Author Topic: Loring 2010  (Read 83245 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Loring 2010
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2010, 11:24:44 AM »
Seems to me a lot of people want a certificate pretty badly.  One that verifies that car number XX went XXX.XXX seems valid.  But a record?  When from what I understand there was little or no post-run scrutiny.  And photos from the event show even a casual observer can see class violations of SCTA standards -- and even ECTA standards if we're lead to believe they echo SCTA standards.

A few years ago I made up a Record Certificate with SCTA logos and such for a one-time driver that exceeded the one-way Bonneville speed of the record-holding car he worked on.  Called it the Fastest Mile Record for the class.  He enjoyed it.  His grandchildren liked it.  Maybe some of you guys can do the same.  And document frames are less than a buck at the 99c Stores in SoCal.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RansomT

« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2010, 11:35:26 AM »
Seems to me a lot of people want a certificate pretty badly.  One that verifies that car number XX went XXX.XXX seems valid.  But a record?  When from what I understand there was little or no post-run scrutiny.  And photos from the event show even a casual observer can see class violations of SCTA standards -- and even ECTA standards if we're lead to believe they echo SCTA standards.

A few years ago I made up a Record Certificate with SCTA logos and such for a one-time driver that exceeded the one-way Bonneville speed of the record-holding car he worked on.  Called it the Fastest Mile Record for the class.  He enjoyed it.  His grandchildren liked it.  Maybe some of you guys can do the same.  And document frames are less than a buck at the 99c Stores in SoCal.

Stan Back

Stan, you are more than welcome to attend the next Loring event and protest record runs as much as you wish.  That's why that rule is in the book.

Offline White Monster

« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2010, 12:02:28 PM »
After further consideration, I decided to help the LTA even if I have not been asked.
Using the three lists posted on their website, I will compile an "unofficial" results document for everyone's perusal and they can advise if inacuracies if desired.

The way I look at it, after paying lots of money to attend the event,
do people expect perfection the first time out ?  No.

Do they expect something ?  YES !!

In my view, the LTA should produce some 2009 Results in their 2010 Rulebook and adjustments can be made later.
At least it's something.
 :-D
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2010, 12:15:20 PM »
Ransom --

Let's see if I got this right.  You show up, pay your money, declare a class to run in, all on open "records", run any speed -- and get the "record".  And who's to protest?  No current or former record-holders -- right?  And you can declare another class next year, too!

It appeared to be a well-run event that let a lot of racers enjoy a new experience.  A great first-time event.  But the non-certified certificates are missing.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RansomT

« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2010, 12:26:18 PM »
Let's see if I got this right.  You show up, pay your money, declare a class to run in, all on open "records", run any speed -- and get the "record".  And who's to protest?  No current or former record-holders -- right?  And you can declare another class next year, too!

Stan

Maybe I can somewhat see what you are saying now and little clearer on your perspective. I see the point of no "minimums" in open classes and "what record are you really setting?".  However, on the other hand, anyone (participate) can protest a vehicle that is out of class.

I paid much more attention to the bikes than the cars and I can with some confidence that the motorcycles were "in class" based on the ECTA rules.  I can say with full confidence that I ran "in class" by both ECTA and SCTA rules.  (the car and the bike).

My take on why folks are wanting to get the "offical record" is so that they know what classes are open and/or what speed would be a new record.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
Without certification of engines size you have no certification. A SBC is a SBC, a 300ci looks no different than a 425ci. A 1300cc busa looks the same as a 1650cc.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2010, 01:11:29 PM »
Fred gets it... :cheers:

Offline White Monster

« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2010, 02:21:50 PM »
Well, I'm all done compiling a Run Log from the 3 listings on the LTA website and can provide it in Excel, Word or whatever format you desire.

For those that want one, send me a PM.

:-D
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline sabat

« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2010, 06:03:50 PM »
Without certification of engines size you have no certification. A SBC is a SBC, a 300ci looks no different than a 425ci. A 1300cc busa looks the same as a 1650cc.

Fred

That's true, unfortunately some people do cheat.

Offline tedgram

« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2010, 06:49:40 PM »
 Most of us don't cheat and would like to have a goal to shoot for.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2010, 08:32:04 PM »
I am not Switzerland and I am not playing neutral on this,,,, however....

I can see both (or the several) points of view on this.

From all accounts this was a great Inaugural Event,,, I did see several cars class jumping to set multiple class records... this was good for the LTA as it created more revenue from a fixed number of entries.. this was good ego food for the competitor as they got records for this new venue,, I see the point of publishing the Fastest MPH in each class that had a run in it,,, I see the point of the folks that ran there wanting 2 things,, a "published record of there run" and a certificate for it as well,,,

I was not there last year,, but plan to be there this year,,,, I and I feel others would like to know who ran what and in what class so we will know what classes have records and what are open,,, Myself I will not be running on an open record, so I would like to know what I must do to try to top the previous "record" or fastest run for those who argue that it is or is not a real record...

I for one feel that by starting from scratch with no minimums and running on open records serves the purpose to build up revenue and create excitement for the new club... we all know that that in a few years the main classes will be well contested and lend even more credibility to "record status"

For now Let's ALL Support this new Club,, lend and hand,, offer words or support and encouragement.. and if within your travel budget and vacation time,, come on and join in the fun..

It takes a lot of work to pull all these LSR events... North, South, East or West,,,, we are all one BIG LSR Family...... OK off my soap box,,,, Post something we can run against and see you in July ....

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2010, 10:22:49 PM »
Yabut . . .

There were cars there that violated the rules of their class.  I wasn't there.  But I could tell from 2500 miles away from small pictures that they were illegal.  So give them a record certificate because they supposedly set one in the class they declared?

The event was a success.  It should have been.  It seemed to be well thought-out, planned and executed, in spite of some misgivings of people before it happened.  I'm not trying to disparrage the event.  It must be a blast to run on pavement for a mile and a half.  But to claim a record because you say you ran in X/XX and nobody protested you?

So far it seems reasonable to offer a certificate that you went xxx.xxx.  A record?  No scrutiny?  Hey -- you had a good time -- went faster than you had before -- isn't that enuf?

Stan

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2010, 12:02:55 AM »
Stan,,

Upon reading your posts several times... I must AGREE with your intent and the future integrity of any
"CLASS RECORD" bestowed,,,

The bottom line is neither you or I attended this meet, and the folks did put on by all first hand accounts a great event,,,, I for one will do everything in my power to support them and attend the next event.

But I feel you are correct that a "Speed Certificate" is a good idea and reasonable,,, I also agree that if a entry did not confirm to the class rules then no Record can be bestowed.  So if a 3 window coupe ran as a roadster  that is an obvious miss classification...or if a Lester ran as a Liner,,,, etc...

Maybe you have hit on something and just maybe that is why it seems they are not "publishing" 2009 Records in the 2010 rule book,,, maybe 2009 was the "test event"

However, the entrants would like some verifiable evidence of there MPH  accomplishment... AND  I SEE THERE POINT TOO

I don't have the answers.... and I don't need the answers,,, all I need to know is

WHEN CAN WE REGISTER,,, I WANNA GO HAVE FUN IN LORING THIS YEAR.... if they bestow records GREAT (as long as the class rules are followed)  if they give out certs,,, that's cool too,,, if they give nothing but the time slip,,, I am OK with that too....

How fast my car goes at Loring will determine if the Stude gets  SALTY in 2010...

Ya know,, I may have miscalculated and the Stude may not get out of it's own way !!!!

Charles
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:08:22 AM by Cajun Kid »
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2010, 12:04:28 AM »
Stan, You are getting soft.  :evil:
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2010, 12:50:47 PM »
Yeah -- and it's not really comfortable.