Author Topic: Hello, Newb checking in  (Read 2216 times)

RoninR1

Hello, Newb checking in
« on: June 25, 2004, 03:51:00 AM »
Hi all,
 As any normal guy I'm interested in all things fast.  

Here is my obligatory newbie question...

I know there are a lot of rules and categories and such, but what does one need to do to get out on the flats?  That is, I have a slightly modified sportbike that will run over 170 mph (NOT according to speedo), don't ask me how I know.  I would like to put a little more work into her and nudge her over the magic 200 mark in a legal and safe setting(as safe as you can get in this type of situation).  I'm not interested in any records other than personal ones.  
 What do I need to do?

Offline hawkwind

Re: Hello, Newb checking in
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 05:19:00 AM »
get a busa and give it a shot of nitrous 200+ no probs lol
 get a rule book ,set up bike to conform pay your reddies and go have some fun
 Hawkwind
slower than most

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 03:39:00 AM »
Ronin,any late  model large displacement sportbike should get you up to speed if you give it the NO2.
 As Hawkwind says--get the rulebook,go out and sit looking at bike while checking rulebook so you don't miss something simple.Pack spares,tools,lotsa water,and come on out.Be sure to pay attention to new leathers rule.
 Or just go for 150 club as a way to get used to salt racing.It's got almost the same requirements(except the dumb new leathers)and you can run as many runs as you want to get over 150.
 Where are you in CA?I am located in Vacaville and am prepping 2 bikes for this year.Be glad to help out.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

RoninR1

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 03:51:00 AM »
Where can I get a hard copy of the rulebook?  I'd like to stay away from the NO2 only because I ride more canyons than flats.  Anyway, I think it can be done just by upping the compression and some minor engine tweaks.  Is there something local so that I know where I stand currently?  As for the leathers, I usually ride with a full one piece Hein-Gericke, is that good enough?

I'm down in San Clemente, any help would be appreciated.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 12:01:00 PM »
Click on the SCTA link upper right hand of home page.  Order rule book. Or drop on by El Mirage during any meet and buy one, enter your bike when your ready, and run it.