Author Topic: Kawasaki 1000cc A/G - Recycled Racer™II for El Mirage  (Read 56482 times)

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
Re: Kawasaki 1000cc A/G - Recycled Racer™II for El Mirage
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2010, 12:15:09 PM »
Buzz,
I am not a "bike guy" but that is a great looking bike. I usually make the first Elmo meet so probably see you there.

Rex

Thanks Rex.  I'm a car guy too, Mopar's, early hemi stuff.  Stop by and introduce yourself in May...

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2010, 01:22:41 PM »
Lookin better and better SWEET!
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
Lookin better and better SWEET!

Thanks oz.....can't wait to see if she runs.....

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2010, 07:10:56 PM »
Well I’m another step closer to being ready for the May meet at El Mirage.  The bike is finished, the new turbo engine runs, the tranny shifts and all seems right with the world!
I just need to do some tuning on the high side of the S&S Super B carb (that should be fun---NOT), change the class numbers to 1350 cc A/BF and then take her out for the maiden voyage (around the block).
I’m anticipating some issues with tuning the S&S as I’ve never worked on, or ran, an S&S carb and I’ve never build or ran a turbo engine, so this is all new to me.  I’m glad I’ve got some extra time to fiddle with this setup before the event in May (I just hope I don’t hurt the engine while I’m trying to get it setup)……..

A couple of shots of the finished bike……

Looking forward to seeing everyone in May….

Buzz

Offline bak189

« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2010, 07:24:05 PM »
The bike looks great......except for that aircleaner......we ran almost the same cleaner including the elbow
.....would not pass enough air at full bore......We used a KZ Kawa with the same Turbo set-up as yours, at 10lbs boost........get another air-cleaner set-up........................................................................
Question authority.....always

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2010, 08:27:58 PM »
It looks great.  Its nice to see it coming together. 

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2010, 08:54:40 PM »
Looks good and a bit "toasty"

John

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2010, 10:52:05 PM »
itz to pretty to get dirty Buzz......
kent

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2010, 12:07:53 AM »
The bike looks great......except for that aircleaner......we ran almost the same cleaner including the elbow
.....would not pass enough air at full bore......We used a KZ Kawa with the same Turbo set-up as yours, at 10lbs boost........get another air-cleaner set-up........................................................................

bak189,

I really appreciate your input and candor. The air cleaner has been a source of problems since I decided to run the turbo.  I felt the cleaner I came up with was too small but my plan (and don't shoot me) is to run the bike in May and make an initial pass or two and see how the bike runs.  If I feel the bike would run better, with better intake air flow I'll make a couple of passes without the air cleaner (gulp). If I get my 1000cc normally aspirated engine completed by mid-June This turbo engine is coming out of the bike and going on the shelf so I'm not too worried about hurting it.

I f I decide to run the turbo for more than one meet then I'll see if I can come up with a better (read bigger) air cleaner.

Thanks again for the advice.

Buzz

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2010, 12:12:25 AM »
Looks good and a bit "toasty"

John

I'll need to pay close attention to my left leg John  :|.  I'm going back and forth on whether or to wrap the exhaust.  There a little more clearance than appears in the photos but I know the exhaust is going to get hot.....fast!

Buzz

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2010, 12:17:26 AM »
itz to pretty to get dirty Buzz......
kent

Thanks Kent, I appricate that coming from you.

I wasn't able to to use the pipes I got from you, the turbo hit the rear frame down tube.  If you need the pipes (for parts) for your project just let me know and I'll let you have them back. I appricate you taking the trouble to get them to me in the first place.

Thanks,

Buzz

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2010, 08:10:09 PM »
Well it looks like it time for "Plan B"...... :cry:

Only 19 days until El Mirage and I buggered up the turbo last Saturday.  Not sure whether it's just a seal or the shaft.  Lot's of smoke coming out the exhaust and a small puddle of oil in the exhaust housing.

I'm having no luck finding anyone to repair the turbo in time for the May meet so guess I'll throw on a different cylinder and pistons, find some carbs, and run in the 1000cc A/G class.

It could be worst...it could have happened at the meet and ruined my whole weekend.......

Hope to see everyone in a couple of weeks......

Buzz

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2010, 01:05:49 AM »
Sorry to read about the last minute big problem.  There are always one or two, it seems.  Good luck at El Mirage. 

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2010, 12:14:39 PM »
Thanks Wobbly,
I was only going to run the turbo for the May Meet anyway so this is maybe a blessing in disguise. Now I can work on getting the bike to up to speed in the class were I have a chance at the Record.
Thanks Care,
Buzz

PS: Been reading your build diary and looks like the triumph is coming along nicely....

Offline summer heat

« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2011, 10:50:25 AM »
I know this is an old post, but very curious how the runs went, and updates on your class record chase ???

Have taken my stock kz900 to Bonneville and looking at doing something new with her, so this post was very interesting.

Thanks