Author Topic: Cleaning salt off of motorcycles / electronics  (Read 33257 times)

Offline mtkawboy

Re: Cleaning salt off of motorcycles / electronics
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2009, 12:59:04 PM »
Seems kind of shy and laid back !

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2009, 08:40:42 PM »
Kaz has and NHRA Pro Stock Championship ......I'm impressed!
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2009, 02:56:17 PM »
The team Go Dog Go build diary shows how I tape up the Triumph.  The tape was pulled off after the meet and the salt came off with it.  The salt did not get into the electrics.  The tape prevented this.  Triumph (Hinckley) uses a special grease on their electric terminals.  This really helps.  My local auto parts shop sold me a tube.  I wore off the label and do not know the brand or exact description.

Pick the time when you run.  Usually there is a day when the salt is dry, tight, and less obnoxious.

The Triumph gets a good wash with cold running water from the top down and it is torn apart for a complete cleaning.  Usually I do not remove the engine from the frame, take off the swingarm, or pull off the triple clamps.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2009, 03:16:35 PM »
John, where does KAZ store his NHRA Pro Bike Championship trophy?

FREUD

right here Deepstick  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TywnyPVOx2c    8-)

:-o :? :-o :? :-o :?

Offline Commuta_Busa

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 08:45:07 AM »
does it help the bikes if you powder coat as much aluminum parts (ie frame, swingarm, ets) as possible? I gues radiators are considered consumable goods.  :-D

Offline jorah

• New folks
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 11:24:09 AM »
A quick status update:

The team here at Mission elected the "complete tear down" option.  We found salt in the oddest places (inside the swingarm, inside wire bundles, etc).  We had used shielded bearings in some of our drivetrain components and actually found salt inside the bearings.  So they were replaced with sealed versions.

At any rate, thanks again for all of your forum help!

Jorah

Super Kaz

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009, 02:15:18 PM »
A quick status update:

The team here at Mission elected the "complete tear down" option.  We found salt in the oddest places (inside the swingarm, inside wire bundles, etc).  We had used shielded bearings in some of our drivetrain components and actually found salt inside the bearings.  So they were replaced with sealed versions.

At any rate, thanks again for all of your forum help!

Jorah

Jorah,
After Destroying 1 of my Motor's in a Dyno Shoot out back in 2003 :x! I found 1/2 inch of Salt on Top of each Piston,and it still managed to  make 250+rwhp :-o! I even had K&N Filter's on everything too :?! Your doing it the Right Way as the Salt Gremlin's are cruel little Devil's :wink:!
Good Luck,and Go Fast,
S/K

Offline joea

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009, 05:34:09 PM »
.......kaz.......are you kidding me...?....

our motor has been together for 6 years......

which included running sw a couple times then travelling over the ocean to aus, through
the outback, and lake gairdner....and back for a few
years..........ALL   WITHOUT airfiltration.........

and the pistons look new from undersides.....and almost
entire clean on top.......

must really be a salt shaker.....wow........

modification:......almost clean on top like, alittle carbon that wipes off, almost none, no salt
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:35:41 PM by joea »

Offline joea

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2009, 05:38:26 PM »
"""I found 1/2 inch of Salt on Top of each Piston"""

might need to adjust the squish clearance.......

and or drive through more air and less salt.......

Super Kaz

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2009, 06:41:29 PM »
"""I found 1/2 inch of Salt on Top of each Piston"""

might need to adjust the squish clearance.......

and or drive through more air and less salt.......

JOE PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS! I'LL BET YOU YOUR BIKE IT'S TRUE :roll:!!!!!!

Offline joea

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2009, 06:59:24 PM »
...uh....Kaz.....this was supposed to be funny........

.and ...i have no idea how high performance Harley engines
are built.......my bad......i didnt know there would be that much
piston to head clearance.........

internet commo not always understood by all.......

i have no interest in betting on folks stories....my bike is worth
ALOT less than yours....trust me....

