Author Topic: Building a car for the mile  (Read 46061 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: Building a car for the mile
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 06:00:19 PM »
Ted and Bville,

Not sure what you guys are talking about ....as in "hoping" it was someones "last pass"

There are at least 2 meanings to "last pass"  you may be thinking about one meaning but some could read into it as the other meaning.. ???

I have seen both types of last passes and I would hope neither on any fellow racer...

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2009, 07:17:01 PM »
I hit quote and it didn't quote the whole statement.  My statement begins with no. :cheers:

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2009, 08:10:24 PM »
Thanks  Bville,,, these boards are informative and fun and provide a great service to all of us,,, but on occasion our text can be taken differently than we meant. Thanks for the clarification,,, I did not mean to act like the web police,,, lol

Charles
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2009, 09:52:42 PM »
On a lighter note, everywhere I ran, I was told to go all out on my first pass!  Oh wait a second, that might have something to do with running a Miata and a production Ninja 500!    :-P

By the way, I found a big heavy box on my porch tonight.  Looks like I have the new 'lowered' control arms for the Dakota in house now!  Happy Holidays!

LittleLiner

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2009, 12:10:29 PM »
Meanwhile - back to the original thread -

Johnsti 
Bring the car out, take rookie orientation on Friday, etc., etc.,  like was said somewhere above and dial it in with the Lic runs.  After seeing Mike's Evo run I can't wait to see your's . . . .

Offline Johntsi

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2009, 12:30:27 PM »
Hah, somewhere this thread broke and axle and headed hard right tward the wall.

I am not upset about making the passes, I know the reason for them and couldn't agree more.  I was just saying after being at the last 3 hot rod events with Mike, realistically I didn't think I would get enough runs in to go all out.  I will have the car well tested at the drag strip and dyno before I take it to Maxton in hopes to work out some of the bugs I know will pop up.  I assuredly don't hope to take the oil down record away ;).

I have been racing these cars for a long time and there is no way in hell I would want to try to go full bore the first time down the track no matter how many times I may have been down it.  My only worry is the factory speedo tops out at 145 and at those speeds at the drag strip has been prone not to be very accurate.  I just hope not to get kicked out for going to fast by Keith unintentionally.  I am not dumb enough to go 200 on a 150 pass but if I do 160 or so it won't be because I meant to.

On a side note more parts arrived in boxes this week, time to make some more progress on the sled.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 12:34:18 PM by Johntsi »

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2009, 12:39:43 PM »
John, on my first licensing pass(125-150) I had the tach marked at what I knew was 150, when I got going down the track I realized I didnt have to go 150, ended up 132+. Basically did the same on the next run,162 or so. You dont have to go to the top speed of that license, just in a range.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

McRat

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2009, 01:28:44 PM »
As far a speed control for licensing goes, be wary of using GPS if you have a lot of power on tap.  You can gain a lot of MPH before the GPS responds, and lose a bunch too.  It only takes a few seconds to change speed 25mph either way.  I end up having to focus on the GPS instead of the track and "chase" it.  RPM is the best way if you know what gear you're in, and have done your math.  (that might sound silly, but I run a six-speed automatic that "lies" on the gear indicator display).  GPS is a good secondary system.

Probably the most clever thing would be either finding a gear that won't go past tech speed, or using a rev limiter.   IMO, it's better to focus on what the car is doing than to be looking at gauges. 

Now if you are running in a class with an open record, you are going to want to get as close to your tech speed as is possible, without going over much.  Usually you are given a couple MPH leeway up top, but never count on it.  That way if you have a problem or the event gets cut short, you still set a record.  Every pass is potentially your last run of the event.  I use both RPM and GPS when I have to get close.

LittleLiner

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2009, 03:46:02 PM »
. . . .  My only worry is the factory speedo tops out at 145 and at those speeds at the drag strip has been prone not to be very accurate.  . . .

Suggestion - ignore speedo, use tach instead.   

Offline relaxedfit

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2009, 06:02:15 PM »
A humble attitude and a cold diet coke PROBABLY will get a 5 mph cushion from Keith. A wake-up call from Greg Neal (roadracer) will get you an early spot on the start line grid. Plan to be up about oh, 4:30 am.
Ken Presson
Having nothing to do in shutdown is our goal

Offline Johntsi

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2009, 06:03:31 PM »
I hope I bought some Brownie points from Keith by helping repaint the line down the track last April with Reichen.

Offline tedgram

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2009, 06:41:10 PM »
 On my car GPS lagged about 5 mph at the timing line. Noticed it couldn't keep up under acceleration.

As far a speed control for licensing goes, be wary of using GPS if you have a lot of power on tap.  You can gain a lot of MPH before the GPS responds, and lose a bunch too.  It only takes a few seconds to change speed 25mph either way.  I end up having to focus on the GPS instead of the track and "chase" it.  RPM is the best way if you know what gear you're in, and have done your math.  (that might sound silly, but I run a six-speed automatic that "lies" on the gear indicator display).  GPS is a good secondary system.

Probably the most clever thing would be either finding a gear that won't go past tech speed, or using a rev limiter.   IMO, it's better to focus on what the car is doing than to be looking at gauges.  

Now if you are running in a class with an open record, you are going to want to get as close to your tech speed as is possible, without going over much.  Usually you are given a couple MPH leeway up top, but never count on it.  That way if you have a problem or the event gets cut short, you still set a record.  Every pass is potentially your last run of the event.  I use both RPM and GPS when I have to get close.

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2009, 07:19:24 PM »
My GPS  was less than 1 mph off at the finish line.

In June I went .3 mph over my tech limit and Keith tore me a new one in my log book,,,, Just kidding,, all was good. Keith took his time and "advised me" on what upgrades I needed to get teched to the next level.

I did everything he adviced me on ....plus more,,, my trip back to tech in October was actually fun..I was teched to the next level no problem,,,  I learned allot over the last few years and hope all of that will pay off when I take the Stude to tech in April,,, Hope to pass the 200mph tech on the very first try.

Oh,, back to the topic of this post !!!   Man I can't wait to see this bad arse lil thing run the mile,,, it looks wicked fast.
Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Johntsi

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2009, 07:29:02 PM »
The biggest tec issue I am wrestling with are the roof rails. I really don't want them permanent and I cannot figure a good way to attach them so they are not yet that would make them work sideways at 200mph and not come off.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2009, 08:25:17 PM »
The biggest tec issue I am wrestling with are the roof rails. I really don't want them permanent and I cannot figure a good way to attach them so they are not yet that would make them work sideways at 200mph and not come off.

Firstly why wouldnt you want roof rails on all the time!!!

(they look sweet)

Secondly if you want to make a removable rail (just a suggestion on how I would do it)

Pull the headliner and drill 3 small holes where the rails will go, hard tack nuts to the bottom side of the roof. This will give tapped holes that you can bolt the rails on and off. When the rails are off you can use a machine screw with o ring and-or make color keyed caps.

THis is how I would do it.

Good luck

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)