Author Topic: 4wd `liner drive shaft enclosure  (Read 2444 times)

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
4wd `liner drive shaft enclosure
« on: October 06, 2009, 11:53:54 AM »
My streamliner project is mid-engine (behind cockpit,forward of rear axle)and 4 wheel drive .In the area where the front drive shaft passes along the outside of the cockpit, I`m planning on having the shaft and all couplers inside .250 wall d.o.m. tube w/ smaller dia. tube inside mounted with  1/4 in. bolts. My thinking is the smaller tube will act like the liner in a  T/F drag car clutch can and spin . Thoughts/ Comments?  J.B.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 08:09:35 AM by floydjer »
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline floydjer

Re: 4wd `liner drive shaft enclosure
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 02:57:11 PM »
173 views and not even a like/dis-like??? :?
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 03:07:36 PM »
It sounds good to me. Lots of steel between the driver and the shaft has to be a good thing. I guess everybody else thinks the same. We only like to jump in with "You can't do that" comments.

Offline jl222

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 03:16:08 PM »

Yea that sounds good, you going to use a funny car type drive shaft? How do you disconnect and reconnect to ring and pinion assuming drive shaft is offset.

JL222

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 10:01:26 PM »
When you're on the right track you don't attract a lot of comment.

Pete

Offline Mr411Fan

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 10:14:44 PM »
Somewhere I have some pictures from the FIA meet where Tom Burkland broke the front driveshaft U-joint, and thier shield protected the driver very well.  The shaft runs right next to the drivers leg.  I don't remember the construction particulars, but it was tested.  The inner liner sounds like a good idea.
Herb

Offline floydjer

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 08:19:34 AM »
Thought for a moment I`d been "silenced".  The rear trans. mount is aluminum plate much like an engine mounting plate, with the left side extending outside of the frame rails. Alum. drive hubs connected by belts to off-set the power to the forward shaft and the same at the front to get back to the center line of the front dif. Splined shafts w/ couplers and no u-joints.  :cheers:J.B.