Author Topic: Kawasaki 1000cc A/G - Recycled Racer™II for El Mirage  (Read 56481 times)

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
Re: Kawasaki 1000cc A/G - Recycled Racer™II for El Mirage
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2009, 03:00:45 PM »
Thanks everyone...

It's been a hectic and fast build but it's also been fun..I can't wait to get it dirty....

55chevr,
Anytime you're out this way let me know and you can take her for a spin....not sure it will be fastest ride you've ever had but it will be different!!

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline Crosley

« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2009, 04:17:19 PM »
the bike does look good...

A/G  class makes me smile since I am a middle aged drag racer type of guy when Gassers were the car to watch make a pass
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2009, 04:34:13 PM »
Crosley,

Funny you should mention that...I had the same warm and fuzzy feeling when realized I'd be in A/G class at El Mirage.

Back in my younger days I had a modified 55 Chevy with a big block Cadillac engine, six strombergs carbs and a LaSalle three speed, that ran in the A/Gas class....

Ran the car at Beeline a few times in the early '60s........

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline Dreamweaver

« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2009, 11:51:36 AM »
Nice meeting you Buzz.

1513B  1000CC A-G     Ron Buzbee Sidewinders Ron Buzbee 128.559 172.416    :cheers:

Good job, now get that street motor out of there and show em how a Vegas guy does it in the dirt  :-D

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2009, 12:07:21 PM »
Nice meeting you Buzz.

1513B  1000CC A-G     Ron Buzbee Sidewinders Ron Buzbee 128.559 172.416    :cheers:

Good job, now get that street motor out of there and show em how a Vegas guy does it in the dirt  :-D

Great build and he sailed through tech with no issues, congrats on making the deadline and for having a very successful first event.  :cheers:

Nice meeting you Buzz.

J

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2009, 03:18:10 PM »
Nice meeting you Buzz.

Thanks Bill..nice meeting you too. 

I had a ball and can't wait til next May!

Keep in touch.

Buzz

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2009, 03:24:05 PM »
Nice meeting you Buzz.

John,

Great build and he sailed through tech with no issues, congrats on making the deadline and for having a very successful first event.  :cheers:

Nice meeting you Buzz.

J

John,

Nice meeting you too.  Thanks for all the help and advice. Your input really helped make my first event successful.

I'm looking forward to next May....Already started removing the street engine and I've decided to go ahead and run the 1200cc turbo engine for the first meet of next year.

Thanks again!

Buzz  :-D

Saturday morning....it was cold!

Ready for the first run....

After the 128 mph run..
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 03:28:12 PM by Dakzila »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2009, 01:04:50 AM »
Congratulations.  They posted the run log yesterday and there it was.  A 128 mph run.  Good job.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2009, 09:01:13 PM »
I have a good used 1500cc Alky block with 18mm pin flat top pistons if they interest you let me know.
John
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline beerbellykelly

• #1980-A/F 1350-AIRCOOLED-TOO COOL FOR SKOOL
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2009, 06:54:13 PM »
JUST TO SAY I READ THE WHOLE THREAD AND HOW GOOD IT WAS TO SEE A GREAT LOOKING AIRCOOLED BIKE FOR A CHANGE-
ah,caps locked again.

doing a fast build and hitting the track with no problems is a real achievement.

great story.
GOD BLESS THE HUMMIN' CUMMINS
www.jamesandfriend.com

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2009, 09:21:54 PM »
Glad you like the story Beerbelly.  I hope to add another chapter next season when I put a better engine in the chassis.

Long live the air cooled in-line four cylinder motorcycle engine   :cheers:

Buzz

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2010, 02:09:03 AM »
Buzz, you have not posted anything in awhile.  Are you still working on the Kaw or have you switched to the jet bike?

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2010, 12:07:01 PM »
Buzz, you have not posted anything in awhile.  Are you still working on the Kaw or have you switched to the jet bike?

Morning Wobbly,

Still working on the Kawasaki.  I've pulled the street engine and put in the turbo engine I'll be running for the May event at El Mirage. I'm having some issues with the the turbo exhaust so I'm chasing parts right now and not getting much done.

I'm also in the process of building the normally asperated 998cc engine that I'll be running after the May meet.

I've decided to make a few changes to the bike also. I'm going to add a tach, move the foot pegs, put a 18" front wheel on and add some upholsterly to the seat area.
I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to run the Mojave Mile in March.  If I decide to run that event I'll also have to add a front fender and front brakes to pass tech.

How's your bike coming along?

Take Care,

Buzz

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2010, 02:05:51 AM »
Fixing the broken pipes turned into replumbing the lower floor of the house.  This leads to a partial bathroom remodel.  No time to work on the sleds.

I do have time to order parts.  We are turning Werner's 150 cc honda into a 175 cc tire shredding monster.  The Triumph had 790 cc jugs with 9.2 to 1 compression.  Now some new Triumph cylinders and pistons will give it 865 cc with 9.1 to 1 ratio.  The original rods probably would last forever.  I keep under 8,000 rpm.  I got a new set from Triumph and I will put them in as insurance against a fatigue break.  Today I sent my stock cams in to South Bay Triumph in exchange for their grind 813 street cam.  That's all for this year.  More than I can afford, really, but the bike should well into the 130's. 

Right now I take the parts out of the boxes, look at them, fondle them, and put them back in the containers.  The engine work will start when the house repair ends.

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2010, 12:24:39 PM »
Rembember that you have to set priorities  :wink:....

Hope the remodeling works out okay and nothing new crops up that will take time away from the really important things you need to get accomplished.

I alway love having new parts to play with, it's a shame that you have to put into the engine and get them all scuffed up and dirty.

Do you only run at Bonneville?  I'd love to see the Triumph run sometime.....

Buzz