Author Topic: Rebuild for '10  (Read 11280 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Rebuild for '10
« on: August 23, 2009, 05:52:58 PM »
This last SW I got to spend a lot of time with a guy named Lee Kennedy. Basically he was very anti the fronts (14X5) I was using (although after shaving the rubber off and pulling some weight they went over 208 and a spin and they still look mint).

However I was told not to bring the car back if I plan on running +200 with them.

Not going to argue this statement and I dont know if anyone else has had dealings with LK I know he just has my best interest at heart and truthfully like the guy (even though he can be a little hard lined).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had also just simply overlooked a 200 MPH requirement.
This is that all cars over 200 need 5 bolt wheels with 1" lugs.

I had 4 bolt with .75 lugs.
I was allowed to run but had to add 2 additional lugs for a total of 6 per wheel.
I can promise that adding lugs to a wheel in the middle of a desert is not the easiest thing to do but made it work.

Before I even got home I was already on the line about getting the 5 bolt hubs that are on Gen II Mazda Rx7s for the turbo model. These hubs are like gold because for whatever reason people racing SCCA (or other) want to have the 5 bolt wheels.

My pops found a guy up the street from where he lives with a complete set of turbo Rx7 rear componets and let him have:

Primary control arms
Rotors
Hubs including bearings
Axles with CVs (both)
Calipers
(the bearing hubs already had the anti rear steer bushings installed...the bushings alone are about 75$).

All for 50$.

Needless to say I would of paid 50 or more for the hubs alone!

Here are the coveted 5 bolt hubs.

To be able to fit the 1" lugs (1-1/16th for next year) I had to change from the 12MMX1.5 studs to the other. It almost looks tiny sitting next to the new fat one!

Here is the diffrence between the brake rotors.
Clearly the turbo version is a better rotor and even though brakes are not the best thing to slow ya down on the salt, I like knowing that these brakes are better suited for high speed use.

I vowed not to let myself get into the last minute rush that has plagued me for the last 3 years. I want to have this car done and ready to go months before SW. (*funny, I said this last year also!).

~JH

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 05:56:07 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Rebuild for '10
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 06:25:29 PM »
JH;

With a deal like that, you should paint the guy up the street's name on your car as a sponsor!

Congratulations on making the heroic thrash work there in the pit.  :cheers:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 06:27:26 PM »
This last SW I got to spend a lot of time with a guy named Lee Kennedy. Basically he was very anti the fronts (14X5) I was using (although after shaving the rubber off and pulling some weight they went over 208 and a spin and they still look mint).

However I was told not to bring the car back if I plan on running +200 with them.

Not going to argue this statement and I dont know if anyone else has had dealings with LK I know he just has my best interest at heart and truthfully like the guy (even though he can be a little hard lined).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~JH

Lee Kennedy :?  Never met him...............................  :wink:

Still trying to figure out who keeps putting these yellow "tags" on my car though. I go pickup my driver and the car has a tag on it..............  :-D
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 06:37:17 PM »
HotNuts - Lee Kennedy is one of those people that make Speed Week possible. He is asked a thousand questions and given very few solutions.  However, if you ask him a question he will give you an answer. If the answer does not meet your requirements then that is a different problem.  We all have to take the time and read the rule book every year - rules change - and apply them to our car and class. Look at the time and effort you sent fixing your problem at the Salt when you could have been racing.       
              Lee and Kiwi Steve do have your health and safety in mind when the look over your car - there is a lot of expierence in those two and their team of inspectors.    Pat

Offline Bville701

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 07:13:27 PM »
Pat,

I agree with you 100%. Those two guys and ALL of the inspectors are looking out for the safety of the racer. I appreciate ALL that they do. No matter if they have good things to say or things that I don't agree with, I will ALWAYS listen to them because they are there for ME and that means a lot to me. Thank you inspectors and all of the volunteers.

Funny Dad. I think Lee Kennedy is a new best friend of us LeFevers.     :cheers:    :-D
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 07:26:39 PM »
HotNuts - Lee Kennedy is one of those people that make Speed Week possible. He is asked a thousand questions and given very few solutions.  However, if you ask him a question he will give you an answer. If the answer does not meet your requirements then that is a different problem.  We all have to take the time and read the rule book every year - rules change - and apply them to our car and class. Look at the time and effort you sent fixing your problem at the Salt when you could have been racing.      
              Lee and Kiwi Steve do have your health and safety in mind when the look over your car - there is a lot of experience in those two and their team of inspectors.    Pat

Pat and Bville, I agree 100%.

The only issue I had is that after I installed the additional lugs he wanted to have a certified mechanical engineer say the hubs were not compromised by adding the lugs.

I am not saying this is bad....after all additional lugs were added and therefore the hubs had to be drilled to accommodate the studs.
BUT....
If I had modified the hubs at my house there would be no one calling out that they needed to be OKed by an engineer. These cars utilize thousands of components that are one offs and modified and those parts dont need to be inspected or certified by a qualified mechanical engineer.

