Author Topic: Question on Cragar Steel Wheels for my Dakota  (Read 3558 times)

Offline MiltonP

Question on Cragar Steel Wheels for my Dakota
« on: September 16, 2009, 03:52:24 PM »
I order 5 Cragar Soft 8 17" steel wheels for the Dakota since I couldn't find VR rated tires near my current tire height for 15" or 16" rims.  Suckers weigh 37 pounds but they meet the ECTA rules I believe.  They are only +13mm offset.  The Dakota is supposed to have 15-25 by the book, but I have seen posts about using these on Dakotas. 

Has anyone used the steel Cragars for LSR?   I am trying to pick a tire under 29" as I am not looking forward to getting them welded if I don't.  Haven't picked up lug nuts yet but am planning on open conicals.  Should I also look to upgrade the studs?

Lastly, should I worry about the 38 lb weight and probable 32 lbs for a total of 70 lbs being tough on the bearings or other suspension components?  I am planning on doing a 2/4 drop as soon as I can get the tires on to check fit.  Thanks.

The end goal is to run for both the 130 and 150 clubs at World of Speed which allows alloys but does require matching speed ratings ie... VR and up for 150 club.  I can run alloys there to get the weight savings back but for running/testing at Maxton I ordered the steels.  I plan to run T/O unless I manage to get it competitive!   :cheers:

Offline t russell

Re: Question on Cragar Steel Wheels for my Dakota
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 05:15:30 PM »
Did you check speedway for rims?They have a good selection.
terry

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 09:01:48 PM »
Trouble is the 6x4.5 bolt pattern.  We'll see how these workout.  They are fairly inexpensive compared to swapping out hub bolt patterns.  I was wondering if folks using moon discs mount the balance weights on the other side of the wheel or use something other than the weights that clip on the edge?  Just curious as I am not sure they are in the budget or if I would switch to alloys anyways for Bonneville down the road.  Thanks folks.

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 09:38:29 AM »
Waiting for a hopefully early Fedex delivery before heading south so I can bring a wheel with me to run it by tech and maybe Charles for a few thoughts on moondisc install possibilities.  Found a V rated tire size that comes in at 28" so hopefully I am in business without any major welding.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 03:07:42 PM »
Milt,

I have moons for 3 of my cars.

For the 2 race cars (Vicky and Stude) I use the Dzus mounting set up and yes the weights go on the inside
I had WheelSmith in CA make my steel wheels with 360 degree welding and welded in the Dzus tabs as well.

For the 38 Dodge (old skool Truck)  I used moones with the screw mounting method,, those too I used the weights on the inside.

Good luck.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com