Author Topic: The new rule for Head and neck restraints for 2010  (Read 18242 times)

Offline CGoodson

Re: The new rule for Head and neck restraints for 2010
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 06:47:38 PM »
I was Just making a point. I have a niece and nephew thou.  :mrgreen:

Corey Goodson
cgr138@gmail.com
hptt:www.facebook.com/corey.goodson
1000 Bockscar Lakester H/BFL Red Hat record 233.119
Currently Building #1177 G&S Roadster H/BFR

Offline hbennett

• New folks
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 11:45:44 AM »
First, use whatever HNR that is comfortable to you. I don't want anyone to think I am knocking any other device. There are some pretty good devices on the market. The Hybrid is pretty good. I just want to dispell some mis-information. If you have questions or need help, please feel free to contact me at hbennett@hansdevice.com.

1. Safety Solutions and Hutchins is basically the same company.
2. Yes, the HANS Device has a high collar, the Hybrid has a short collar. One of the reasons for the high collar is for every action, there is an opposite reaction. In a crash, as the head is rebounding back, you do not want the device forced up between your helmet and your head.
3. I'm not familiar with the DJ device but if it is not SFi certified, and it's not, it will depend on your rules if you can use it or not.
4. If you are comfortable with the fitment of the HANS Device, it should be OK. There are no reasons why the HANS Device cannot fit comfortably on most of you.
5. Pricing on the HANS Device and equivalent Safety Solutions products are pretty much the same. Make sure you are not comparing the Hybrid Rage to the HANS Professional series. The Hybrid Rage would be equivalent to the HANS Sport series in price.

Howard Bennett
HANS Performance

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 07:24:19 PM »
Howard,  good info.

Just as an FYI,,, I am a big guy  6ft tall  375.... even your size XL  was tight around my neck and uncomfortable.
As you pointed out.. the Hans has the high back for rebound protection and that is a good idea,, so since I did not fit in a Hans well, and the Safety Solutions was my choice, I am using and ISP containment seat with a high back head rest (for some bounce back protection)

I do like the Hans and think it is a great choice for most,,, as are many other HNR's...but if the driver is a bigger person or the cage is confining and or the Hans hands up when getting out, or you have an extreme laydown position, the Hans, may not be "as good a match " as some others.  They all have there limitations,

It is personal choice combined with fit to your particular application, price should not come into it, as each major HNR  mfg has multiple products and price points.

I think this is a great topic as it makes us all think about HNR's...

Charles

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline redrock_2003

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2009, 11:29:28 AM »
  Here is an excert from the article in the NHRA magazine that Glen mentioned.

http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com/tech-talk/an-update-on-racing-safety.html

One nice thing about the Safety Solutions Hybrid Pro is that it will not push you forward in the cockpit or hang up while you are trying to exit the car like some of the other devices. I tried one recently and now have one on order.

Just my two cents worth...

Dave

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2009, 02:23:55 PM »
We are all interested in safety. In LSR one size does not fit all. Therefor I would like to see the SCTA think about making the HANS mandatory for cars with seats that don't lay down more than 30 or 35 degrees. That would take care of the largest part of the vehicles. For seats that lay down more than that each one would have to show that it would or wouldn't work. I know that by the time Bonneville comes around there will have been much more R&D done.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline CGoodson

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2009, 03:15:25 PM »
I don't think that they are mandating HANS device just some sort of head and neck restraint. There are a couple of other head and neck restraints other than the HANS device. There is HUTCHINS and Safety Solutions makes a head and neck device. Explore your options.
Corey Goodson
cgr138@gmail.com
hptt:www.facebook.com/corey.goodson
1000 Bockscar Lakester H/BFL Red Hat record 233.119
Currently Building #1177 G&S Roadster H/BFR

DJ Safety

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2009, 02:30:27 PM »
Information on the SFI 38.1 systems.

The below list are the only SFI 38.1 restraints approved.

defNder Team Issue Device
HANS Performance Products - HANS Device (All Series)
Leatt Brace Moto-R Device
Safety Solutions R3 Device
Safety Solutions R3 Rage Device
Safety Solutions Hutchens Hybrid Pro Device
Safety Solutions Hutchens Hybrid/Hybrid Rage Device
Safety Solutions Hybrid X Device[/color]

ISAAC link system is not SFI 38.1 approved. 

I just called SFI to check on the ISAAC. They are not approved 38.1.

Joe

Offline Sam Strube

• New folks
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 07:35:21 PM »
The Isaac unit is not 38.1 certified because it does not release when you release the seat belt.

It would be interesting to know why SFI requires this.

Also, I would like the SCTA to look at this as an option.

Sam

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2010, 12:43:34 AM »
At the SDRC banquet last Saturday I talked to Rick White about restraints. Autopwer has a new one being tested right now and Rick says it it designed for more lay back driving. Autopowers love is LSR and the Whites were liner guys so I hope something good comes of it.......JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Bville701

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2010, 01:10:14 PM »
That's good news. Thanks for the update JD.    :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline hitz

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2010, 12:01:51 AM »
I bought a D-cell HNR a couple of years ago that did not have a SFI spec but thought that for me it was the best one. This will be the last year I can use it. In my humble opinion it will work well in any car that you sit or lay on your back in. I believe it is the best design for exiting the car quickly that I have seen. I'm a guest at the SCTA events so if I want to run, I'll have to follow the rules even if I don't think I would be comfortable with the choices available.

AutoPower made a custom restraining belt system for my lakester that was really nice (none of the standard ready made belts that I tried would fit correctly). I will check with Rick White when/if he comes up with a certified HNR and hope that it's a system that I can feel safe using.

Maybe the answer is to build another saltflat bike. I never was able to run the 1st one I built. Yeah I like that idea.

harv