Author Topic: Kawasaki 1000cc A/G - Recycled Racer™II for El Mirage  (Read 56480 times)

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
Kawasaki 1000cc A/G - Recycled Racer™II for El Mirage
« on: October 06, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »

First a little background on me and the project bike….

I’ve been riding and racing motorcycles, in one form or another, for over fifty years. My first bike was a James, given to me by my brother-in-law, in 1956. I started drag racing a Triumph Cub in 1958 at the local strip in Las Vegas. Back in those days Nevada allowed you to get a motorcycle license at age 13 as long as your scooter or motorcycle was governed to 35 MPH.  I rode home right after I passed my driver’s test and removed the restrictor gasket from behind the carb, the following weekend I was at the drag strip having the time of my life.  I took the overall win in my class that weekend and I guess that set the hook for the rest of my life!
My passion for motorcycles found me racing TT, motoX, Desert, Sand Drags, the Mint 400 off road race and the Barstow to Vegas event but somehow I always ended up back at the  drag strip!
The last serious drag bike I built was a 1600cc normally aspirated Kawasaki. Very quick and fast bike but lots of maintenance and attention needed after every race. I sold that bike in 1999 and have just been building small 1200cc bracket bikes since then. I seem to build them, race them for a season, and then sale them….. and then the cycle (no pun intended) starts all over again.
I’ve always thought about building a bike for Bonneville and so last June I decide it was time.
I attended the SCTA Sidewinders Club meeting in June of this year (2009) and became a member in July.  I started going out to El Mirage in June as a spectator just to get a feel for the event and nose around the bikes to see what was being run. I saw, turbo Suzuki, turbo Suzuki, turbo Suzuki, small cc Triumph, Harley, turbo Suzuki, normally aspirated Suzuki, Harley and etc…..Looks Suzuki is the way to go, or not!
Since 1988 I’ve been using the Kawasaki Z1/KZ 900 and 1000 engines as the base power plants for my drag bikes.   I have a very old and worn Kawasaki drag bike frame setting beside the house and a lot of spare 900 and 1000 engine parts in the garage. I decide to update the frame and build a normally aspirated 998cc Kawasaki four cylinder engine to run in the 1000cc A/G class at El Mirage. Since the majority of parts for this project will be recycled from previous race bikes, ie left over parts,  I’m hoping to keep my project build cost under $2,500.00.
For a bike built with recycled parts and a $2,500.00 budget I don’t expect to set any records or wow any fellow racers. I just want to see what the bike will do and whether I’ll successful at riding it to its full ability on the dirt.  I’ll just have to live with the power and speed it produces. Besides I shouldn’t be thinking about records or 200 mph speeds as a rookie in this type of racing. I figure that regardless of the lack of horsepower the older style KZ  engine makes, that eventually I should be able to get up to 150 mph, and on the dirt with a ridged frame that should offer a little excitement…
I’m going to use a stock Kawasaki GPZ750 rear wheel, 18X3, and a stock Kawasaki GPZ1100 rear rotor and caliper on the bike. Spacers need to be fabricated for the rear wheel as well as a rear caliper torque arm. I’m going to run a 26 inch tall tire on the rear to help with the gearing I want to run as well as adding a bit of additional rotating weight to help absorb some of the engine pulses and smooth out the power delivery.
I discovered that the front wheel I was going to use was not legal so now I’m going to use a 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan front wheel, 2X19. I had to fabricate front wheel spacers so the Vulcan wheel would set correctly in the Betor front forks.
So the old frame is sand blasted, all of the old welds inspected, new gussets added, seat mount modified, rear inner fender added, one additional steering damper mount added, fuel tank and battery box mounts redone, rear brake stay arm mount added and zeus fasteners tabs welded on for the aluminum body panels.  Frame is painted and I’m ready to assemble the rolling chassis.
It’s taken me four months to get to this point. I only get to work on the bike about 6 hours a week, in a good week.
More later….

Buzz

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:52:36 PM by Dakzila »
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
Re: Kawasaki 1000cc A/G "Recycle Racer" for El Mirage
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 03:56:37 PM »
PS

A special "thank you" to SSS for the info on posting the photos...

Buzz
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:54:32 PM by Dakzila »
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 07:02:09 PM »
Z1 Kawasaki?

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 07:32:48 PM »
Yep, an old Z1 engine that will punched out to 998cc.

Buzz
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:55:31 PM by Dakzila »

Offline 55chevr

Re: Kawasaki 1000cc A/G - Recycled Racer™II for El Mirage
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 09:28:51 PM »
Gusset it well ... they certainly are flexible ... are you running a Kosman swingarm?

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 10:11:24 PM »
No, not a Kosman, the swingarm is a one-off built by a fabricator back East.
If the chassis turns out to be too long I'll probably contact Sandy (Kosman) for a shorter replacement.

Thanks for looking.

Buzz

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 11:51:31 PM »
This is a swingarm with long adjustment slots.  It seems like a good idea.  A bit of axle movement to suit salt conditions, and quicker to adjust than to switch swingarms.  The arm is on Tod Cole's Triumph. 

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 11:54:39 PM »
Looks like a nice arm.  I'd like to take a closer look.  Does Tod run at El Mirage?

Buzz

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 10:19:20 AM »
Dak, if your swingarm keeps the rider between the axles then it is OK... what you need is a very structurally stiff bike frame and swingarm.  No lateral movement, then have the wheels going the same direction and see how it rides.  Just build it and don't over think... weights can be added just provision for them...
isn't it a hard tail now?
Good luck with the project.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:23:50 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 11:24:30 AM »
SSS, Yes, it's a hard tail now but can be converted to a suspension setup.

Like you said, I'm just going to build it like I planned and see how it handles.

Buzz

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 12:21:54 PM »
Great project Dak, please continue to update the build progress. You seem to have very realistic goals and the desire to participate, gain some experience now and the records will come later.
Good luck with the KZ, there's lots of life left in some of the old bikes.

Scott
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 01:47:19 PM »
Scott,

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

That's a good looking bike you have. Can't tell by the small picture what it is ????

Buzz

Offline joea

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 03:42:03 PM »
........youll never guess.......

..unless you say...coool....

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 07:46:50 PM »
Can you say oil cooled. :roll:

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 08:07:56 PM »
Can you say oil cooled. :roll:

Fred

Looks like the GSXR-3000  :mrgreen:

John