Author Topic: Skip’s “Thing” – Blown Fuel Roadster  (Read 194540 times)

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
Re: Skip’s “Thing” – Blown Fuel Roadster
« Reply #195 on: July 07, 2012, 12:41:08 AM »
Hi DND,
The class is F/BFR
The record is held by Walter L. Medlin - Bruce Linsmeyer @220.831
Color – JADRR (just another darn red roadster)

Hi Tom,
The basic scoop is 0.063” 3003 - H14
The transition is the same material, just annealed so I could form it easier.
The body is also 0.063” 3003 - H14
The firewall is 0.100” 6061 - T6
I’m using TIG on the aluminum.

Thanks for the complements, but I’m a rank amateur when welding aluminum (I’ve got friends that are miracle workers with aluminum; now they’ve got talent).  The good news is the more you work with and weld aluminum the more you learn and your technique improves with experience. I could use a better (more powerful) welder, but it would be wasted on me until I improve my technique.

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #196 on: July 07, 2012, 10:06:44 AM »
Skip, I presume you are using 1100 filler rod to tig weld your .063 together. I have had trouble with cracking and prefer to gas weld this thckness. What do you have for a welder? Settings? My Lincoln 185 has been a magic unit but the thinner sheet aluminum doesn`t give the results I want.... :x

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #197 on: July 08, 2012, 12:38:40 PM »
I use a variety of 303 & 6061and often weld them to each other. For the scoop I used 1100 on the basic scoop and 4043 where I need strength. I’ve had really good results with the 4043 and I’ll often preheat the item with a MAP Gas torch before welding.
I’m currently running an air-cooled Square Wave Tig 175 from Lincoln, which has given me spotless performance. I really do love this welder as its matched to my skill sets, however I do sometimes run out of capacity welding aluminum and could use a more powerful welder. Lately its come down to “racecar parts” vs welder capacity, racecar wins. With the 175 I’ve successfully butt welded 0.040” 3003 using 1/16” 2% tungsten & 1100 rod. It took exceptionally tight gaps, lots of cleaning, sharp tungsten. I’ve tried pure tungsten in this machine but I think the square wave likes the 2% better.
Some good news, I’ve closed another chapter by selling my HAMB Dragster. Helped the new owner load it up yesterday and its on the way to Canada. Back to spending money on this racecar!       
Skip's Garage

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #198 on: July 08, 2012, 03:46:47 PM »
Skip, I think you'll really like ceriated tungsten If you like the 2%. It holds the point better and is designed for the job. 2% is actually designed for welding steel. The ceriated is designed for AC and DC welding. It's a more modern solution.

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #199 on: July 08, 2012, 07:21:50 PM »
Whoooeee " here comes brown Santa"   in July---doesn't get any better than that!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #200 on: July 08, 2012, 08:18:59 PM »
Skip, I assumed ( and we all know how ass-u-me breaks down ) when I first read your post that you were referring to 2% thoriated tungsten. I now realize that you may have been referring to 2% ceriated. You may also want to try lanthiated as well. Even with my old technology machines I've moved toward the ceriated as I use up the old tungsten stock.

Pete

Offline Tman

« Reply #201 on: July 08, 2012, 09:43:35 PM »
Congrats on selling the HAMB Dragster Skip!

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #202 on: July 09, 2012, 12:06:31 AM »
Skip---I`m using exactly what you use. I`ll have to practise more on .063 and thinner material.... :-D :-P

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #203 on: July 09, 2012, 03:19:44 AM »
Sparky,
Yep, I’m on a first name basis with the UPS driver. He also keeps me updated on what the other gearheads are doing on his route. 

Peter,
You’re right, I’m using 2% thoriated tungsten, however I’m anxious to try 2% ceriated. Truth is, the info/help you get here is priceless.

Tman,
Thanks; it’s a mixed bag of emotions. I needed to remove this reminder to further the healing. It also helps to have the cash to buy shiny new things for the roadster.

Kiwi Paul,
I’m actually using 3/32” 2% thoriated on 0.063” but will grab some ceriated this week and try it.
Here is a pic of some 0.040” I hammered together. The nose is 3 pieces and the tail is 4 pieces.
Skip's Garage

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #204 on: July 10, 2012, 02:17:26 AM »
Nice Work, Skip!! I could make those pieces in 18 or 20 Ga. Cold Rolled all day, but I falter on Aluminum a bit...I need more practice, obviously.....Looking forward to seeing the Roadster completed....

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #205 on: November 18, 2012, 12:00:14 AM »
Well, I figured it was time for some new pictures.
Skip's Garage

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #206 on: November 18, 2012, 12:00:57 AM »
One more
Skip's Garage

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: November 18, 2012, 09:02:52 AM »
Skip, Good to see your progress--- thinking back on our visit and following your build is one of the main things that got me going on pulling out my TURBO stuff I had been accumulating for years.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #208 on: November 18, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
Looking good Skip, thanks for the updated photos

Offline DND

« Reply #209 on: November 19, 2012, 05:10:43 AM »
Hi Skip

Looking very nice, Mike is not going to take too kindly to you mounting his oil tank laying down !!

Don