserted.  And many shops and stuff are open Tuesday through Saturday anyways.  And yes, you might have to take a vacation day here and there.

BUT... leave it as it is and guaranteed it will be gone..... and sooner rather than later.

Thots?

Jim
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline desotoman

Re: Once More Out The Back Door = El Mirage No More
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 05:38:31 PM »
Jim,

There is a committee which will meet at the October meet to discuss what should be done to entries who run out the back door. Any suggestions?

You have some very valid points. I only run at El Mirage and I would hate to see anything happen to our local race track.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

saltfever

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 05:40:46 AM »
What happened to this thread? There were about 4 or 5 pages a few days ago!   :?

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 06:23:03 AM »
The other thread, which you remember is under "Bonneville Salt Flat Discussion", "Bonneville General Chat" and it's still there, all six pages.

Pete

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 08:45:10 AM »
That is what happens when you post the same thing in multiple spots.... one takes off and the other dies, then when you look for it, it's gone... 'cause you found the wrong one  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 12:46:05 PM »
Jon (SSS),

Would it be possible, well more to the point, practical to have a special topic (like "Technical") for all SAFETY issues?

Safety runs across most of the threads and all LSR venues.

It would be nice to have all topics from "Hans" to Fire Bottles, seat belts etc. in one place.

Just a thought.

Tom

Offline bald1

• neald
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 01:00:39 PM »
Safety catagory is an excellent idea.
neald

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 01:19:39 PM »
Neal,

If you are "Bald1"  I will have to be "Bald Too".

Tom (cheap way of getting to 500 posts)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 01:43:44 PM »
I like the idea of a safety section as well. I would also like to see a better tab locator system which I will discuss with Jon W. Regardless of how this goes one must remember that the Racing Assoc's. rules must be followed. This web site is only for Q & A and to point the members in the right direction.

Each venue operates a little different and they should be contacted if you are not sure if your vehicle fits the rule.
As many questions can be answered on this site and in the archives under tech issues or Bonneville and other Assoc's. it is still best to get the official word. All Assoc's are listed on the front page of this web site.

Jon (SSS) is willing to work with us to set up other sections and more direct short cuts to locate areas of interest.
He will be back next week and I will get with him to get something started.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 04:20:41 PM »
Thanks Glen. I think a separate section is a great idea.

Pete