Author Topic: National Geographic documentary  (Read 8901 times)

Dana Kemp

National Geographic documentary
« on: July 27, 2005, 01:20:25 PM »
Hello all,

I'm a producer for National Geographic and we're heading out to speedweek this year to make a documentary about the event. We're seeking to feature a team racing a fast streamliner and a motorbiker - trying to get in touch with Susan Robertson actually on that end.

My question is, does anyone have contact info for Ms. Robertson and any recommendations on who to follow for the super fast streamliners? I understand the Nish folks, as well as possibly the Burklands may not show this year.  

Any advice is appreciated!

Best,

Dana A Kemp
dkemp@ngs.org
202/862-5287

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 02:19:27 PM »
Sent you a PM
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 06:43:08 PM »
Feature a Streamliner bike also...

ACK or Sam...

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 05:17:41 PM »
Danny Boy will be there, both cars.
rht

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 09:27:02 PM »
Hello Dana
What the heck is a motorbiker? Do you mean a bike racer? Cool! There will be a lot of fast stuff out there. Probably will be some fast bikes as will. Probably the best looking "motorbiker" will be Susan. But ya see, those kinds of docs have been done before, a couple of years ago they featured the Wagner ladies and John Noonan. If you really want to do something different and really show our sport, do your Docu on the starter, Jim Jenson. He's a character and he see's almost every race vehicle that goes down the course. Also cover the safety crew Ed and Chris Sheerer, They chase almost every car on the course and see a lot of excitement cuz they usually are the first person to each vehicle and give the driver an unofficial time slip. Lots of jumping up and down.
As with all of the other racers, we would all love to have you cover our particular vehicle, but it would be different and would do our sport better if you cover about our racing instead of some race team. Cover the starting line, cover the chase and crash crews, cover the fights with the tech guys in impound, cover them grooming the course and course prep. There?s a better story to tell than just covering a couple of race teams.
Good luck and bring sunscreen. Thanks for your interest in our sport.
Kent Riches

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 10:23:42 PM »
Anybody know whether this doco went onto production?
Can't find a reference on the Nat Geo web site.

Regs,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories
Regards,
PJQ

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 06:48:49 AM »
I visited with her last year but I did not notice her this year.  I heard there was a group filming but we were pretty busy.  I would like to see what they produced.

John

Offline Freud

Film Crew
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 09:36:55 AM »
I spoke to one of the camera men at the drivers meeting but I never saw them again.

Somewhere I had the idea that they planned several different story lines.

If anyone stumbles on to the time they are to be aired, be certain to notify us on this site.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 01:08:29 PM »
Dana sent me an email that was hard to understand but I think the information is that the film is to be shown soon in the UK and then in the US on TBS later.

John

Clay Taylor

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 07:49:38 PM »
All -

The National Geographic Explorer people contacted Ed Shadle and Keith Zanghi of the North American Eagle LSR team about Speed Week, but since the NAE would not be competing there, they referred NGeo to Steve and Dave Green of Canada.   Their lakester that was going to be driven by Steve's neice, Nadine Endicott, and the NG people were all over that.    They ended up filming the car back at home and on the salt, and mounted cameras on the car for runs.

Keith told me that the NGeo program will air later this year, as will as the Discovery Channel's piece on the NAE runs at El Mirage this past June.

Kieth's post on Speed Week can be found on the NAE website at

http://www.landspeed.com/060901.asp

Clay Taylor
Moodus, CT

Offline PJQ

• South end, Land of Oz
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 11:53:23 PM »
Thanks for the info, will keep an eye on the Landspeed site for news.

A Discovery Channel crew were at Lake Gairdner for Speed Week 2003, but nothing's surfaced from their efforts. These kids had never been off the British Isles - flew to Adelaide, hired a mobile home, drove straight into the desert, with little preparation.   :oops:  
They were well looked after and filmed from sun-up to sunset and stayed all week. Seems a waste.

Regs,
PJQ
Regards,
PJQ

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 12:22:30 AM »
Dana,

Sorry I didn't make it to the Salt this year so you could have featured the olde Bomber in another National Geo article.  A few years back (like 18 maybe) you folks had an article about the Salt from a geologic perspective, and as almost an afterthought you mentioned the Speed Trials.  There was only one picture of a car shown... mine, although at the time it was owned and being run by Jack Illiff.

Anyway, hope you got what you came for.  Everyone says it was a stunner of a meet, so I'm sure you had a great time.  And I'm looking forward to your article in Olde Yeller.

All the best,

Jim
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline Tom Shannon

• http://www.landracing.com
Re: National Geographic documentary
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 11:13:17 AM »
I've been fortunate to see a sneak peek of the 2005 Speed Week Nat;l Geo tv Documentary. Great one hr program. Featuring Susan Robertson of Faulkner/Livingston Motorcycle. Plus Earl Wooden Liner,Ed Shadle Lakester,Keith Turk & Ted Wenz Berkley,Mike Cook Alfa Romeo. Plus interviews with Tom Burkland. Some footage of Mike Cook,Starter,Jim Jensen,Rice Bros. Timing,Pre-Stage,George Calloway. Plus many others.
Even our beloved Prozac,Bob Sights!!
Also very fitting, memorial tribute,John Beckett. Even our own Boatman,Ed Weldon is seen with his infamous canoe,paddling after the  SW rainout.
Heard it may air in Jan. 2007. Had to get used to their mention of kilos/hr not mph! LOL Enjoy!
Tom Shannon
On The Road