Author Topic: New inertia switch rule  (Read 9555 times)

Offline RIFLEMAN

New inertia switch rule
« on: September 19, 2009, 08:19:07 PM »
 Hear that vehicles running an electric fuel pump are going to be required to fit an inertia switch to kill the pump in the event of a crash. What my question is:will the OEM 'tip over' switch found in most of the late model bikes pass as an inertia switch?
I'll keep my FREEDOM,myGUNS and my MONEY. YOU can keep the CHANGE!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: New inertia switch rule
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 08:26:29 PM »
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,5080.0.html

Dan Warner "recommended" the Ford switch, available at most wrecking yards for a couple bucks.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 08:44:23 PM »
Does this rule affect bike as well?

Scott

Offline willieworld

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 10:00:14 PM »
motorcycle streamliner 7.H.1    all electronic fuel systems shall have an inertial shutoff switch by jan 1 2010            willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 10:39:08 AM »
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 10:28:35 PM by panic »

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 12:28:14 PM »
Panic, old buddy, you just demonstrated how ALL rules should be written.

The SCTA rule book is full of massive holes that are interpreted after the fact, after you spent a ton of money and put it in impound, to be told "that's not what the rule means".

The inertia switch is so that this doesn't continue to get fuel once you bail off.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 12:53:16 PM »
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 10:28:10 PM by panic »

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 02:02:41 PM »
 :?
Ya know,all this hubris and still no answer to my original question:will the OEM tip over switch be viewed as complying with this rule? Its actually a very simple question only requiring a monosyllibic answer.

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 02:04:53 PM »
 :cheers:  Dam ed if I know!      (multisyllibic answer.}  Howdy ya'll    Crow.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 02:10:57 PM »
Rifleman:

I don't know for sure -- but I presume you're asking if there's a requirement for such a switch on (all) motorcycles.  The responses seem to have clarified the point for motorcycle streamliners - but not necessarily for sit-on bikes of any type.

And there have been responses that imply they are required on cars -- but it's not perfectly clear that that's the case.

I don't have a rulebook with me this morning so won't attempt to respond.  But -- just for the sake of the confusion among the others out there on the Forum -- you're asking about sit-on bikes, right?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 03:04:46 PM »
Rifleman:

I don't know for sure -- but I presume you're asking if there's a requirement for such a switch on (all) motorcycles.  The responses seem to have clarified the point for motorcycle streamliners - but not necessarily for sit-on bikes of any type.

And there have been responses that imply they are required on cars -- but it's not perfectly clear that that's the case.

I don't have a rulebook with me this morning so won't attempt to respond.  But -- just for the sake of the confusion among the others out there on the Forum -- you're asking about sit-on bikes, right?

Yessir,and I figure from what everybody is saying,the point is moot when the subject is sit -on bikes,BUT won't surprise me if eventually sit-ons and 'normal' cars are going to need to be fitted in the future. I'm a bit concerned about the Ford switch ,cause I got my Crown Vic airborne one time(don't ask) and the landing should have tripped it and didn't. Hate to think we'll end up with a piece of safety equipment that we THINK will work and find out that it doesn't always.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 03:05:56 PM »
i think the reason you arnt getting one is because---you asked the wrong question --i tried to explain it in a previous post---the only motorcycles that will be required to have a tip over switch in jan 2010 are streamliners and sidecar streamliners--that is the rule book now there will be a new one out before may 2010---i have a set on bike do i need a tipover switch?   NO  ---- but if your lanyard that kills the ignition does not cut off the fuel pump you will need another lanyard to do that also   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 03:11:30 PM »
i think the reason you arnt getting one is because---you asked the wrong question --i tried to explain it in a previous post---the only motorcycles that will be required to have a tip over switch in jan 2010 are streamliners and sidecar streamliners--that is the rule book now there will be a new one out before may 2010---i have a set on bike do i need a tipover switch?   NO  ---- but if your lanyard that kills the ignition does not cut off the fuel pump you will need another lanyard to do that also   willie buchta
Thanks Willie,I know about the lanyards and get it. And I get what the new standard currently covers,just askin' my "wrong" question because its not unfathonable that the switch ends up being required across the board down the line. my question really isn't wrong,its pre-emptive. :-D

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 03:13:03 PM »
:cheers:  Dam ed if I know!      (multisyllibic answer.}  Howdy ya'll    Crow.
Good one Crow! Howzit? You at EM in Oct? :cheers:

Offline willieworld

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 03:29:40 PM »
i dont think anyone here can see what will happen to the rules in 2010---usually the rules dont change to much unless there is a safety issue---the rules kind of evolve---if you had a lanyard on your ignition and on the fuel pump ( or one that took care of both )  i would think that a tip over switch would be unecessary--the reason its done on the streamliners is because you would be inside the bike and although you would need a ignition and fuel shutoff ---a lanyard wouldnt do you much good--  just some thoughts  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta