Author Topic: 500cc pushrod bike project  (Read 56446 times)

Offline Freud

Re: 500cc pushrod bike project
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2009, 04:33:10 PM »
Lectrons are magic up there.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline JimL

Re: 500cc pushrod bike project
« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2009, 12:55:38 AM »
ooops!! :-o

Soooo....I'm checking out my growing stack of engines, and discover that the 674cc engine is MUCH taller than the 500.  It turns out there's a deeper crankcase (pan) hanging off the bottom.  The extra 3/8" deck height was not going to be a problem, but the case sure is.

soooo......I picked up another old steel frame Katana....looks like I'd better get cracking on a new frame and a new plan.  I'll have to continue with 500cc in the current bike (and the option of 1000cc).  The new bike will be built to take the 674 engines (for 750 or 1350).  I'm guessing rear suspension might be good, with that much power.

Meanwhile, the parts struggle is going forward (trying to find rod bearings and other internals, that have been gone for years).

As the old saying goes, "The best laid plans of mice and men."  I'm about where I was a year ago....still making mistakes and trying to dig my way around them.

Good luck with everyones projects, this winter.  I'll try to post something when I have something more interesting, but it'll be a while.
JimL