Author Topic: Kawasaki 1000cc A/G - Recycled Racer™II for El Mirage  (Read 56492 times)

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
Re: Kawasaki 1000cc A/G - Recycled Racer™II for El Mirage
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2009, 08:50:50 PM »
 :|  Allnighters is right....Last Saturday and Sunday were killers but a lot was accomplished.

Fabricated the chain guard, installed the exhaust system (had to try three different systems before I found one that will work), Installed the carbs, got the throttle cables made and installed and tested the fuel pump to make sure it won't siphone with the power off and the bike on it's side.  Got the rest of the safety issues addressed and had to chase parts for most of Saturday afternoon.
Alway the small missing parts (AN fittings, fuel line and etc) that seem to take the most time.
The fuel system is completed and working ( I was a little worried that the pump might overpower the float seats but nope, it works great...1.5 lbs of unregulated pressure.

All that's left to do, on the bike, is the wiring and install the braided rear brake line & bleed the brake.
Then I remembered that I have to have a CB (and get it installed) and buy a trailer hitch and get it installed on my new tow vehicle (Well not really a new tow vehicle, but new to me).
So even if it doesn't sound like much I'm sure I'll be working many hours next Saturday and Sunday if I'm going to stand a chance of making El Mirage the 14th.
Then I have to hope I read all the rules and the bike will pass tech!!!

Header almost completely installed.

Chain guard completed and ready to go....

Almost ready....wiring and rear brake left to do!!

« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 08:54:42 PM by Dakzila »
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2009, 09:16:34 PM »
Great job Ron!  All the best to you on the maiden voyage!
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2009, 01:47:48 AM »
Buzz,

Your new KZ land speed racer looks great. The long hours and attention to detail show in the final product.
Good luck at El Mirage later this month.

Scott
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline Dreamweaver

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2009, 11:17:20 AM »
Looking good Buzz.

Hope to stop by your pit and say hi from one Las Vegan to another, my brother and i will be there as spectators.

Bill aka Dreamweaver

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2009, 01:07:59 PM »
Great job Ron!  All the best to you on the maiden voyage!

Thanks Hayaboosta,
We'll see how I get through tech and if the weather cooporates......I'll post an update after the event...

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2009, 01:10:07 PM »
Buzz,

Your new KZ land speed racer looks great. The long hours and attention to detail show in the final product.
Good luck at El Mirage later this month.

Scott

Scott,

Thanks a lot....I'll probably need all the luck I can mustard up   :?

Buzz

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2009, 01:12:20 PM »
Looking good Buzz.

Hope to stop by your pit and say hi from one Las Vegan to another, my brother and i will be there as spectators.

Bill aka Dreamweaver

Bill,

Look forward to meeting you, please stop by and say Hi. 

Look for a white Dodge Durango with a black 4X8 open trailer......See you in a couple of weeks.

Buz

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2009, 12:49:14 PM »
Buzz,

This works real good for me.  I have a notebook.  After every change to the engine, intake system, or exhaust, I run it on a dyno to set the fuel mixture.  I get traces of the mixture, torque, and horsepower.  This goes into the notebook.  This can be done before or after the race, but it works best if done before.  Then, I note all of the gear and chain reduction ratios in the engine and drive line, including tire circumference.  Also, spark plugs, jetting, spark advance angle, and cold compression.  At the track, I note surface condition, the fuel I am using, and the tire pressures.  The timing slips give me temperature, humidity, etc.

Then I run.  The all important info is the tachometer reading.  I use the same tach on all runs and every year.  Tachs are not all the same and this gives me a good comparison on a year-to-year basis.  I write down my impressions about engine performance, handling, etc.

After the run I use the tachometer data, gearing data, and tire circumference to calculate my speed assuming no tire slip.  Then I look at my timing slip to get my actual speed.  Some basic division gives me a tire slip factor.  Throughout the next year I use the data in the notebook for all sorts of other things.

I am sure you do this after your long racing career, but some of this may be new.  A lot of people collect far more data than I do.  Good luck on your maiden run.  The bike look like it is almost ready to go.

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2009, 05:04:29 PM »
Wobblywalrus,

Thanks for all of the suggestions and information.  Yeah, I already keep information on the mechanical (engine) stuff but I've never used a tech as a tuning tool.  I've always relied on a preset rev limiter and shift light for keeping the engine in the right rpm range. I just running my street engine in the chassis this weekend and I didn't have time to install a tach so I'll just be taking it easy and getting use to the dirt and seeing how the chassis feels.

I'm sure tire slipage is a big issue and I'm guessing that calculating that variable will come with seat time and experience.

I know I've got a lot to learn and I'm appreciative of the all the information and insight that the members of this forum dowel out.....Thanks to all of you!!!!!

Yes, the bike is finally completed and I've even had a chance to ride it around the block. I've got the bike on the trailer and we're both already in SoCal, so if I can get the CB installed this week we'll at rookie orientation on Friday afternoon.

Thanks again for the info..

Buzz

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2009, 12:08:10 PM »
Buzz,

Congrats on getting your beat ready for battle  :cheers:

When you say you took it around the block how hard was it to turn with the rule 7.B.19 regarding the 15 degree limited steering?

I know it makes it tough to ride mine around on the street unless I take them off.

See you this weekend and good luck ! !

John

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2009, 12:31:45 PM »
John,

I didn't install the steering stops until after the ride. I didn't get the stops completely fabricated until late Sunday night so I'm hoping that my SWAG is within the 15 degree range.  :?

Getting through tech will be my goal this weekend.  If I miss something I'll have a little to make some corrections.  Making a run will be a bonus!!!!

Buzz

Offline gixxerfixxer

• New folks
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2009, 01:05:17 PM »
Yea I just installed the stearing stops on mine as well

and Wow what a diffrence moving it around...

See you guys down there   :cheers:

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2009, 01:29:16 PM »
Buzz,

Make sure that your leathers are 100% cow and are not perforated, Snell 2005 helmet.

Regarding the rest we can assist you in getting the rest done on the lake bed, I will be there on Thursday so look us up.

Attached is a picture of the truck and trailer, it will look "tan" and not White I am sure.  :wink:

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2009, 01:32:59 PM »
Yea I just installed the stearing stops on mine as well

and Wow what a diffrence moving it around...

See you guys down there   :cheers:

Carl,

I will bring your fuel..see you there.. :cheers:

John

Offline gixxerfixxer

• New folks
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2009, 04:00:06 PM »
Thanks John,

I took out the stops so I could move the bike around,  15 degs is not very much.

Being new to El mirage I never knew all the little details

Oh and I thought the Snell 2005 helmet is in effect in Jan. 2010

I think mine is still Snell 2000

:cheers:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 04:02:28 PM by gixxerfixxer »