Author Topic: Building a car for the mile  (Read 46065 times)

Offline jacksoni

Re: Building a car for the mile
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 09:06:15 AM »
My plan is to have this car there to start making licensing passes, but having to start at the bottom and knowing what the crowds are like at that event I am not sure I will get to make a full power pass.  We should both be there unless something happens to one of us and try to take the title back with one of the cars.

have you ever driven at other venues?  Some sanctions over look rookie runs or liscensing if you have a lot of experience. :?

There is a reason for licensing passes, especially at Maxton where the run up has a  bend and the shut down has a bend and the track can be rough at spots.  Making the short shut down takes getting on the brakes fast, chute out as needed. At 200+ things happen quickly. Though total hearsay to me (and therefore I may be wrong) a recent incident might have been contributed to by ignoring such recommendations> :cry:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline White Monster

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 10:05:43 AM »
Some sanctions over look rookie runs or licensing if you have a lot of experience. :?

The ECTA is not one of them. 
Racing at Maxton requires attendance at the Rookie Orientation, Drivers Meeting and successfully performing Licensing Runs.
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 10:15:46 AM »
Some sanctions over look rookie runs or licensing if you have a lot of experience. :?

The ECTA is not one of them. 
Racing at Maxton requires attendance at the Rookie Orientation, Drivers Meeting and successfully performing Licensing Runs.

Hey, it happens and maybe accidently overlooked because of who it was, but usually when you have never run at El Mirage regarless of prior experience you are supposed to be in the rookie line and make liscencing passes.  Instead they were promoted to the 200 mph line without ever raced there previously, and yes they have raced at Maxton. :-D

Offline White Monster

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 10:47:20 AM »
I would never recommend or condone anyone going 200 mph right off the trailer, at a track they have never been to before, regardless of who they are or where they have run previously.

Just call me a safety nut ...
 :-D
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 10:52:44 AM »
I'll say it once again -- Nancy and I attend the rookie orientation at Maxton once a year or so.  Safety is CHEAP!  We also drive the long course at Bonneville -- which is almost superfluous for us since we've usually spent the preceding few days chasing all over the salt, including down all of the courses a bunch of times, helping set up the place and, of course, spotting the porta-potties when they arrive.  It still is cheap to take that one run down the course to look for things worth noting at slow speeds -- so we know where they are at race speeds.

As for oil-downs -- I think that the honor of the all-time longest oil-down at Maxton goes to Bill Warner last year.  He was on a bike at the time.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline relaxedfit

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 12:25:59 PM »
Bill probably does have the record, but last year was marked by some real challengers for the title. John's idea for the spreader was a good one--perfect width for car tires. Maybe someone will donate a roll-a-tape and we can establish a true bike and car record.
Ken Presson
Having nothing to do in shutdown is our goal

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 12:36:36 PM »
I would never recommend or condone anyone going 200 mph right off the trailer, at a track they have never been to before, regardless of who they are or where they have run previously.

Just call me a safety nut ...
 :-D
I'm with you. What I heard was, make a 125 pass. Was clocked over 190!
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 12:45:45 PM »
I agree,

each track/course  etc  has it's own challenges.  I don't care what sanctioning body or license you hold,,, for your first ever (or in a long time) run down a course, I would at least want you to stay BELOW 150mph  and go long to see the entire course and shutdown areas.  After that it would be up the powers that be to allow you to run all out or limit your second pass to 175.

Just my opinion... but even if I was allowed to go full out on my first pass at a strange track,,, I would Not,,, I would take my own advice above.

FYI- Even though I know the course at Maxton, my first pass in April (after our winter layoff)  is a "shakedown" pass...Just to make sure... Better safe than sorry.

Charles

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 01:16:05 PM »
bv  at el mirage every new rider -driver has to run out of the rookie lane and run under 150 the first run--after that you can stay in the rookie lane and license up or move to another lane ---but you cant go to the 200 mph lane until you have ran 200 from one of the other 3 lanes ---thats the rule---ive always been told -thats what a j foyt would have to do if he shows up at el mirage ---i would like to know who you are talking about and why that was allowed to happen--------------------willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2009, 01:19:17 PM »
bv  at el mirage every new rider -driver has to run out of the rookie lane and run under 150 the first run--after that you can stay in the rookie lane and license up or move to another lane ---but you cant go to the 200 mph lane until you have ran 200 from one of the other 3 lanes ---thats the rule---ive always been told -thats what a j foyt would have to do if he shows up at el mirage ---i would like to know who you are talking about and why that was allowed to happen--------------------willie buchta
Not sure if you are talking about my post?  "Allowed to happen". As I understand it, person was told to make a 125 pass.  Was subsequently clocked over 190. Can't control the guy if won't do as told.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 01:50:15 PM »

Willie, I am well aware of the proceedures.  I have been racing there since 89 and am part of the 2 club since 90.  You can get in the 200 line if the race directors let's you, but if you have never driven there then you are supposed to go through the rookie line and make licsense passes.  In this case it didn't happen, I'm not going to name names, call Creel maybe he will tell you or someone else here might. :cheers: 

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2009, 01:57:57 PM »
I've been at Maxton when a new driver makes his licensing pass -- or maybe it was in a car that was safety-equipped for 135 mph -- and he ran a much higher speed.  It's amazing to see how fast Kieth Turk can get to long shutdown to "take the driver to the woodshed".
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2009, 02:12:50 PM »
im just a bottom feeder bike guy--it would do me no good to ask i dont know the password or the secret hand shake --i go to el mirage to race -see my friends-camp out-and take pics for my club the gear grinders         www.thegeargrinders.com       sheri and i host the web site  where there are over 1000 pics of bonneville and el mirage  ---if you dont see your pic there  e-mail it and we will post it or any thing else ( nonpolitical ) and we will post it ---  thanks-------  please have a safe holiday willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline tedgram

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2009, 02:31:59 PM »

Not sure if you are talking about my post?  "Allowed to happen". As I understand it, person was told to make a 125 pass.  Was subsequently clocked over 190. Can't control the guy if won't do as told.
[/quote]

I hope it was his last pass. A first pass should never be over 150 mph.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2009, 04:37:40 PM »

I hope it was his last pass. A first pass should never be over 150 mph.
[/quote]

no, I'm sure it wa my post that turned this thread sideways and I appologise for it.  Thought Turk might be a little forgiving if there was some prior Racing experience. :cheers: