Author Topic: Skip’s “Thing” – Blown Fuel Roadster  (Read 193892 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Skip’s “Thing” – Blown Fuel Roadster
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2011, 07:56:23 AM »
Doug Odom, likes 5-6 degrees my old RAT had 15 my new will have 5 deg.  I figure scrub radius from the point the KP would intersect the track if it were extended through the wheel-tire in relation to the centerline of the tire contact patch  if it is ZERO there is virtually no change as one turns the steering wheel.  I am sure there are correct engineering terms  :? but I am not familiar with them. :cry:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 08:41:51 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2011, 03:36:01 AM »
Hi Rob – There are some pics of the seat on post #4, but I’ll shoot some detailed pics this weekend for you.

Gotzy – I’ll try to comment on combining the camber and KPI. I could be wrong but I don’t see any advantage to combining the two. In LSR I think less KPI is desirable, to a degree, because it minimizes weight transfer, or chassis jacking from steering input. In circle dirt track racing we increased KPI and went faster on moderately banked, wet tracks because we could influence outside tire bite/traction with a steering input. Watch a youtube sprint car in car video and watch the drive work the wheel in a corner to tune the tire bite.

Ideal caster? Hmmm, some like tall girls, others short girls, It’s what works for you. Nonetheless, I have a theory, I think extreme caster exacerbates the problem on a straight axle car and gives a similar effect to the sprint car. I currently have my car set at 12 degrees (max) with adjustability to walk it down to 7 degrees. I’m with SPARKY and Odem, and think less caster will be better. I’ve left adjustability so I don’t have to cut things off if I’m wrong.

I might be delusional, but I swear I recall some GM car with POSITIVE, or zero caster from the 70”s.   

As for the 2jz, I’m contemplating running an R154a trans, what are your thoughts?

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline gotzy

« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2011, 11:30:01 AM »

Thanks for your thoughts Skip, your dirt track reference certainly gives me an additional avenue for research so I can gather a clearer understanding.  I tend to agree on the extreme caster, what do Sparky and Odem run?

We've yet to settle on a transmission choice and won’t make a final decision until the motor is built and we know its power band.  I have a Doug Nash 5 speed that we'd like to use but I've yet to find gear sets available for them as I'd ideally want to tighten up the gear spread (3.270 - 2.140 - 1.570 - 1.230 - 1.000) or use it as a 4 speed.   

I've considered the R154 as well and feel that the gear spread (3.250 - 1.955 - 1.310 - 1.000 - 0.753) is a little wide like the Nash even if using it as a 4 speed, mainly because of the 4th to 5th spread.

The V161 6 speed has also been considered (3.727 - 2.246 - 1.541 - 1.205 - 1.000 - 0.818) but using it as a 5 speed from 2nd to 6th but I'm unsure of the strength of the 5th and 6th gears.  These are very expensive and we'd have to use Supra clutches which go for stupid money which is why we'd like to use the Doug Nash with a more common clutch.  Also cheaper for steel bell housing but custom flywheel would probably be needed and not sure of the cost of that. 

Push off speed is another factor which I've yet to fully take into consideration and I've yet to talk to anyone with experience on this, until I really know power bands I can't really think about it properly.  Wouldn't like to be pushing much above 50 mph though but I'm not sure of the common speeds.

Being in the UK also mean spares availability is also a major consideration for us, no chance of supra spares on the salt but Doug Nash parts and Chevy clutches my be around to borrow on a bad day.   Conversion parts such as the adapter plate, flywheel and starter will also need to be considered but will become clearer when parts are collected.   

Considering you already have your Tex Trans with a 0.940 overdrive, I'd be running that for sure as this car will certainly grow and a flexible transmission would be welcomed i'd imagine.  What's the gear spread on your Trans and did you buy it new or used?

With a 0.940 top along with 28" tyres and 2.50:1 rear you have the potential of a very fast roadster... especially now you've got that big blower out of the air...

Going back to your Tex, is it a 4 or 5 speed? Do they even do 5 speeds?

What do you reckon now?

Another thing I've been meaning to ask you, you've offset your diffs centre section by 6", is there any danger of getting a rear steer effect form different length drive shafts or is the overall width too narrow?  I can't seem to find what or where I read something like this but I do think it was with a spool, does your circle track experience offer anything to this or dispel it?

Cheers

Steve

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2011, 02:33:29 PM »
The torque acting through the driveshaft/ring gear relation ship is trying to lift the pass side tire. This MAY help that problem by placing more weight on that side---mine was in the center but I biased the weigh to the passside by 135# by weight and chassis jacking.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2011, 03:20:42 AM »
Hi Rob,

Here are the promised seat pics.

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2011, 03:27:27 AM »
2nd set

Kirkey has aluminum mounts for this seat, but that I thought i could improve on that. The plan was to securely anchor the seat with a steel mount. These are from 1020 flat bar and plate.

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage

Offline Rob

« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2011, 06:00:38 AM »
G'day Skip,

Thanks for taking the time to take and share the seat mount pics. I had been told to be sure I mounted it solidly and they certainly qualify.

I too will be bracing the back to the cage when the time comes.

Cheers,
Rob

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2011, 06:34:44 PM »
Looking good Skip!

The Kirkey mounts are pretty cheesy. Yours look first class!

Hope to see this some day!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2011, 12:42:01 AM »
Hi Steve,

I’m setting the car up to initially start with 10 degrees caster.

As for the trans, I’m looking at a tried and true, off the shelf combo, and not something that I have to custom engineer. There are several flywheel/clutch combinations that have shown well in drifting and are stocked by several outfits. The ultimate would be a Tilton 3 disc. As for the trans, I’m thinking an R154 would handle this torque curve. Although it’s a 5 speed I’d stick to using 4th gear as the high gear and use the overdrive for beer runs.

Skip
Skip's Garage

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2011, 12:44:05 AM »
Also made progress on the radiator in a tank. The top is removable for maintenance. Now on to finishing the tank mounts.

In the car, It’s a big tank.

Skip
Skip's Garage

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2011, 05:21:34 AM »
Looks good Skip!

What is that 'tray' on the top for?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 07:53:45 AM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2011, 08:38:59 PM »
Hi Buddy,

You might be referring to the angle material that stands off from inside the tank. If so, It’s the mounting fixture that the radiator bolts to and holds the radiator upright and in position within the tank. And it also holds the water spray bar that pushes water over the top of the radiator.

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2011, 08:43:26 PM »
Yep, that's what I was referring too. Thanks!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2011, 12:18:15 AM »
 :? I thought that it was for the Beer can rack in side of the intercooler with ice in it  :cheers:

Offline DSR88

« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2011, 12:02:59 PM »
High Skip,
Just read thru your build very nice. When are you tring to have the car done ? Even though I run in comp coup I grew up going to the lake bed and bonneville with my dad and Bob Lee's 29 roaster so roaster have always be deep in my blood.
Who did you buy your body from? And if you don't mind about how much was it? Keep posting pic's looking forward to seeing it done.
                                         Donnie Stringfellow