Author Topic: Kawasaki 1000cc A/G - Recycled Racer™II for El Mirage  (Read 56484 times)

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
Re: Kawasaki 1000cc A/G - Recycled Racer™II for El Mirage
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 08:10:54 PM »
 :? :?  Okay, don't keep an old man in suspense......

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline joea

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
...hint....suzuki....

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 10:45:08 PM »
Built by Larry Forstall!!
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 11:53:20 PM »
Twin engine GSXR 1100  :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 01:32:34 AM »
Dak, in response to your question about Tod Cole running the swingarm at El Mirage, I don't know.  I saw it at Bonneville.  He can be personally contacted through this website.  Tod goes pretty fast and he would know a lot more about it than me.  I am "velocity challenged" and have no idea if adjusting the wheelbase would be worth the trouble.  Wheelspin is not an issue with my 67 hosepower Triumph. 

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 01:51:25 AM »

The ingenuity and creativity of the members of this forum (and sport) are amazing!

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 03:52:44 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I just saw another shot of the Twin GSXR in a different thread. Can't wait to see it run if he make it to El Mirage in November.
Buzz

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 04:57:35 PM »
October, 9th 2009

Okay a little progress. I was able to pick up the tires and wheels this week after having Nate Jones shave and balance them. I was also able to pick up the rear rotor after having it resurfaced.  I was also able to locate a set of clip-on handle bars that I liked so I grabbed them too.

The reason I had to have the tires shaved is because in the 1000cc A/G class I have to run on the 170+ mph record and Z rated tires are required.

I could not find any Z rated tires that fit my application, in the sizes I wanted. I wanted to run a 19” front wheel, 2.15” wide and a 18” rear wheel, 3” wide. I needed a tall narrow front tire that I could mount on a narrow (2.15”) rim and the tallest rear tire I could find that would mount on a narrow (3.0”) rear rim.
I was able to source both tires at Bridgestone but they were only V rated.

The tires I decided on are; Bridgestone Battlax BT45 F 100/90-19 front tire and a Bridgestone Battlax BT45R 140/80-18 rear tire. Since both of these tires are only rated for V speeds I contacted Nate Jones at Cowboy tire to have them both shaved.  Nate shaved and balanced them both and gave me a quick turn around.

So hopefully tomorrow (Saturday) I can start assembling the rolling chassis. 

Some shots of the wheels, tires and clip-on bars below.

Buzz

Shot of the rear tire after being shaved. 

Another shot of the rear wheel and tire showing the balance weights and side profile of the tire.

Another shot of the front profile of the rear tire.

A shot of the front tire profile showing how much tread was shaved during the process.

Shot of the front wheel and tire.

And a final shot of the new clip-on bars..

« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 06:23:20 PM by Dakzila »

Offline bak189

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 08:40:18 PM »
Some of you people should go back and read some of the previous post regarding TIRES.......................
RACING TIRES that are for 18inch and 19inch wheels can be purchased from RC. BARKER ENG. in Florida
Question authority.....always

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 10:11:22 PM »
RC Barker did not have a 26.1 diameter 18" rear tire, Bridgestone did. The 100/90-19 Dunlop front that they carry did not carry a speed rating, just rated " not for highway use".

Since I'm new to LSR I figured I'd be better off buying tires that had speed rating stamped on the tires (V) and then getting them up to specs via the suggested method.  Besides, It was less expensive to purchase the Bridgestones, have them mounted and have them shaved, than to purchase the tires from RC Barker and have them shipped.

There's always a multitude of methods when skinning a cat, and the end results are all the same, a dead cat!

Buzz

Offline willieworld

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 10:31:39 PM »
buzz          you did good                                  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Dreamweaver

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2009, 01:27:42 AM »
Raced at Thunderbird Raceway in Henderson did ya?

Nice to see someone from Vegas getting into this, maybe see ya around the dirt.

I'm a spectator only at this moment.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 02:21:04 AM »
Dak, post how that tire combination works, the air pressures you ran, etc.   

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2009, 11:50:55 AM »
Dreamweaver,

YES! Thunderbird Raceway off of Boulder Highway...Didn't think anyone on the forum would reconize the name so I just left it out.  Also a raced a a 650 Triumph many time at the St George strip and a fuel Harley at the old Stardust Raceway in the late "70.  Lot's of good memories.

Are you from the Vegas area?

Willie, Thanks!!!!

Wobblywalrus,
Hopefully after the November meet I'll have some setup and tuning data to post.

Thanks to all for looking...

Buzz

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2009, 12:26:04 AM »
 :-D
October, 11th 2009

More progress.  Well she’s up on wheels! Yesterday I was able to get the forks and front wheel mounted, fabricate another rear inner fender(I still have some trimming to do on the inner fender but not until I install the chain), fab up a rear brake caliper stay arm and get the rear wheel, rotor and sprocket all assembled and mounted to the frame.  I was also able to get the “nutserts” installed in the frame for the fuel tank and battery holder.

Now that I’m writing it down it doesn’t seem like I accomplished much but it took me most of the day just to get this far.

Next week I’ll try to get the safety wiring done on the axles and other critical fasteners and take the donor engine out of the street bike and get it installed in the LSR frame. Then it’s just wiring and plumbing left…..I’m still planning on running at the November El Mirage meet……..keeping my fingers crossed..

A couple of photos below.

First shot of the front end installed and ready to go.

Add the front wheel with the spacer fitted and ready to go.

Rear wheel, rotor, sprocket and caliper all assembled and install into the swingarm.

Had to fab up a rear caliper brake stay arm.

Nutserts installed to secure the battery box and fuel tank.

View of the battery box and tank installed.

A view from above of the battery box and tank.

Newly fab inner rear fender.

Just another shot of the rear of the frame.

An it's up on both wheel, Finally!!!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 12:30:50 AM by Dakzila »