Author Topic: Building a car for the mile  (Read 46064 times)

Offline Johntsi

Re: Building a car for the mile
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2009, 07:48:08 PM »
Good suggestions.

December sucks for working on a project. Been busy working on Santa stuff (3 little girls), however parts are stacking up.  Thing should move fast in Jan. 

On a side note, I am thinking of installing 3 nozzles for fire suppression in the engine bay. One up top at the firewall over the intake manifold/fuel injectors/valve cover, one over the exhaust manifold and the 3rd underneath pointing at the oil pan/downpipe.  Is that adequate or is there a better setup.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2009, 10:29:39 PM »
3 Nozzels  seems fine.  FireFox and other manufactures ,, suggest 2 or 3,,, so you should be OK,,,

Make sure the nozzelz are near the front, so agent sprays from front of engine bay towards firewall,, this was any air under hood while moving will not disrupt or limit the effectivness of the agent you are using.

What will you be using ?

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Johntsi

« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2009, 07:58:56 AM »
Right now I have one firefox system and 1 safecraft halon system.  Have not decided if I will use both or order another firefox system.  One system for under the hood and one for in the car of course.

Offline jreken

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2009, 09:31:56 AM »
So you don't go faster than your license allows check out    www.f-body.org/gears/   Plug in your tire size, ring gear ratio, transmission gearing  and this site will give your theoretical speed at rpm and top speed. USE YOUR TACH to indicate your speed! Good luck and be safe!

See you from the timing tower!!!

John

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2009, 07:18:33 PM »
John,
I have personally seen the driver of a car violate his licensing run. I was holding his timing slip (impound Monitor duty) and Keith snatched it away and as the culprit came into impound, and he was invited to take a ride in Keith's truck, I don't think they were evaluating his sound system.

There is plenty of time to make the ultimate run, I can't wait to see another Mitsubishi take a record at Maxton. Maybe pick up a few pointer's on the truck. No, I won't convert to a 4G63, I'm 4G64 all the way.
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2009, 10:19:08 PM »
Mike, did you get the clutch and motor sorted out yet ?
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline Johntsi

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2009, 07:10:55 PM »
Hey Mike, you get the truck sorted out? Look forward to seeing you out there again.

I too have seen Keith have to "speak to" people who broke the rules, one guy in particular who just posted for using the highway outside the gates as a test track ;).

Reichen, shouldn't you be working on the evo or as usual you gonna wait until the week before you are supposed to be here so we spend most of our time fixing stuff instead of racing?  :evil: :cheers:

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »
I think I have it all working. Set the record at Speedweek and broke the Transmission in the process, had to finish in 4th (all I had left) gear. Got that fixed and now I'm trying to find a coolant leak after I got everything back together. I think it's the T'stat Housing or the Hose. Too cold to work in the garage right now, especially with water....
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Johntsi

« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2009, 12:56:30 PM »
Breaking is ok as long as you set the record in the process, look forward to seeing you at maxton again this year.

Offline Johntsi

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2010, 12:18:04 PM »
With 3 months to go until Maxton I just scheduled several weeks off in the begining of March to make sure I wrap this up.  I will post some more progress pics later, seat is in, more safety equipment has been finished and installed as well.

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2010, 08:07:15 PM »
Well from the way you tell it at least 1 car(yours ) will be done so we should be good to go.
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline Johntsi

« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2010, 07:11:57 PM »
Well from the way you tell it at least 1 car(yours ) will be done so we should be good to go.

We both know you won't start working on the car until a week before you have to leave for Maxton and we will run into 12 problems at the track before we get to make the first god pass because of it ;).

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2010, 09:07:05 PM »
 he was invited to take a ride in Keith's truck, 

O that must have been a ride   :-o.I don't want to ride in the truck . Please don't make me get in the truck.
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline Johntsi

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2010, 10:16:20 AM »
After getting pissed and not being happy with some of the rewire, I ended up ordering a 12 circuit drag harness with switch box kit from painless, didn't hurt they are doing $100 rebate on them right now. I have some heavy time schedueled to finish the fuel system and wiring next week.  Should be getting much closer to being ready for the dyno soon.

On a side note, production supercharged says you have to have wipers.  That just means linkage and motor right?  I certainly don't want the arms and blades on at the speeds I hope to be seeing. Also about the radiator in that class when it says stock, it means stock location not a stock radiator right?

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2010, 02:59:41 PM »
You must have a radiator and in the stock location.  The way I understand it you may use an aftermarket replacement as long as you put it where the stock on was and in the same orientation.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com