Author Topic: Proud American Land Speed car???  (Read 38020 times)

Offline Freud

Re: Proud American Land Speed car???
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 11:20:34 PM »
It's easy to tell if a duck has been here?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2010, 11:25:33 PM »
I need to clean my computer screen more often.

Thot I saw duck droppings on mayo's post.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 10:09:56 PM »
Now wouldnt all you people feel like jerks if it wasnt FR????

All I am saying that it is likely 99.9999997% FR, but that isnt a certainty.

I say let the fun begin, and allow Mayo....er....FR....or....whomever make it clear.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 09:13:41 AM »
While I prefer a certain modicum of privacy, I am amazed at the paranoia about FR. Not me.

If you care (or need) to know me check out (I'll make you work for it):
Rodding & Restyling, January 1959, page 51
King of the Dragsters, hard cover 1967 first edition, pages 88 and 89
Tales from the Dragstrip, hard cover 2004 first edition, page 18

My cars are faster than your cars. No brag.

Since these various blogs are often littered with partial facts and much fantasy, I only try to provide the truth. When I have the facts (from actual experience) I am happy to share.

A don't appreciate insults from (anonymous) wannabes, however.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 09:43:07 AM »

A don't appreciate insults from (anonymous) wannabes, however.

If you are FR I will insult you however I am neither anonymous or a wannabe.. :wink:

Sincerely,

John Noonan AKA "Ratcliff Hunter extraordinaire"

Offline sabat

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 10:38:04 AM »
Welcome to the board  :cheers:

I'll guess Dick Keller, or one of the guys in the background?

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 11:22:53 AM »
Welcome to the board  :cheers:

I'll guess Dick Keller, or one of the guys in the background?

Dick Keller was teamed up with Pete Farnsworth on the Blue Flame car. Pete was at Mike Cooks meet last week with his wife and they were an absolute pleasure to talk with. Wayno

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 11:52:43 AM »
Wayno, was the couple sitting across from Nancy and me the Farnsworths?  They were indeed full of information and gracious hospitality.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 12:06:30 PM »
Jon, they were in a motorhome down at the measured mile when I visited with them. I did run into them at the starting line too. That would have been on Wednesday. You might ask Pork pie. He was there. Wayno

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 01:18:01 PM »
Pete(r) and Lear Farnsworth was very often also in the pits....as I remember they were sitting for a while not far away from Nancy & Jon....Pete was wearing a light creme colored hat, also sometimes they got there cute black white (fur) dog sometimes outside the RV, which parked close behind the Speed Demon pit.
Yeap Pete and Lear are a very nice couple...and both was very deep in our sport....and it could be Pete....if it's Pete.....than we got someone who is also very knowledge about LSR.

By the way...Pete found the X1 dragster....due to this that he also got the original engine and other parts he like to restore the X1 back to running condition - he is looking for some old, special high speed tire from Firestone or Goodyear from 1966-1969....to complete the car.....Firestone was used at first, later they had Goodyear on.....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 01:31:01 PM »

My cars are faster than your cars. No brag.

Since these various blogs are often littered with partial facts and much fantasy, I only try to provide the truth. When I have the facts (from actual experience) I am happy to share.

Tell us about your cars,  we've been reading for a week about 4 cars over 400MPH and a bike real close, not to mention a Lawn Mower doing 90+ and we love the old stuff also.

This Message Board doesn't tolerate partial facts and fantasy very well either, so you won't find much of it. It's fairly well policed by the people who were there, or officiated the events.

Welcome in...
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Papi

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 03:01:18 AM »
During the 1972 record-setting weekend at Bonneville, Craig Breedlove (who was invited along with Art Arfons and Gary Gabelich) showed Tony a model of his proposed new LSR vehicle. Tony considered sponsoring Craig briefly, but the car behind the Polluion Packer was just a fiberglass knockoff of Craig's design with the driver compartment moved rearward. The concept was used by Tony to further promote his Polluton Packer company but no attempt was ever made to actually build the car.

The later Breedlove design and rocket car which was taken over by Steve Fosset and co. is for sale. Already to go 800MPH they say, and beyond.
From what I heard Steve was slated to run the jet powered car just a week after he was killed in his plane crash.

Ticket for the whole whammy: $3 million

Who is this FR person you guys are talking about  :?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 07:13:06 PM by Papi »
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2010, 10:53:05 AM »
Pete and Leah spent most of the week at the shootout down in the spectator area parked next to me, and we spent a good deal of time chatting.
It was a great pleasure to meet them both. In the Morning Pete would go down to the pit area and spend some time there before they came up to the spectator area, so he was at both places from time to time. He and I helped the 757 Camaro unload when they got there.

Pete's motor home and my photo stand are in the background of Slim's photo shot of the lawnmower.
That is Pete standing beside the motor home and I am sitting on top of the ladder tower.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii147/SeldomSeenSlim/Top%20Speed%20Shootout%202010/IMG_2711.jpg

One of the most interesting weeks I have spent at Bonneville as we had a group there in the spectator area that shared quite a few stories, between Pete and his wife Leah, stainless, Wayno, Mad Max and the video tower crew Ray and Milt I got to spend the down time with great company.
Larry
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 11:00:40 AM by hotrod »

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2010, 10:12:50 PM »
Who is this FR person you guys are talking about  huh

I will not speak ill of FR but many will. In truth he doesnt mean any harm but does have an overwhelming ablitiy to 'pet the cat backwards'. He has been banned from this and other forums on multiple occasions because he doesnt know when to let things go, however he does have a wealth of LSR history knowledge and at times I miss the drama he creates. (*but take note that I am the guy who will kick an ant hill to see'em run.)

~jh

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 11:12:12 PM »
Apologies to Mayoman.

We are all so sensitized to FNR's antics on many more sites than Landracing. No one can argue that he has been a wealth of information from all the magazines he kept that  certainly reported the "Golden Days" of thrust -  propelled Landspeed Racing.

From yours truly's stand point it's great to have one who had been there done that in the day, reporting facts that aren't backed up by obnoxious, self centered "I know more than you do" antics.

I had the pleasure of meeting Chuck Suba (sp?) when he was on the coast gathering information on what became the "Blue Flame" project and, as I recall, the 'Flame would have been HIS ride had tragic circumstances not happened. Neat guy.

Hope our nasty comments haven't turned you off from relating things the way they truly happened.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 11:40:18 PM by interested bystander »
5 mph in pit area (clothed)