Author Topic: lsr history book new member  (Read 1862 times)

Offline jim reed

• reedspeedcafracers.com
lsr history book new member
« on: June 27, 2004, 04:27:00 PM »
I am a newly registered member.I have been a reader of the forum for several years.I have been a member of the ECTA since 1997 and hold or have held several medium to small displacement bike records.

The main purpose of my writing is to see if I can enlist any help from any members in finding a publisher for a book I have written.In 1997-98 I wrote a book called THE LAND SPEED RECORD 1898-1998. It is 93 thousand words long and I have about 2500 hours invested in it's writing to date. It was to be published by David Bull Publishing with whom I had a contract. In the end the book came out twice as long as agreed upon. I refused to reduce it's size so we parted ways. Mr. Bull liked the book and felt it was well written but too hard to sell at it's size.

I also feel that pehaps the decision not to publish (although I have no proof)may have been influenced by proof definite I uncovered that the first LSR was set in America by an American in an American car and not in France as all LSR history indicates. The American event took place one month before the French event. It was an international field of 10 racers versus the French event on Dec. 18, 1898 with only four all French entries. As such, essentially a National competition. As far as I can determine the French invited none but the French to their event. Interestingly the organizer of the French event was at the American event. He was also an original organizer of the Automobile Club of France which became the "self ordained" center of motorsport competition organization as a result of their "world land speed record". Anyone interested please contact my email. Regards, Jim Reed

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
Re: lsr history book new member
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 03:38:00 AM »
Contact Mike Stanton at the Speed Record Club.  His email is: chairman@speedrecordclub.com
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!