Author Topic: Best way to Maxton from Route 81 south  (Read 4127 times)

Offline ray321

• New folks
Best way to Maxton from Route 81 south
« on: October 01, 2009, 10:23:44 PM »
 Looking for a differant way to get to Maxton from PA. We have taken I95 South before around Baltimore and DC its nuts with traffic and beltway blah blah blah. Looking at 81 south, not sure how far down to go or what the secondary roads are like any suggestion's.

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Best way to Maxton from Route 81 south
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 10:39:37 PM »
We take I-81 South to I-66 E, pick up 17 S to I-95 s.  Not a bad tow and a lot easier aggravation factor.

Ed Purinton

Offline ray321

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 12:27:40 PM »
  Is 17S traffic light free?

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 05:14:22 PM »
No.  Divided highway, not bad going until about 1/2 way down then the lights start, maybe dozen or fourteen total most concentrated closer to Fredericsburg.  We have been able to hit the right speed with traffic and catch the series of 8 or 9 close the Fredericsburg all green several times. Development is creeping North more every year bringing additional lights and traffic with it.  Still not a bad tow through pretty horse country.  Maintain the posted limits [mostly 50-55], it IS patrolled.  Usually inexpensive fuel prices in the middle around Opal. 

Suspect in the future it might get easier/be quicker to continue South further on I-81 and use I-64 as the crossover onto I-95 at Richmond.  No idea how busy the West side of Richmond gets or how the grades are for towing.  Current 350 set up is much better than the old 318 rig but still grade limited........

Ed

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 06:08:58 PM »
From I-81 to Richmond on I-64 is a hike. You might be better off stopping at the lights around Fredericksburg. That route is much shorter.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 11:43:50 PM »
Thanks Joe.  We will put any route change experiments in that direction on hold and stick with I-66/17 for a few seasons yet.

Ray 321.  Forgot to add earlier that it is well to observe the Left exit ramp posted speed from I-81S onto I-66E, there is a reduced elevation/off camber dip that can make things interesting when towing at speed.  The exit for 17N off I-95N seems to come up quick for me, have found it better to get in the right side lane a little early, it's the second ramp off that exit and tightens up quick, again have found the posted ramp speed plenty fast enough.....  If my crib sheet surfaces I'll post exit #'s and driving times between.

Ed

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 10:50:17 PM »
I-81 S exit 300 [left lane exit] onto I-66 E.

About 30 min to exit 28 for Rt 17 S.

About 1 hr on 17 S to I-95 S at Fredricksburg.

Northbound I-95 exit 133 [second ramp to right off exit] for Rt 17 N.

I-66 W exit 1B for I-81 N.

Our towing time averages, your times may vary.

Take care,

Ed

Offline ray321

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 11:12:33 AM »
 Thanks for the info will be trying that route and will also have GPS to make sure we dont miss an exit.

Offline stratman59

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 10:51:52 PM »
If your GPS is like mine it will keep trying too get back to I-95.

Robbie

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 06:07:28 AM »
Try using I95 to Newark, De and going south on 301. I live in Delaware at the Maryland border where 301 crosses over the line. Donna and I take 301 south past Annapolis. Rt 50 connects before you go over the bay bridge. Follow 50 until you reach 495 south. There is never any traffic on 301 until you get close to 495. You are on 495 for 19 miles, then go south on 95. Peak traffic thru DC is 6 to 8 am & 3 to 6 pm. We leave the house at 7 am and cross the new Woodrow Wilson bridge in DC by 9 am, total trip time of 8 hours. You can take the scenic route and follow 301 thru Maryland but there are a lot of lights going thru Waldorf, MD.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

LittleLiner

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 12:15:21 PM »
Depends if you are going down on Thursday or Friday.  The exodus from DC on Fridays starts early, sometimes traffic gets heavy (heavier) as early as 1 pm.  Thursday is a bit better but if you have my luck it also can be a pain.

Where in PA are you starting from?

Depending on where you start from . . . alternatives include Route 15 south past Gettysburg down through Maryland to Frederick, MD
or take 95 to Baltimore and then I-70 to Frederick.  Signs and ramps getting to 15 west out of Frederick can be a bit tricky.  Make sure your navigator is awake. 

From Frederick take Route 15 out to Point of Rocks crossing the Potomac and down through Leesburg, VA picking up 17 south at Warrenton, VA.   Some 2 lane stretches in Virginia but generally moves well and suitable for trailering all the way.

The crap shoot with doing DC / 95 / 495 is if traffic stops IT STOPS and you are stuck forever

If you go early on Friday you can get stuck with the morning rush which can last till 9:30 or later.

If you can get away on Thursday I'd suggest it and then you can be at the track all day Friday, get signed in, teched and help set up the course.

Other Warnings - It is now a crime to Text while driving in Maryland.  Also Maryland is now using photo radar in construction areas.  In Virginia - Radar Detectors are illegal.

Hopefully I'll see you there.  Haven't made it to a meet yet this year and am suffering major LSR withdrawl . . .
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:33:22 PM by LittleLiner »