-for instance-

I am currently drilling my new hubs to accommodate the giant studs in the picture. I am removing stock from the hub.....these wont need to be signed off on next year.

Thankfully, I knew someone that fit the bill regarding qualifications and was at SW. It was just really hard on us to have to need a person with those rare qualifications give us the OK. If this person didnt show up we wouldnt of been able to run.

This just seemed a little rough, that being said it all worked out. Again I know LK is just looking out for us and his decision was also in conjunction with not liking the front tires so there is more to the story.

Congratulations on making the heroic thrash work there in the pit.

Neil....you of all people knew the struggle we had......
3 years of running the car and that was the worst tech experience yet.....way worse than our first year in the new car line. Our inspector was in training and picked over details that were crazy.

I still cant sleep!

~JH

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 07:30:11 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 07:53:15 PM »
Methinks that maybe those THIRTEEN by five old top fuel front tires outta be looked at REEEAL hard by BNI tech -Goodyear, as I understand it ,was nervous when they built them originally- I've mentioned this before -only because Garlits had put airplane tires on his car. (Yrs truly even witnessed "Big Daddy" re-doing the front axle @ Bakersfield to accept them when his wheels with belts on them didn't perform).

Most on the market are old and/or used (I've mentioned I own a set of "Stickers" myself).

I think Goodyear's expertise should be called on to determine their use in Landspeed racing.

HotNutz, why'd you SHAVE them?
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Bville701

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 08:17:37 PM »
JH-

I understand where you are coming from, and I know that this makes things difficult. You have to admit, the jobs of Lee Kennedy and the inspectors isn't easy. Everyone just does the best they can.  :cheers:

I'm glad that everthing worked out OK for you, and that you were able to race. It can be very fustrating to get all the way to the Salt and not being able to race. Just try and remember that most inspectors are racers too, and they are on your side looking out for your best interest.

I also agree with Mr. Bystander (I wish you would tell me who you are?) that these tires should be checked with Goodyear to see if they can withstand the speeds of LSR. Then we can bring to the attention of the SCTA Board Members. I don't think many people know enough about these tires, which could be why they create a problem.
Ryan LeFevers

Offline jl222

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 10:41:51 PM »

Jonny its the LUG NUTS that have to be 1 in not the studs  :-P

JL222

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 11:07:26 PM »
HotNutz, why'd you SHAVE them?

To reduce outside outside mass of the tire.

When the tire "went away" it just threw the rubber off the cord. The tire was still intact and held air.

By reducing the amount of extra rubber around the tire the outside doesnt generate the centrifugal force, causing less heat and keeps the tire together.

As crazy as this sounds.....in one run at 202 I lost two tires, one blistered and one as seen in the pic.

After shaving all the rubber off the spares I was able to run 208 (214.8 on GPS but had to keep lifting due to getting out of shape) but the tires didnt fail.

Clearly removing the extra rubber......as I was TOLD to do (but didnt the first time) was a factor in them not coming apart at the higher speed.

Once again I should of listened to the voice of experience. I didnt shave the first because I forgot, not because I didnt hear it....but my conscious knows that if I thought it was that important I wouldnt of overlooked it.

Jonny its the LUG NUTS that have to be 1 in not the studs  tongue

JL222

Dang... do you know how much I had to pay for 2" lug nuts!!!!!

LOL

*Andres Segovia

Offline jl222

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 11:12:35 PM »

Big NUTS are better :-D

JL222

Offline Bville701

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 11:33:43 PM »
 :-D
Ryan LeFevers

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 12:19:26 AM »

Why oh why would you KICK a Sleeping dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!! by your own admission you had a bad case of the Dumb Head

---you "Forgot" to shave the tires and you didn't pick up on the wheel Studs change for over 200--- then you go try to cast dispersions on the inspectors---you should be having sleepless nights because you are kicking yourself so hard for being so" ------ " ---you hurt so hard you can't sleep at all   !!!!!!!!!!!!! you should be thankfull you got to run...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 10:16:36 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline mkilger

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 12:27:41 AM »
JH, if I look at some of the cars at speedweek (coming from a Professional car builder- fabricator) I myself would not pass alot of them, be greatfull you got to run ,just remember the faster you run the safer your car should be.  If you are not comforable with welding and fabricating you should have a professional do it. Lee has years of engenering background as well as many record holding race cars under his belt.  He knows what to look for.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 06:20:30 AM »
To Lee (Kennedy) and Kiwi (Steve) - this guys (and all the other tech  guys) got there hearts on the right place - they hanging around in the heat to keep us safe...

To Lee - especially - it helps to have a sixpack of donouts under the paperwork......  :-D

Also - Jonny - you had the bad luck that to the time you was in the tech, Lee had a real Rockhardnuts in the tech in the shape of a German who had built a lakester and brought it over from Germany to the salt - may be the communication in Bavarian and American English didn't improve the situation  :roll:

Five days later Lee and a workshop in Wendover had survived all his activities.

This, just as a excuse for Lee if he missed sometimes his normal mood....  :|
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 02:05:41 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)