Author Topic: Cleaning salt off of motorcycles / electronics  (Read 33289 times)

Offline bvillercr

Re: Cleaning salt off of motorcycles / electronics
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
hey Kent if you want me to take your place at calloways fence let me know i'll just have to buy my ticket a.s.a.p but would be more than happy to take care of this, but could we make it around 8 just in case my flight gets delayed.8-)

:roll:  Internet toughness at its best, and from a couple thousand miles away. :roll:

I'm surprised you are still commenting on this thread.  You said enough already FATBOY, don't put your foot in your mouth too. :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2009, 12:58:09 AM »
This is sort of off the current topic.  Forgive me.

An earlier post on this thread mentioned that radiators may be damaged beyond salvage by salt.  Radiators cost a lot of $$$.

I dug up some pictures that show how I use water to get the salt out of a bike chain.  See Team Go Dog Go build diary.  Although I have not tried it, immersion in water seems like a good idea for salt-packed radiators.  This dunking method works well if it is done right away.  It does not work item that are already corroded.

I have always had problems with salt corrosion on the Triumph oil radiator.  This year I sprayed it with ACF50 anti-corrosion spray a few days before we left home.  Usually I spray the fairing but not the radiator.  I did not wash the salt off of the Triumph until we got home days after the event.  The salt washed off of the radiator and there was no corrosion.  The anti-corrosion spray worked. 

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2009, 01:24:18 AM »
Great information thank you, I never have a problem with the radiators on our Busa powered cars and bikes however I have a simple fif.

I throw them away after I see the cooling fins start to deteriorate from being on the salt.

I do carry a spare in the extra parts pile in case of a a problem however I do like your fix.

Thanks Wobbly and good luck  :cheers:

Please make sure that you do not have 1/2" inch of salt on top of your pistons however, I am sure it would still run however not the best  :wink:

John Noonan

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2009, 01:53:01 AM »
Ran a forward facing carb on a two stroke about 6" behind the front wheel with no air cleaner. Lots O Salt all over the carb. Took out a spark plug on one run, found a few nicks on the piston in tear down, zero accumulation or signs of actual salt on the piston.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Online Stan Back

« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2009, 06:49:19 PM »
That's 'cause you didn't run a K&N filter -- better luck in accumulating next time.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2009, 09:22:15 AM »
Noonan... tell the story about the xr50.?.... wasn't it you rode flat out with a GPS then Kaz got on the same bike and went considerably slower..... i don't want to throw our Kaz buddy under the bus or burst his self proclaimed "elite rider" esteem.... but please refresh my memory of how much slower kaz was on your bike?... Amo i think you remember, you were there, any facts? Hey Kaz maybe you can remember and tell us how many passes you made trying to ride it as fast as John?

Anyone gonna give up the details of the xr50 pit bike race? I would sure like to hear about it  :?
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc