Author Topic: Couple questions about roll cage, frame and flywheel deflector  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Boostedballs

Couple questions about roll cage, frame and flywheel deflector
« on: October 02, 2009, 01:32:51 AM »
I have the 2009 rulebook but I need some clarification on a couple things.

I'm building a 1975 Monza for gas coupe C class, I think.

Here's my plan for the cage:
1 5/8 .120 DOM for the hoop that goes over my head and the one that goes across the top of the windshield.
1 5/8 .120 HREW for the rest of the roll cage inside the car.
2x2 .125 square tubing for the frame/cage under the car.

I want to use 6x6x.250" flanges to sandwich body sheet metal and connect the upper round tubing to the lower square tubing.

I don't have a lot of room under the car for a flywheel shield. So I am hoping to box over the bellhousing hump INSIDE the car with .250" plate. This will be welded to the cage and extend under the pedals and extend aft to the point where the factory hand brake lever was. Will this suffice?

Offline jimmy six

Re: Couple questions about roll cage, frame and flywheel deflector
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 11:30:06 AM »
If your running a stick shift you need a bell housing. A Lakewood or McCleod fits in place of a stock one so why not use it? Normally the 1/4" plate rule was for engine that one was not available. If you are using a small bellhousing like a Quartermaster I could see your point. I you have the book look up Steve Davies # and ask him........Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 01:11:26 PM »
As JD says use what's out there safety wise if you can. If you must build one the rule book says 360 degrees AND provide retention, so just sheilding the floor won't cut it IMO.

Good Luck
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Boostedballs

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 01:59:39 AM »
The Monza came with a special bellhousing, where the clutch fork is mounted way low because there just isn't room for it on the side.

Maybe I'll have to hack up the transmission tunnel to make the aftermarket stuff work??? :cry:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 06:50:35 PM »
The Monza came with a special bellhousing, where the clutch fork is mounted way low because there just isn't room for it on the side.

Maybe I'll have to hack up the transmission tunnel to make the aftermarket stuff work??? :cry:

Lakewood makes a belhousing that takes the lower slave cylinder (I have one) but I don't know if it clears the stock monza firewall.
We've cut the bottom of the belhousing and welded in a flat plate for ground clearance. This requires an aftermarket small dia. clutch assy though.

Good Luck.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 08:57:18 PM »
The Lakewood SFI bell housing with block plate and bolts that Fit the 1967 and prior Chevy II's (Nova's) should fit the Monza as well.

Charles

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 12:27:12 PM »
McCleod also makes a nice hyd throwout assem so you have no linkage or external mounted slave cylinders.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 01:40:30 PM »
McLeod makes a wonderful clutch assembly, too.  Have one myself.  But I'm not crazy about hydraulic throw-out bearings when mechanical linkage or even slave cylinders can be used.  The latter are sure a lot easier to repair on the spot. 

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records