....i found the idea of 1/2 of salt on top of pistons......pretty f'in crazy....

hence the statement...."are you kidding"...and ...."wow that must be a real salt shaker".........

and after 6 yrs on same engine with no salt perceptable in/on pistons....its
pretty wild to imagine 1/2 inch of salt .............

speaking out loud here since were sharing personal lsr experiences........

Offline willieworld

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2009, 07:37:37 PM »
just got my rear wheel back from the harley shop today---it kept going flat after i got back from bonneville--the service manager said  " we found salt inside the bead and the tire"  im not sure i believe that because it never went flat at bonneville only after i got home--maybe the guy that filled kaz moter full of salt put some in my tire  willie buchta
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 07:43:04 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2009, 08:18:42 PM »

When it rains, it pours.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2009, 09:35:41 PM »
"1/2 of salt on the piston dome" what a frickin crack up!!!!!! Kaz if there was a hundred tho (thats.100) on top of the piston that motor probably wouldnt turn over. I'll take some of that 1/2" bet! (1/2" is 500 tho kaz or .500 of an inch) how much ya wanna loose? do ya think you might of had 5 thousand ten thousand's instead? ( it looks like this .5000)

Super Kaz

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2009, 11:00:20 PM »
"1/2 of salt on the piston dome" what a frickin crack up!!!!!! Kaz if there was a hundred tho (thats.100) on top of the piston that motor probably wouldnt turn over. I'll take some of that 1/2" bet! (1/2" is 500 tho kaz or .500 of an inch) how much ya wanna loose? do ya think you might of had 5 thousand ten thousand's instead? ( it looks like this .5000)

I don't Lie or Steal,and have Nothing to gain by trying Tell what truly was found upon inspection of my Race Motor after winning the BUB's Fastest American V-Twin class and the 1st MAN EVER TO BREAK 200MPH @ Bonneville on a Harley Davidson V-rod{Fact check it out :roll:} My Engine Builder has 30+Years of Building and Racing Motorcycle and His Name is SAM TERRANOVA{www,turbotecusa.com}  P.O.Box 1221
Black Canyon City , AZ 85324
Phone: (623) 374-9734
Call him for yourself ,but Please  Bet Me your Electric Bike 1st Kent , since you seem so sure ,and I will Gladly take your Bike from you! I'm sharing my story with a new member that I have Nothing to gain from but to try and help a fellow racer and you call me a LIAR!I have the Pic's and the Motor{whats left to prove ,but I want you to learn the Hard way$$$} ! Ask John Noonan I don't need to BS anyone ,and can back it all up if your willing to put you Big Mouth and Money on the Line too  :x ! I'm done arguing and being called a Liar by IDIOT'S that" Hate The Player not the game." I will see you at the Races Kent and will be making your Life INTERESTING TO SAY THE  LEAST MR electric  :roll:. YOU HAVE STARTED $HIT WITH ME 1 TO MANY TIMES,and I'm tired of it. Put Up or shut Up Please. I don't need to prove myself to anyone,but if you want to bet your Bike I will take that bet in a Heart Beat! Sorry Jorah for the petty Back Stabbing but welcome to the LSR Club. My Bet still stands to either of You Put up or shut up I'm done arguing over the Truth. You have Never raced what I have and no matter what you think you know it's not the case with me. I'm done arguing,and will let my performance Past,Present ,and future do the Talking. I'M FINISHED WITH This FORUM BS AND apologise to the new member's. Kent's been bustin my Balls for a while for personal reason that I wont get into right now.I'm Tired and have Much Bigger Fish to Fry,but I'm from Vegas and have the Titles to every Car,truck and Motorcycles I own ,and will take this bet any time you want loose it KENT! I sure can't wait to see you Race @ El mirage THIS NEXT MEET KENT AND PLAN ON TAKING EVER RECORD I POSSIBLE CAN FROM YOU  :-D! Sorry for the BS,but I don't Lie and I don't steal. END OF STORY.....