Author Topic: Kawasaki 1000cc A/G - Recycled Racer™II for El Mirage  (Read 56584 times)

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
Re: Kawasaki 1000cc A/G - Recycled Racer™II for El Mirage
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2010, 06:18:26 PM »

And a final shot of the new clip-on bars..

[/quote]

those are nice. homemade or available from a source?

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2010, 06:27:08 PM »

And a final shot of the new clip-on bars..

those are nice. homemade or available from a source?

franey
[/quote]

Franey,

I picked up the clip-on bars at:

Stead Fast Cycles
26516 Ruether Ave
Santa Clarita, CA 91350
661-252-1174

I believe I paid about 90.00 in the raw metal form. They sale a few different sizes. They sale them on E-bay as well.
Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2010, 06:55:42 PM »
thanx, i'll contact them.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2010, 12:00:24 PM »
So this weekend I'll get the final details and misc items of the engine finished and hopefully get it installed in the chassis.

The engine been in out out of the chassis a couple of times since November but I think (HOPE) I've finally got everything I need to get this project moving again.

I thought I'd do a test post because I seem to have a bit of trouble in getting pictures transferred from Photobucket to my build thread..

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline bak189

« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2010, 12:32:25 PM »
Looking good...........Hopefully, you won't starve crankshaft for oil taking the oil feed off the engine.....
Back in the 1990's when we set many sidecar records with the "good old Turbo/Kaw" we build a complete other lube system for the Turbo, using a electric pump and tank.......worked great for us.....................

PS. Keep a eye on the engine's wrist pins with the Turbo......builds a lot of heat in that area.......gave us some problems.......use a good oil................................................................................................

How much boost are you planning on?????

PS..PS.. Shurfo Pump...Electric....as used by NASCAR to circulate oil in the cars diff.
Question authority.....always

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2010, 01:08:56 PM »
An advantage of a separate system is the turbo would get plenty of oil regardless of engine speed.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2010, 01:22:31 PM »
That motor looks absolutley gorgeous!!

Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2010, 02:14:38 PM »
     An electric pump set up can also be configured to be turned on before start up for primer/prelube and left on awhile after shutdown to prevent heat from "sizzling" the oil out creating a dry bearing and possibly even leaving unwanted deposits. 

Ed

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2010, 06:29:50 PM »
Back in the 70's I drag raced a turbo Z1 fueler... lubed the turbo with a separate mechanical pump driven off the crankshaft ... only way to do as the alcohol contaminated the engine oil quickly plus the Kawi engine oil pump doesnt make a lot of pressure as it is a roller bearing crankshaft.

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2010, 07:04:15 PM »
Looking good...........Hopefully, you won't starve crankshaft for oil taking the oil feed off the engine.....
Back in the 1990's when we set many sidecar records with the "good old Turbo/Kaw" we build a complete other lube system for the Turbo, using a electric pump and tank.......worked great for us.....................

PS. Keep a eye on the engine's wrist pins with the Turbo......builds a lot of heat in that area.......gave us some problems.......use a good oil................................................................................................

How much boost are you planning on?????

PS..PS.. Shurfo Pump...Electric....as used by NASCAR to circulate oil in the cars diff.

I was able to get the new engine installed and secured in the chassis over the weekend.  The turbo is mounted and plumbed, the S&S carb is mounted and the throttle cables and fuel lines connected.  Now I need to source a boost gauge and decide on which wastegate to use. 
This my first venture into boosted engine power and since I'm utilizing very old technology it's hard to find any good info the older parts I'm dealing with. The wastegate that's on the wrap around pipe in the pictures is not the one I want to use but it seems to be in very good condition.  I just need to do some more research on the internet and see if I can find out who manufactured the wastegate and if I can get some info on it.

bak189,
The "pipe", as Kawasaki calls it, was modified by ATP to deliver oil to the turbo as well as the main oil galley for the crank, head and trans.  Supposedly this modification allows enough oil to keep the turbo alive (for a while) and still provide sufficient oil to keep the rest of the engine together. I’ve known a couple of drag racers that used this setup in the 80’s and early 90’s with good success. 
I’m not going to push the engine too hard. I’m only planning on 8 to 12 pound of boost for the May meet.
I’m a real KISS kinda of racer and really don’t want to run a separate oil pump and deal with the plumbing, electrical and oil tank necessary to support this type of system. Since I’m only going to run this engine for the May El Mirage meet I’m hoping it will hold together for three or four passed, time will tell….
My rev limiter should arrive next week so I’m hoping to fire this puppy up in the next week or so and see if she’ll run.
A couple of photos below.
Buzz

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2010, 07:02:57 AM »
Buzz,
the bike looks great. I think its cool that you have so much vintage speed equipment to put to good use.
Post a video when you get it fired up.
-Scott
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline bak189

« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2010, 10:29:30 AM »
Looks great......with less than 10lbs of boost it should stay together for a long time.......You are using a
S&S Super-B Carb. w/Thunder-Jet....right......if and when you decide to increase the boost, you may suck the carb. dry if you use gravity feed to the carb.......Joker Machine makes a larger carb. bowl to solve this problem.......with the Thunder-Jet in place your main jet, to start with, should be 95.........
Regarding your oiling Yes, many KZ/Turbo's have run the system you are using......and it will work on the street and short runs at El Mirage.......Take it for a full bore run on the salt......and you may have a problem........Best of luck...it does my old heart good to see someone using the "old Turbo setups"

Question authority.....always

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2010, 11:53:34 AM »
Buzz,
the bike looks great. I think its cool that you have so much vintage speed equipment to put to good use.
Post a video when you get it fired up.
-Scott

I'll do the video Scott....My wife got me a Flip video recorder for Christmas.....I'm all set.

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2010, 12:10:54 PM »
Looks great......with less than 10lbs of boost it should stay together for a long time.......You are using a
S&S Super-B Carb. w/Thunder-Jet....right......if and when you decide to increase the boost, you may suck the carb. dry if you use gravity feed to the carb.......Joker Machine makes a larger carb. bowl to solve this problem.......with the Thunder-Jet in place your main jet, to start with, should be 95.........
Regarding your oiling Yes, many KZ/Turbo's have run the system you are using......and it will work on the street and short runs at El Mirage.......Take it for a full bore run on the salt......and you may have a problem........Best of luck...it does my old heart good to see someone using the "old Turbo setups"

bak189,

Yes, I've got the Super B on the bike right now and I'm using a fuel pump with about 3 lbs. of pressure to feed the carb. I've got a larger Super G and another turbo on the shelf in case I need it.
Thanks for the jetting advice.  I know it's going to be a bear trying to tune for ELMO in just two days.
I'm hoping that I get the bike finished in February.  If I do get the bike done in Feb.  then I'll be able to take it out to El Mirage in March for a little test session.

Buzz

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2010, 12:11:38 PM »
Buzz,
I am not a "bike guy" but that is a great looking bike. I usually make the first Elmo meet so probably see you there.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.