Author Topic: Skip’s “Thing” – Blown Fuel Roadster  (Read 193880 times)

Offline krusty

Re: Skip’s “Thing” – Blown Fuel Roadster
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2010, 05:35:56 PM »
Pretty hardcore to pass on the GNRS which was excellent and had one building with nothing but historic race cars, 1/3 of which were LSR. However, I can understand the attraction of Skip's build. I shoulda called him up and visited Friday right after my plane got in. Went to the Petersen and then Old Crow (Bobby Green's) Speed Shop instead.    vic

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2010, 03:31:20 AM »
Hi Sparky,

Thanks for the kind words concerning our visit. However, I too was really thrilled to have you visit my home shop. It was really enjoyable and educational, and yes the 5 hours went by quickly. I really like your approach to go-fast thinking and how it applies to what we are trying to accomplish.

Nonetheless, I’d say you’re a bit modest about your insights as the learning was definitely mutual. I’m a good student and will be applying what I learned. 
Now it’s my turn to find my way over to the Rats Nest for a little espionage of my own, and maybe another lunch.

Skip
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2010, 07:56:28 AM »
Looking forward to it for sure!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline gotzy

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2010, 09:18:54 AM »
Hi Skip,

I'm bit of a late comer to your build thread but I have to say you’re doing some very impressive fab work there.  As another individual with a long term salt dream, seeing your roadster coming together certainly highlights the thought processes required very well, great inspiration.

Being from the circle track world I assume you considered using the truck style trailing arms?  If so, what was the reason you didn't go this route, packaging or performance?  I only ask this as it's what I've had in my head to use on my roadster.

Very much looking forward to your next updates.

Cheers

Steve

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2010, 03:54:44 AM »
Hi Steve,

Sorry for the late reply, had an illness in the family that took me off line the past 5 months but I’m back at it.

I’m from the Midget/Sprint Car side of things where we used torsion bars with hairpins or 3 or 4-bars and originally thought I might go that way. However I too was lured by the simplicity of truck arms and I’m convinced they are a very effective and desirable set-up for this form of racing.

I actually mocked the car up with truck arms made from wood (no jokes) and worked really hard to pull it off. What defeated the concept is my driving position is extremely offset to the left so I can have;
1) Sit really low in the seat for aero
2) Have my large-ness clear the driveline

I’m not unhappy with the parallel link rear suspension I ended up with as it’s fairly effective; however if I was to build a center steer car I’d not hesitate to use truck arms.
Skip's Garage

Offline gotzy

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2010, 06:25:09 AM »
No problem Skip, we all appreciate family are more important than toys, I hope everything turned out ok.

Very interesting comments, the ideal setup in my head is the centre driver position and truck arms along with an extended wheelbase hidden suspension set-up like the BMR Coupe & Roadsters.  My mate from Fullerton is in charge of doing a reccy at El Mirage on the centre seating set-ups as I'm in the UK., hopefully I'll make it to Speedweek again in 2012.

I think the use of wood for mocking up designs is a great idea as is the table, got a feeling I'll be borrowing those ideas, not for a while though as only early in the planning stages.  I have acquired a Doug Nash 5 speed and a set of 2.48's though LOL

Keep up the good work and look forward to watching it progress.

Regards

Steve

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2011, 03:01:17 AM »
It’s been over several months since my last update so here’s a progress report. During this time I did take some time out to look for gainful employment, call it an extended vacation that hasn’t ended. In the meantime I did get a few things accomplished that didn’t require serious (all relative) financial expenditures.

I finished fabrication on the rear axle. It’s a GM 7.5” and I picked up a 2.41 & 2.56 & 2.73 gear sets to cover whatever engine combo I settle on. The axle housing is completely welded, straightened and ready to bolt in. The rear wheels are done and when I’m employed I’ll have the axles built.

I’m also angling to run a turbo so I also built a 13-gallon water/ice intercooler tank that will set directly behind the engine cooling water tank on the right side of the car.
Skip's Garage

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2011, 03:03:40 AM »
I then set out to finish the front half of the body. I first finalized the placement of the body on the chassis and started building the firewall out of .090 aluminum. I made a forming die from 2x6 wood in the shape of the tonneau cover and then made a clamping die. I sandwiched the aluminum between the two and formed of the firewall to match the underside of the tonneau cover. Also, I left the lip a bit longer which give me some area to attach Dzus tabs for mounting the hood. While it sounds simple this was the most difficult part to make on the whole car. It’s my fault because I built an overly complicated car.
Skip's Garage

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2011, 03:05:43 AM »
Next, I set out to set the grill shell height. This also revealed how much I needed to chop it, which turned out to be 3 inches. I used a steel Vintique, it’s a bit thin and was difficult to weld but it will work. I finished it off by making an aluminum grill shell insert.
Skip's Garage

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2011, 03:11:17 AM »
I next made the engine compartment side panels out of .063 aluminum and put a 90-degree lip on the top to add some side stiffness.
Skip's Garage

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2011, 03:13:55 AM »
Then I tried to bend up a one-piece hood, to which I guess I’m not talented enough accomplish. It ended up becoming a piece of garage art.

So I bought some more material and the Ferguson’s did on their roadster I built the hood in 2 pieces with a seam down the middle. Good enough for them, good enough for me.

Also settled my front axle dilemma. I’ve had 2 axles mocked up in the car. Didn’t care for either and they also were made with at least 1-degree positive camber. This isn’t a street car and I wanted a straight up axle with 0 degrees camber. After much looking found this older 3-inch drop Magnum axle that was on display at a local hot rod shop. It wasn’t desired and didn’t sell because it wasn’t a 4-inch drop. When I measured it I found it to be straight up, so it was a lot older than the current lot of axles. It fits the car really well, was made of weldable material, which left me with lots of room to mount the inboard coilovers. While I was at it I sprung for a P&J hairpin setup (in place of the hairpins I built) and reworked the mounts.
Skip's Garage

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2011, 03:15:17 AM »
I also reworked some ball bearing Chevy front hubs, which I got from Sparky when I visited with him last summer. Had them trued (they needed it) new studs installed and adapted the bearings to Ford spindles.

I’m now working on the engine cooling water tank, which will hold a radiator ala Dynoroom’s Modified Roadster.  I’ll post pictures when it’s completed.
Skip's Garage

Offline gotzy

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2011, 04:31:56 AM »
Cool Updates Skip and good score on the front axle.

So what year is your rear axle and is it one of the torsen limited slips I've read about on here?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 05:09:50 AM by gotzy »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2011, 05:07:49 AM »
Skip, Thanks for posting about the straight up frt axle---I was goingto be embarassed to have to call about the details as the CRS had me in its grip once again---imagine that  :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2011, 01:09:07 PM »
Skip,
Your car is making real progress!!! Excellent fabrication and I can't wait to see it on the Salt, think it will be this year??

Regarding the 1 degree positive camber in most after market axles, I think that they do this so when they are loaded the axle will deflect to about straight up. Since you are using a tube axle you can set the camber with a torch and a wet rag if you need to. Works pretty well and has no affect on the axle. You want to do it with out a load on it.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.