Author Topic: Skip’s “Thing” – Blown Fuel Roadster  (Read 193899 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Skip’s “Thing” – Blown Fuel Roadster
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 08:43:33 AM »
Skip,  would love to go to lunch---also on a lakester the drums also don't pretrude into the slip stream
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Bville701

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2009, 01:09:45 PM »
Skip,

Is that your driver in the roll cage pictures?  :roll:  Great looking cage. Your doing a top notch job! Can't wait to see the rest!  :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2009, 03:37:27 AM »
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the compliments.

Likewise, I followed along on your build and thought you did an exceptional job. I’ve been know to do a little aluminum work myself and really appreciate how much work went into forming the nose and hood on yours, and how it turned out.

As for the auxiliary pilot, yea, I’m fitting her up. Promised her she could get a ride along, if she marched in a parade (don’t think I’ll have to keep my end of the bargain).

She is good company and keeps my friends girlfriends/wives occupied while I BS and never complains when I’m talking too much “racing.”

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2009, 03:35:36 AM »
It's time for the motor mounts!

Back about 3 years ago I started eyeing a range of Fuel/Gas classes and was drawn to different large and smaller displacement classes. I thought how hard could this be to pick an engine combination? 

Umm, seems harder than expected. So, I’ve decided to install both big block and small block mounts. The big blocks are in and I’ll get the small blocks’ in next week. 
Skip's Garage

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2009, 03:38:12 AM »
Lateral Locaters

Since I’m using motor plates I thought lateral locators would help keep the motor anchored in the chassis and limit forward/rearward movement.

I’ve probably made this car a bit more complicated than necessary, so I tried to simplify this project. I looked around at what others were doing and thought a nifty place to mount them would be the existing motor mount locations, easy enough.

So I cut two plates in the shape of motor mounts, bought two threaded tubing adapters and some additional commercial mounting brackets. Nice and easy.
Skip's Garage

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2009, 03:41:47 AM »
Transmission Mount

Keeping to my previous threat to simplify, I built this transmission mount using an existing Art Morrison trans mount I had laying around. I fab up the side pieces and welded them to the Morrison mount. It’s a bit overbuilt but wasn’t too difficult to cobble together.   
Skip's Garage

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2009, 03:55:16 AM »
Steering Rack & Shafts
On my street driven roadster I’ve got a Monza steering box its fun to drive, but a task to drive really fast.  So for the racecar I’m looking for something that is a bit more precise. I’ve been intrigued by the new Unisteer Cross Steer rack & pinion and talked to some who’ve made the change over. They universally praise them so I’m trying one. I’m really impressed with the quality and workmanship of this unit and I’m confident it will work well. With the motor mounts in I was able to finish the steering shafts and couplers. The couplers are weld on and there’s no chance of shaft slippage. 
Skip's Garage

Offline krusty

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2009, 07:17:26 AM »
Skip - I think you'll be pleased with the Maval r&p; I used one on our D/GRMR build and am very happy with it. Nice build!    vic

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2009, 10:47:11 AM »
Skip how high is your build table???
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2009, 12:44:04 PM »
Hi Sparky,

Its 18 inches high and as a 6 footer it works well for me. I’ve also got a nice older office chair that I use to work from and can tig/mig from.

Skip
Skip's Garage

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2010, 10:59:24 AM »
Well this past Saturday,  I made a very fortunate choice,  I went to vist Skip and his "thing" instead of the car show in Pomona---cost me a lots less money got a free coke and lunch---and most importantly learned a BUNCH!!!!!!!!!!

Skip has been a roundy round racer for a number of years who has built many cars and it shows in the quality of workmanship on "Skip's Thing".

Those of us who have not been around different types of racing our entire lives  just have to work so hard to play catch up as we try to learn all the various things that influnce our "Straight Line Cars"--the more I learn the dumber I get--thanks Skip for the lunch, but most importantly for the insights and education --- from a very delightful 5 hours spent with you.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2010, 02:55:37 PM »
Sparky, did ya apply any of that LSR espionage stuff at Skip's that you learned from Lee?  :evil:
Enjoying your BFR Build Skip, keep up the good work  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2010, 08:03:12 PM »
U betchum Red Ryder  :-D

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
Smart lad, Little Beaver!   :roll:

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2010, 10:14:50 AM »
LOL   :-D  :cheers: