Author Topic: diesel LSR engine ...witch one  (Read 7531 times)

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com
diesel LSR engine ...witch one
« on: September 08, 2009, 09:07:53 PM »
Looking for a diesel 2L, 3L and possibly a 4L engine for the liner.
not much room can't be longer that 33" or wider than 25".
my guess is a 4 cyl, 5 cyl possibly a v6 or straight 6
have been looking at the VW TDI engine, any ideas?

Rick
Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

Offline mkilger

Re: diesel LSR engine ...witch one
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 12:16:46 AM »
Rick  build a diesel roadster, B/DRMR  rear engine.  hay my hand still hurts from that  orange paint. good luck Rick. see you at El mo this weekend. :wink:

Offline Dmax65

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 12:41:10 AM »
Rick,
There are some really great small displacement diesels from 1L on up over in Europe. Hit me up on Facebook or drop by the trailer next week. I'd be happy to get you some info or put you in touch with my partner Volker who can surely point you to some really hot diesel engines.....non production.
Curtis Halvorson

Offline jauguston

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 09:33:22 PM »
Rick,

If you are considering a 1.9 VW the early ones had a mechanical injection pump that is desirable. The newer electronic fuel systems require that you have almost the whole car to scavenge the electronic goodies in the dash and other places to make the injection pump work. There are a couple of places that make mechanical pump conversions for the electronic motors but they are spendy.

There is a business called acmeadapters.com that makes adapters to put VW engines in Suzuki Samurai's, Geo Tracker and Sidekicks. I have a VW 1.6 TD in my Samurai I used the Acme kit and it was a very good adapter kit. The 1.6 and 1.9 are the same size outside. I have some pictures of the installation and some of it hanging on the hoist with the transmission and mounts on it if they wil help. I can get you dimensions from the Sami engine. We changed a couple of springs in the injection pump and it will really scoot. Only problem is I have no intercooler so the EGT will go to 1500 really quick if I am towing my utility trailer.

Jim

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 07:20:44 AM »
If you are looking at a VW TDI the guys at Kerma TDI are probably worth talking to - they are pretty much the leader in aftermarket performance in the states.

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/StoreFront
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

LittleLiner

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 11:27:12 AM »
I sent you a pm . . . .

Offline jauguston

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 01:15:32 PM »
Who is "You"?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 05:04:14 PM »
Maybe you will search in the world of commercial and industrial engines, too -- not just cars.  I don't know -- but Kubota makes a raft of different sizes (they're the OEM for the BobCat skid-steer machine I've got), and no doubt scads of other companies make diesels, too.  You might find a bunch of them in just the right displacement size and physical size by looking at this part of the diesel engine universe.  I don't know how well they'll stand up to the rigors of being adapted for racing, of course.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline maj

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 05:08:31 AM »
The newer generation common rail injected turbo diesels out of Europe are a huge step forward in hp & rev range , see if you can get a test drive in a Peugeot or Renault and you will see what impressed me recently  when a mate took me for a drive in his new car

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 11:47:04 AM »
I have done a good bit of thinking about what would make a good diesel LSR motor and without a doubt the BMW 3.0 twin turbo for the diesel 3 series is first on my list.

Most diesels are designed for low RPM fuel savers but BMW (a performance based company) has made a engine that makes some real hp from their base motor and has the potential to make considerably more.

http://www.autospies.com/news/NEW-BMW-3-Series-Diesel-286Bhp-427lb-ft-Who-Needs-Petrol-Engines-9365/

I dont think they made it to the US yet (*they are coming) but I just got back from Europe and seen (and heard) a few and must say that if you could find one this engine would be, in my opinion, very hard to beat.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

McRat

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 12:23:22 PM »
IMO,

Probably the best choice for 4L is going to be a 3.9L 4BT (I4) Cummins.  Pretty sure it will fit in that envelope (it might be too tall though), and racing parts and experience are available readily, since it shares geometry and parts with the 5.9 I6 Cummins you find in pickups, medium duty trucks, and farm equipment.  It's mechanical, so no $$$ standalone computer to run it.  They are cheap, plentiful, and can be turned way up.

With the car engines, I'm not hearing of many people turning the engines up really high.  If you need 2HP/CI or higher, it would probably be safer to start with an engine that you know can be turned up that high. 

If interested in 4BT engines, visit www.4btswaps.com and do searches and post questions.  I don't know very much about them though. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 12:53:25 PM by McRat »

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 12:08:13 AM »
IMO,

Probably the best choice for 4L is going to be a 3.9L 4BT (I4) Cummins.  Pretty sure it will fit in that envelope (it might be too tall though), and racing parts and experience are available readily, since it shares geometry and parts with the 5.9 I6 Cummins you find in pickups, medium duty trucks, and farm equipment.  It's mechanical, so no $$$ standalone computer to run it.  They are cheap, plentiful, and can be turned way up.

With the car engines, I'm not hearing of many people turning the engines up really high.  If you need 2HP/CI or higher, it would probably be safer to start with an engine that you know can be turned up that high. 

If interested in 4BT engines, visit www.4btswaps.com and do searches and post questions.  I don't know very much about them though. 

I agree. Turbo motors in production cars are just not strong enough. You can probably run at least 100 psi of boost and make over 1200hp with 4Bt. 2000 hp is not uncommon on the 5.9s anymore. Maybe talk to the truck pull guys or visit enterpriseengine.com
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline RichFox

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 10:12:38 AM »
Having been in on putting that Nissan SOHC 3 liter V6 in that car I will go out on a limb and say that the engine in my truck (3.9 Cummins) won't go there. That Thermo-king little Scamper had a Yanmar in it as I remember. Is Snyder still around? Maybe he would have some ideas.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 10:15:40 AM by RichFox »

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 10:38:27 PM »
Having been in on putting that Nissan SOHC 3 liter V6 in that car I will go out on a limb and say that the engine in my truck (3.9 Cummins) won't go there. That Thermo-king little Scamper had a Yanmar in it as I remember. Is Snyder still around? Maybe he would have some ideas.

The 3.9 is really lame until it's turned up but I believe the performance potential is there.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline RichFox

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 09:08:48 AM »
I didn't mean they don't GO. I mean it won't fit.