Author Topic: Motorcycle Tires  (Read 9064 times)

Offline coloradodave

Motorcycle Tires
« on: September 14, 2009, 02:18:56 PM »
We are trying to find in the rule book whether or not we can run a front tire on the rear of our bike, the tire has the correct date codes and speed rating.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks Dave
No regrets

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
Re: Motorcycle Tires
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 05:17:17 PM »
Just my two cents worth....

I've seen some bike at El Mirage with front wheels on both ends....

I've also reviewed the rule book in answer to this same question and have not found where it would be against the rules.

I have noticed some manufactures state their front wheels should not be used as a drive wheel.....so I'd keep that in mind..

What's your application and why would you want to run a front wheel on the rear?

Let's see what the knowledgeable players say about this.....

Buzz
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline k.h.

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 05:35:34 PM »
It's the only way to get a VR rated 19-inch tire on the rear, probably.  For limited use, should be okay.  The question is what happens to the cross-layered belting inside if it is turning and flexing opposite to design.  Or, go with 18-inch on the rear for better availability.  What will raising the rear of the bike do for steering without compensating in the front rake and trail?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline coloradodave

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 05:39:09 PM »
We are running a narrower tire on the front and in trying to save some money we could also run narrower on the rear by using our current front set up on the rear, the front hub is drilled and tapped on both sides with the same hub diameter as the sprocket.
Thanks for the reply.

Dave 
No regrets

Offline coloradodave

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 05:41:19 PM »
We used to run rear tires on the front of custom bikes, we would reverse the rotation and they worked great.
No regrets

Offline willieworld

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 05:59:17 PM »
i build a lot of neo-classic bikes (they look classic but are made from new parts )  i had the harley shop call the tire reps and ask them if i could run a front tire on the rear---the rep said that if the tire has a arrow on it and you mount a front on the rear the arrow should point the wrong way---the reason is the stress on the front tire is from braking and the stress on the rear tire is from power applied---it has to do with the way the tire is built---some tire folks are making tires with 2 arrows now one for front fitment and one for rear fitment ---the tires i use front and rear are 90  90  21s   -------avon roadrider  rated v----------willie buchta
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 06:02:30 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline k.h.

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 06:11:47 PM »
Yeh, I forgot to say it's likely best to run the front tire backwards on the rear.  For the track only.  If you run on the street and have an accident, the other party's investigator may see the rear tire running backwards and use it as a reason to blame things on you.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 06:25:17 PM »
I remember the SCTA or ECTA made a ruling against the 2.5x17 front runners as rear tires.

Not a bike tire, but might be worth looking into WHY they made this decision (weight?)

Might also be worth running your question by the appropriate tech person.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 10:11:33 PM »
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline coloradodave

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 01:39:51 PM »
The tire we will be using has a smaller circumference than the on we used last year,that will increase the rake a little bit.
Thanks for all of your input. :-D
No regrets

Offline willieworld

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 02:10:14 PM »
the ruleing was not to let the tire be run on the drive wheel (s) not on the rear --if you have front wheel drive you could run them on the rear -------------------willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline coloradodave

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 03:50:03 PM »
Thank you very much, we will try something else I guess, I appreciate everyones input. 
No regrets

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 07:42:06 PM »
 :wink:Front wheel drive motorcycle Willie?     :cheers:
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 09:29:46 PM »
not legal or smart..... read the rule book!
kent

Offline willieworld

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 09:49:47 PM »
i was talking about cars for front wheel drive---all motorcycles rear drive front steer only ---willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta