Author Topic: Loring 2010  (Read 83231 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Loring 2010
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2009, 09:06:22 PM »
Ya think so? Sure, I betcha that's what he meant to say.  Just like the old "hanger" vs. "hangar" dispute.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline tedgram

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2009, 12:52:57 PM »
  Have a Fantastic Thanksgiving everyone!!

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 10:38:27 AM »
I had a phone discussion with a representative of the Brunswick Naval base, now known as http://www.mrra.us/contactus.html, or Midcoast Regional Redevelopment Authority.
Basically, predictably,  currently, everything is in  flux, and if we were allowed use of the place it would not be until after May 2011 when it is totally unoccupied by the military.
At that point our main issues would be appeasing the FAA, as it would probably still be a working airport, and FAA has the final say on  activities in their jurisdiction. From past experiences, and especially since 9/11, I do know they are super conservative towards non pure airport activities. Although the rep I spoke with is very focused on these types of functions, would like us or even concerts to  occasionally occupy  the premises, possibly on the big runway, as there are two.
He also mentioned our Bird Pals are local residents in Brunswick too, but we agreed that as there has been constant traffic the birds would be used to the noise presence and hopefully would not be the issue it is in Limestone.
Bottom line, we keep in touch, definitely  invite them up for LTA/2010, and give it our best shot.
Any more places of interest, please feel free to mention it here. I will be on it like a bum on a Baloney sandwich...
Bob W , LTA Seeker of Sites.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 11:00:34 AM »
We used to drag race at some of the local airports with the Flashlight Drags. The FAA had a bird (pun intended) and shut down the events. This link has the email from the FAA to the airport authorities and explains their stance on alternate use for airports. There has been much effort in the past few years to get it re-instated to no avail. They are pretty hard core about using the airport for non-aviation benefit.

It's a real shame to because the events were hugely successful, there were often times over 100 cars that showed up to race and thousands of spectators. Each one paid to get it, it was a real boon to the local airport in terms of cash flow.

http://flashlightdrags.com/whats-up-with-fld.htm

I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 07:09:02 PM »
Thanks "B",
That address, http://flashlightdrags.com/whats-up-with-fld.htm, and the enclosed PA DOT letter show in writing what I've heard for years but never saw in print.
In the late 90s some of the SCCA racing I was involved in got shunted off airports because of increasing pressure from the FAA. After 9/11 it only got worse.
As we seem to have initial enthusiasm and cooperation from the management at Brunswick, we seem to at least have a view of where our obstacles lay.
We are open to any reasonably safe Long paved surface in the North East, but obviously prefer airports.
Bob W

Offline bbarn

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 08:00:32 PM »
There is at least one local (PA) airport that is no longer going to accept FAA funding so that they can again host the flashlight drags. As a pilot and a car enthusiest, I am torn between the exclusive use of airports idea and a great place to host motor sports events. Someplace there has to be a happy medium. These venues (at least for the drags) were great boons for the local AP.

I helped setup and run the FBO at one of the local airports, the margins are beyond razor thin. These events brought in some good money for the locals, provided great entertainment for spectators, doubled as a car show for those that wanted to parade their iron but not race it, generated revenue with the local food vendors and most importantly provided a safe environment for people to run fast without being on the highways.

From what I have heard if the airport takes federal funding from the FAA, it is not going to be used for anything but aviation related events. RobFrey is good friends with the sponsor of the Flashlights, he may chime in if there have been any progress in getting waivers for the FD. If there were any workarounds short of the airport not taking FAA funds, I'm sure the process will be the same for LSR events.
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 09:42:16 PM »
I know York would draw a huge crowd if it ran drags again.  Cumberland, in Maryland, has a high speed autocross about five times a year but I have no idea how they pulled it off.  The following is a link to the group that runs it.  You can see how they help promote the airport as well.  Very well managed.

http://nationalroadrally.com/

Hey Bob,  Any word on a ship date for those shirts?  I may have to start washing my current inventory of ECTA and Bonneville shirts if they don't show up soon!   :-P

Offline entropy

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2009, 05:19:07 AM »
Hey Bob,  Any word on a ship date for those shirts?  I may have to start washing my current inventory of ECTA and Bonneville shirts if they don't show up soon!   :-P

I received my shirts day before? Thanksgiving!!!!!  woo-HOO!!!!

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2009, 05:31:16 PM »
You sure those weren't mine?  I think I had a hat coming too!   :wink:

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2009, 10:59:28 PM »
Tried to reply earlier, having some problems with slooow computer, mail not going out,like that.
Remainder of the LTA/09 shirts/hats should be out by this weekend.
200 club stuff delayed for a bunch of unavoidable reasons.
Have patience with us, you don't fire volunteers. Lame,but all I got.
Cumberland,MD is a mile long, not suitable for LSR.
We might make a road trip up to Brunswick, as it seems suitable for a Maxton-like mile, even though the aforementioned problems seem prohibitive. I think I've established myself as a guy don't give up easy.
Everybody, go find more pavement. Public roads even, we buy stuff in their towns !!!
Bob W

Offline tedgram

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2009, 01:06:24 AM »
We appreciate your good work Bob!

Offline SpdRcr

• New folks
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2010, 03:13:10 PM »
Can't wait for 2010 in the North country! :mrgreen: :cheers:

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2010, 06:48:33 PM »
Just wondered what the snow depth on the runway is now?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2010, 09:12:04 PM »
no snow, they plow that far north  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2010, 05:04:48 PM »
Hope this warms your little cockles...
Check out  http://www.lta-lsr.com/ for updates.
We'll post pre reg start dates shortly. 
We are limiting preregistrations to 150 . This may seem optimistic, but from recent info I've accumulated, we been discovered.
The Caribou Inn is practically full, only a few single bed rooms available, go to it's sister in Presque Isle, same prices /discounts as last year. We are working on another lodging option, will announce our findings shortly.
More to follow. Questions ?
Bob W LTA, answer man