Author Topic: Bring a CB Radio!  (Read 10284 times)

Offline Papi

Bring a CB Radio!
« on: September 15, 2009, 10:02:42 PM »
I arrived as a Rookie to El Mirage at the Sept 2009 Meet.

Thought I had all my bases covered. Nope.

Before you look like a big dummy (which I am frequent at), go to Wally Mart and get yourself a CB Radio, External Speaker and Roof Mounted Magnetic Antenna. $75 Bucks later, you will save yourself from a lot of ribbing.  I think this is an SCTA-BNI deal, not sure about ECTA.

I'll be packing CB next time, two of them  :-D
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Bring a CB Radio!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 10:10:51 PM »
It's an SCTA/USFRA requirement -- you won't pass tech without one.  I'm pretty sure the SCTA rulebook (which USFRA follows) now requires a dash-mounted CB, too -- not a handheld. 

At World of Speed today we've had to turn away a few racers that didn't have a CB in their support vehicles.  Good thing that the Pilot truckstop here has a Midland CB, full power and dash mount and all -- for $40.  I don't know the price of an antenna, but it probably gets the total to $75 or so.Get a real antenna -- not a little rubber ducky-type.  The longer the better is absolutely true in CB --= a magnet-mount with a 3 1/2-foot whip, on the roof, will make a big difference vs. that little 10-inch rubber one.

The requirement is there for good reason -- so the tower can tell the support vehicle of important thinmgs like "Your driver has turned off at the 2 1/2 mile mark -- go fetch him"  or "Hey, grey pickup going past the pits -- it's a 25-mph zone.  Slow down!"
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:25:14 PM »
I sure wish BUB had CB communication. When I broke my bike and needed to be picked up, there was no communication between the BUB people and my chase crew. There was a long delay while my crew had to figure out where I was on their own and then figure out a way to get to me without crossing the courses. Whenever they tried to get to me by going on the access roads, they were met with the linesmen waving red flags. They had no idea where I was either or what my crew should do.
It cost a lot of delay to the other racers while my crew was trying to get to me. All it would have taken was a simple call from the tower to our CB (which we did have), and things would have been resolved quickly.

I just don't know why BUB prefers to run with no communications ability. Anybody else know?

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 10:26:41 PM »
You've hit reason 14-B why we choose not to race at Bub's.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

GTO48

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 11:20:07 PM »
It's an SCTA/USFRA requirement -- you won't pass tech without one.  I'm pretty sure the SCTA rulebook (which USFRA follows) now requires a dash-mounted CB, too -- not a handheld. 

Including a 130 club car with no support vehicle?

Offline thechevytruckdude

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 03:30:46 PM »

Including a 130 club car with no support vehicle?

I'm guessing that that rule only applies to the real race cars and crews :-D. Not us amateur 130 mph racers. I have a cb in my 130 car anyways. Then you dont miss all the cool announcements for how fast the long course guys are going  :-o .

Offline Constant Kinetics

• I'm not Crazy, I'm Invincible!
    • Constant Kinetics
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 02:50:50 PM »
Not trying to be goofy, as my  SCTA rulebook is yet to arrive. What about bikes?
Wierd is good

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 03:26:59 PM »
A CB is required in the support vehicle for ALL race entries -- bike or car or truck.  There is no requirement for a radio IN the race vehicle.  Dash mounted -- because handhelds have proven themselves to not do the job consistently.  Anyway -- handhelds now and then get dead batteries -- we all hope the support vehicle won't have that problem.

If you can -- mount the antenna permanently on the roof of the support vehicle, too -- it'll work better that way.  A good magnet-mounted antenna will work okay, though,
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 05:05:01 PM »
My Wilson "little Will" magnet mount works great.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing