Author Topic: Battery disconnect Location  (Read 4510 times)

Offline ray321

• New folks
Battery disconnect Location
« on: September 17, 2009, 12:19:59 AM »
What is the preferred location for the battery disconnect. Is there any locations off limits?

Offline MiltonP

Re: Battery disconnect Location
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:35:33 AM »
I believe the rear of the vehicle is most prefered with a nice graphic pointing at it if it isn't obvious.  I plan on moving the battery back in the bed in the dakota but do to the tailgate and light design I havent figured it out yet.  There is a pull style I saw at the Gassers at the Grove event last week that looked better for my install than the turn type.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 10:14:07 AM »
There are several types available and some have duel controls so the driver and safety crew can shut the systems down. It should be located so the safety crew can locate it and well marked like Milton said. There are several shops like Summet, or Jegs that carry them.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline t russell

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 08:33:05 PM »
I have mine under the tail gate.Safety/cost/ease.
terry

Offline ND RAM

• New folks
  • Just a farm truck...
    • FQuick
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 03:47:33 AM »
Would it be allowed to run the switch directly on top of one of the back 'posts' in the bedrail?  I've considered this with my truck since I wouldn't have to drill a hole in the bed.  I can't see how it would really be an aerodynamic advantage since there's still a switch to interrupt airflow.  Any thoughts?
Current Project; (ECTA C/PP) 1984 Dodge Ram D150 318, A727A, 2.94 gear.

Long Term Project; "Petty Ram" hopefully 200+mph at the Monster Mile.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 09:18:53 AM »
I'm not a tech inspector so won't comment specifically on "allowed".

Remember, safety rules/regulations are minimums.  In many cases it doesn't take that much more $$ or effort to make things much better for everyone.

Some of the general thinking about the rear location is access for outsiders and ability of the control to continue to function in the event of any incident.  Rare chance for a vehicle to come to rest in a vertical position either nose or tail up, much more likely horizontal, right side up, on one side or the other, or upside down.

Consider this along with the good advice and sources to check out from Milton, Glen, Terry, and Robbie and you should come up with a good location choice.

Hope to see you running safe, having fun, and going fast in April.

Ed

Offline stratman59

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 05:22:40 PM »
ND,

Give us a little more details on your build.

Are you planning on driving the truck or race only?
Are you mounting the fuel cell and battery in the bed?

If you mount the battery in the bed you could mount the switch between the frame rails and use a push rod out the bumper to work the switch.

Hope this helps.
Robbie

Offline ND RAM

• New folks
  • Just a farm truck...
    • FQuick
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 05:22:33 AM »
It's gonna be a street stirp truck at least for a while so no I'm not gonna relocate everything just yet.  I'd probably mount my switch on the front stake post up next to the cab on the drivers side for the time being since that area would be the most conveinent and cheapest (less cable) for now.  If I do relocate the battery then I might also relocate the switch.  I'm not planning on switching to a fuel cell any time soon, my stock tank is fine for now.
Current Project; (ECTA C/PP) 1984 Dodge Ram D150 318, A727A, 2.94 gear.

Long Term Project; "Petty Ram" hopefully 200+mph at the Monster Mile.

Offline stratman59

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 08:26:13 AM »
ND,

The rule book don't specify a location, but be sure and label the switch very well.
Its there so the safety crew can kill the power in case something goes wrong.

Robbie

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 09:26:47 AM »
The important thing is to put it some where that they can get at it whether it is on its side or upside down or right side up and label well.  Brian